IGNORED

Bump N Jump

ACFinPGH

I looked at the back of the box the other day and it says there are 32 boards! I've never even made it close to that far, 6 (the second Spring board) is as far as I've gone.

What's the furthest you've made it in this game?

I think I may need to cheat and use an emulator with save states.

Edited by ACFinPGH

I think I made it to about road 15 bitd.

15 is quite impressive. The more I play, the more I realize the how difficult that game is with the limitations of Intellivision controllers...even with the FB controllers. The side buttons just aren't responsive enough.

When I get a chance I'm going to play the CV version with a genesis controller and see if that helps.

Memorizing the jumps is important. Best way to survive and score big is to avoid the other cars entirely. Learning the jumps allows you to land on the small islands for bonus points.

I agree, avoiding the other cars is key, not just because of the point bonus but also since trying to crash cars slows you down and draws you towards the edges of the screen increasing the chance you will crash yourself.

I played a bit of the CV version with an Atari joystick. It's definitely easier (made it to level 7 on first play) and has one huge advantage over INTV version - continues. I wonder why those weren't included in INTV? Someone hack the ROM and add continues...

Other than that though it's not as good. You just don't get the same sense of speed on CV version. And the other cars are way too easy to crash.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I remember getting to level 23 or 24 a long time ago, when I was a kid. You guys know about the jump-off-the-screen trick/cheat, right? (If not, here, have a look:

)

If you're just looking to blow through levels, it's exactly what you need.

Edited by CyberTaco
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Bump'N'Jump might have been the last game I bought as a kid, and I played it a lot. The furthest I could get was roadway 13 (without cheating) and roadway 25 (cheating). I avoided bumping cars for the big points and for survival. The intellivision controller works great for this game.

• Like 2

• 6 years later...
On 3/7/2015 at 9:19 PM, ACFinPGH said:

I looked at the back of the box the other day and it says there are 32 boards! I've never even made it close to that far, 6 (the second Spring board) is as far as I've gone.

What's the furthest you've made it in this game?

I think I may need to cheat and use an emulator with save states.

I think I made it to Level 8 in the normal course of play.

There are indeed 32 levels, and I found the level data in the ROM and reverse engineered it.  I also found the table that points to the beginning of each level, and the part of the game engine that fetches the appropriate level pointer from the table.

With what I figured out so far, I might be able to create a level editor.  First, I'll work on releasing another ROM hack.  I'm disabling the water hazard warning sign in all places except near the end of the level.  That will help people who use the "off-road" trick to know when to get back on the road.

8 hours ago, Zendocon said:

I think I made it to Level 8 in the normal course of play.

There are indeed 32 levels, and I found the level data in the ROM and reverse engineered it.  I also found the table that points to the beginning of each level, and the part of the game engine that fetches the appropriate level pointer from the table.

With what I figured out so far, I might be able to create a level editor.  First, I'll work on releasing another ROM hack.  I'm disabling the water hazard warning sign in all places except near the end of the level.  That will help people who use the "off-road" trick to know when to get back on the road.

For most jumps, you have to jump before the [!] appears.  Or wait to the very last possible moment to clear the distance.

So, this is not a really big feature after you have played for 100 hours or so!  ;)   LOL

I need to play this soon.  It is awesome on the Intellivision.  It is not very good on the CV or 2600.  I have played a little on other systems and Intellivision is the best.  If you are playing on an Intellivision II controller.. sorry!
I actually first played it on the Inty II as my original console was black screened.  So got the Inty II for $50.  Those controllers were not super bad.  They had some tactile feedback.

I have had a few newer versions and the controllers are actually worse.  Smooth keypad and stiffer side buttons if you can believe that is possible! 

At some point in the intervening 6 years (lol) since I posted this message, I put in a concerted effort and made it much farther than I ever had before. Can't remember exactly how far but it was at least half way through the game. Still one of my all time favorites on the Intellivision. The disc control is great, side buttons not so much. Can't remember if I tried on intvdave's version or not, I'll have to check and see soon...

Here is that hack I started working on yesterday, as I promised.  As with all my other hacks, it's just the .cfg file to accompany the actual ROM image in .bin format.  If you have the ROM image in .rom format, run jzIntv's rom2bin to make a copy in .bin format, and rename it "Bump & Jump (Hack).bin".

There are a couple other hacks in here, which I disabled.  All I wanted to do was replace the water hazard warnings with a single warning when you're about to reach the end of the level, so you know when to jump back onto the track.  Enjoy.

Bump & Jump (Hack).cfg

I gotta try again.. i think when I was a kid maybe i got to like 12-16..  seems like 4 years or around that felt right..  but even today i can remember how brutal some of those levels got..  i can only imagine how challenging 32 would be..  I too think this was one of the last games i remember buying for the intellivision and i got my $30 worth out of it!  

• Like 1

Bumpnjump has five different roadways that repeat in the same order.  Roadway eight has one particular long jump that you have to time perfectly just before hitting the water.  And if you miss it on the first try, it's practically impossible to get enough speed to make it with your remaining attempts.  If you make it then you're probably good for another five roadways.  Other than that I don't think the game gets any harder.

There are other long jumps on other roadways that you can make easily by landing on islands.  You just have to time your jumps approximately, doesn't have to be perfect.  But I wasn't able to do that with the one on roadway eight.  I think a lot of people get stuck on roadway eight, thirteen, etc.

2 hours ago, mr_me said:

Bumpnjump has five different roadways that repeat in the same order.  Roadway eight has one particular long jump that you have to time perfectly just before hitting the water.  And if you miss it on the first try, it's practically impossible to get enough speed to make it with your remaining attempts.  If you make it then you're probably good for another five roadways.  Other than that I don't think the game gets any harder.

There are definitely 32 unique levels in the ROM, although there are apparent repeating patterns that you observed.  The ROM hack I recently posted changes Bit 9 in many of the odd-numbered addresses, which triggers the water hazard warnings.