IGNORED

7800Basic Horizontal Scrolling

Mord

I've been tinkering with the samples included with 7800Basic, and because I'm going to want it eventually, I decided to try to get some horizontal scrolling working.

I tried to get vertical scrolling as well, but naturally that failed. I did think of how to get some zelda-styled screen switching vertically but haven't actually tried to implement it yet.

At any rate, after a couple weeks of slamming my head into a wall, yesterday I finally stopped and decided to rework the calculations I had done up for it that were causing... interesting results. I cleaned up the code a bit, and I'm sure it's not nearly as efficient as it could be, but it works!

Feel free to use/modify/etc for your own games if you think it'll help. As you can see from the graphics used, I essentially built/expanded this from the adventurer.bas sample. :)

scroll.zip

scroll.bas.a78

• Like 9

I feel a great disturbance in the Force... as if dozens of voices suddenly cried out for 7800 Zelda, and were silenced as they realized this was just a demo.

Well done, Mord! Seeing someone push the boundaries of the current 7800basic code base like this puts more fuel in my tank. :thumbsup:

• Like 6

I've been tinkering with the samples included with 7800Basic, and because I'm going to want it eventually, I decided to try to get some horizontal scrolling working.

I tried to get vertical scrolling as well, but naturally that failed. I did think of how to get some zelda-styled screen switching vertically but haven't actually tried to implement it yet.

At any rate, after a couple weeks of slamming my head into a wall, yesterday I finally stopped and decided to rework the calculations I had done up for it that were causing... interesting results. I cleaned up the code a bit, and I'm sure it's not nearly as efficient as it could be, but it works!

Feel free to use/modify/etc for your own games if you think it'll help. As you can see from the graphics used, I essentially built/expanded this from the adventurer.bas sample. :)

Sweet - any bins?

Sweet - any bins?

Oops. Guess I should have left that in the zip as well. Well, the source is there so it's easy enough to compile to get the bin. I'll remember to include them the next time I have something. :)

Probably going to work on the pseudo-vertical scrolling next.

• Like 2

Finally, here's a more zeldaish scrolling in both directions in case anyone wants that. This one calculates the number of the room you're in as well - just requires you to seed it properly when placing/moving the player from room to room. Yes, I'm going to move on to something else now. :D

2015-03-12-scroll.zip

scroll.bas

scroll.bas.a78

scroll.bas.bin

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

This is insanely great. So who's going to do Zelda?

I'm going to guess "no one". 7800 RPGs have been talked about for years on AtariAge but no formal game has ever materialized. Just a lot of demos and WIPs.

As much as I'd love it to happen, they are lots of work to develop and test sadly.

The demo is terrific though!

Edited by DracIsBack
  • Like 1

Wow, terrific stuff! Amazing speed on the scrolling, TOO fast in fact!

Thanks. The vertical scrolling can be slowed down some by skipping frames, but since 7800basic doesn't actually do vertical scrolling, I have to jump the background by a full tile at a time. When it's going as fast as that you don't really notice it.

Anyway, I was adjusting the horizontal scrolling to scroll on it's own. All it does is loop the background as it moves along. Testing it in Prosystem I found I noise most of the time while it was doing it's job, although there were some instances where the sound just stopped and the scrolling continued on.

Could anyone test this on real hardware and/or MESS to see if you get similar results, or if it's running quiet. (I'd prefer quiet since there's no sounds being intended. :)) I'm going to continue to look over the code for anything weird, but there really isn't that much code to look at!

I really need to get something for testing on hardware at some point. :D

ss.bas.bin

ss.bas.asm

I'm going to guess "no one". 7800 RPGs have been talked about for years on AtariAge but no formal game has ever materialized. Just a lot of demos and WIPs.

As much as I'd love it to happen, they are lots of work to develop and test sadly.

The demo is terrific though!

Eventually I plan on tackling those kinds of things, but right now I'm pretty newbish at this. Beyond trying to draw sprites for a future rpg/adventure game and trying to do some stress tests I haven't been doing a lot of work on it.

• Like 1

And after doing more testing, including testing with the included samples, doesn't look like there's anything wrong with the program. I started trying other roms and I was still getting it. Apparently something happened to prosystem (I'm using wine on ubuntu currently to run it) that caused the issue. After I restarted the computer the noise went away. First time I've had that happen to me, guess it's another thing to keep in mind. :)

Thanks. The vertical scrolling can be slowed down some by skipping frames, but since 7800basic doesn't actually do vertical scrolling, I have to jump the background by a full tile at a time. When it's going as fast as that you don't really notice it.

Anyway, I was adjusting the horizontal scrolling to scroll on it's own. All it does is loop the background as it moves along. Testing it in Prosystem I found I noise most of the time while it was doing it's job, although there were some instances where the sound just stopped and the scrolling continued on.

Could anyone test this on real hardware and/or MESS to see if you get similar results, or if it's running quiet. (I'd prefer quiet since there's no sounds being intended. :)) I'm going to continue to look over the code for anything weird, but there really isn't that much code to look at!

I really need to get something for testing on hardware at some point. :D