IGNORED

Most fun, yet horribly inaccurate arcade ports

davidbrit2

Krull is not based on the arcade game of the same title.

Do you have a source on that? They're very different, sure, but there are similarities too -- e.g. the fact that the game starts out with a vertical onrush of enemies/obstacles -- enough to make me think the Atari 2600 was intended as a kind of partial "adaptation" of the arcade gameplay.

But if there's evidence to the contrary, I'm all ears. I don't know what the respective release dates are, for instance.

Do you have a source on that? They're very different, sure, but there are similarities too -- e.g. the fact that the game starts out with a vertical onrush of enemies/obstacles -- enough to make me think the Atari 2600 was intended as a kind of partial "adaptation" of the arcade gameplay.

But if there's evidence to the contrary, I'm all ears. I don't know what the respective release dates are, for instance.

Nope, not related at all. There's an interview with the programmer where he describes seeing some of the movie being filmed and being given the script to make the game from. The arcade game wasn't an inspiration for the 2600 version.

Nope, not related at all. There's an interview with the programmer where he describes seeing some of the movie being filmed and being given the script to make the game from. The arcade game wasn't an inspiration for the 2600 version.

Perfect, that's the kind of information I was looking for. :) Thanks for that.

Journey doesn't resemble the arcade port by any means. If anything it more resembles a race game going up hill crashing through fences and animals. Worse than pacman on any given day

Much like Krull, the two games weren't based on each other. So it's not an inaccurate port, just another game based on the same band.

Really? I never knew that. I wonder why.

Shoddy attempt for a screensaver. The long timer $8A increments every 64th bump of the frame counter $8B. When the long timer rolls over, it kills the game by forcing value $02 into ram address $F6 (which is used to hold VBLANK) and jumps out of the kernel. You can patch the code at $F11A in the second bank by changing the LDA #$02 instruction to be a branch instead (change A9 02 to be F0 05) to disable the screensaver.

Not quite as bad as the Berzerk glitch, but still annoying. Just don't let it remain waiting much longer than 4 minutes' time between levels or lives.

Defender is an improvement over the arcade, because of it's flaws.

1. The terrible graphics mean I'm defending the last survivors of humanity in an actual city at night, not on the random vector mountains of a lifeless alien planet.

2. The terrible graphics also gave us the most awesome laser in any Atari game, bar none. It fills the sky with color. It's so awesome that the Atari 2600 has to erase your ship in order to actually draw it, which means that maybe you are the laser. For the brief moment when you're firing it, you can't actually die. This introduces a risk/reward dynamic that only encourages players to take more chances...

3. Because we're working with one button, you are now safe while you plan how to make the most effective use of your bombs and warps - but the entire time, humanoids continue to be abducted. How often do you see a shmup with this layer of strategy attached, even now?

I wish someone would port this game, and not the real Defender, to a more powerful system. I would pay for just the rom.

Edited by NinjaFlicker
  • Like 2