IGNORED

Homebrew Idea; Death Race (Exidy) Colecovision Port

Gribble101

It does reveal the problem with this kind of situation, doesn't it? A homebrew programmer may decide to make a game for the ColecoVision and stay out of the spotlight so that he can work on his project at his own pace and avoid the pressure of having to give progress reports, but by not revealing his project, he can't declare dibs on his game and someone else may decide to work on the exact same project in parallel. :P

Yeah, I didn't mean to hijack anyone's project or anything like that. I'd like to work on a project like this but if someone else is already making one that's fine with me too, and I'd be happy to buy it when it came out. I may have seemed a little negative earlier but that's not the message I was trying to send. All in all I just wanted to breathe life into the death race port for the Colecovision because I would love to play it :) if I had an O2 I would buy that port as well. I may have to look into getting one if I can find one for cheap.

Holy cow - that post is over a year old already. Seems like yesterday. I'll have to start a new thread.

Never really understood the whole love affair with Death Race besides how cool the arcade cabinet looks. If a ColecoVision version were to ever be released, I would hope that the whole game concept would be greatly expanded upon much the same way that Parkfun is doing with his Light Cycles game. If it's just a staight port, I could see playing it once or twice and then putting it back in it's box and on the shelf never to be played again like too many other games.

Indeed. I could see lots of possible ways to upgrade the game into something great. But the more ingredients you add to the recipe, the longer it takes to finish the software. ;)

Death Race is an awesome game. It's also rare. They have a Death Race cabinet at Funspot and it's very popular.

Like others said, it can't be emulated so the next best thing is simulating it on a home console.

I would like to see a version that is true to the arcade: b/w graphics and the whole nine. If someone wants to add an enhanced version of the game put it on the same cart but give us the option to play the classic version.

I would also hope that the game supports both the driving controller and the standard controller.

I would like to see a version that is true to the arcade: b/w graphics and the whole nine. If someone wants to add an enhanced version of the game put it on the same cart but give us the option to play the classic version.

I would also hope that the game supports both the driving controller and the standard controller.

Watching the INTV version above, it looks like the programmer(s) already agree...there is a choice of Arcade accurate vs Updated versions, and the Arcade version looks exactly like the arcade. I'm sure they are going to do the same with the ColecoVision version. Too bad there are no steering wheels for the INTV.

Edited by Tarzilla

Right. Burn Rubber proved that two steering wheels can be used simultaneously, so there's no reason not to do it in Death Race. :)

Did Burn Rubber also support one player with a wheel and the other with a regular controller, in case they only owned one wheel? Or was it 2 controllers only vs 2 wheels only?

If the arcade case was the main attraction, why not to make a cardboard small arcade case where you could fit your Colecovision? :)

LOL! You'd need to fit the TV in there too. :) Might as well recondition an old arcade cocktail table with steering wheels on both ends!

(This is actually not a bad idea, when you think about it...)

• Like 1

Did Burn Rubber also support one player with a wheel and the other with a regular controller, in case they only owned one wheel? Or was it 2 controllers only vs 2 wheels only?

Gosh, that's a darn good question... I think player 2 with a standard controller works too. I can't test this easely, perhaps someone else could confirm it?