IGNORED

Alpine Games final run

Duranik

Duranik,

since this was supposedly the final run of Alpine Games, is there any chance that there will be a release of the ROM in the foreseeable future ?

It would be present a nice opportunity for people to play the game that haven't had the chance to order it in time or are not willing to pay overprice 2nd hand prices.

Most will just play it in an emulator (or FLASH cart for the lucky people who own one).

Maybe a slightly adapted version (title screen etc) just to be able to distinguish between the cart version and the "ROM Release" version would be a great idea to prevent any pirated copies.

As for the new game, I think the Lynx already has a few good racers and platform games. I would prefer a game that is "missing" from the Lynx library.

That's why i would prefer Flashback if i would have to chose from the list but i think there would even be better ideas.

• Like 1

Duranik,

since this was supposedly the final run of Alpine Games, is there any chance that there will be a release of the ROM in the foreseeable future ?

It would be present a nice opportunity for people to play the game that haven't had the chance to order it in time or are not willing to pay overprice 2nd hand prices.

Most will just play it in an emulator (or FLASH cart for the lucky people who own one).

Maybe a slightly adapted version (title screen etc) just to be able to distinguish between the cart version and the "ROM Release" version would be a great idea to prevent any pirated copies.

As for the new game, I think the Lynx already has a few good racers and platform games. I would prefer a game that is "missing" from the Lynx library.

That's why i would prefer Flashback if i would have to chose from the list but i think there would even be better ideas.

The games doesn't run well on an emulator (flickering issues, sound etc) thats why we don't like to put a rom download for now.

Patching it to work better is certainly possible but we rather would spend the time on some new stuff now.

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind words thats very nice !

You're more than welcome. Credit must be given where credit is due :)

Actually we got a lot of motivation to probably do one more Lynx game

whats the game you guys would like to see the most

- a "Lotus" style game

- something "Giana Sisters"

- a "Flashback" thing

- some easy to pick up "Dragons Lair" type

This is just for a little brain storming, no promises if we ever find the

time to do the actual thing. Now all i want to hear is LOTUS.

That is so great to hear (particularly the positive motivation)! While anything i'm sure will be great and a most welcome addition to our Lynx libraries, out of that list i would have to pick "a Lotus style game"! I loved these on the ST and Amiga (especially linking-up two machines to play 4P split screen :cool: ). If a Lotus type game is selected, i would strongly urge a ComLynx mode - the more the merrier (i hear the Lynx is capable of 16-P ComLynxed ;) )!

Speaking of 16-Players link-up... what i would REALLY love to see on the Lynx though, is a version of MIDI Maze (aka: Faceball 2000 on consoles)! For those unfamiliar by MIDI Maze, it's a 16-P FPS game where you are a smiley face/ball where you move around different mazes shooting other smileys. The original was released by Hybrid Arts on the Atari ST and you would link 16 ST's via the MIDI ports (hence the title: MIDI Maze).

What i would recommend even more than this is MIDI Maze II <-- this was a Shareware release i got from an Atari ST User cover disc back in '92. It's SO MUCH BETTER then the original and i think it would be a lot easier to make something like this as it was ONLY multiplayer, ie. 2 or more ST's linked. This did away with the AI of Single Player and focused on the best damned multiplayer gaming you could ever hope for back in the day (we linked 4 ST's in my bedroom one time :-D ). The WIN score was determined by points you earned (1 for a Hit and 3 for a Kill). However, the money was also the score, ie: you had to choose weather you wanted to go for the win straight away without upgrades (risky) or spend money/score on power-ups (See others on map, Hide self from map, Reflective shots, etc). Has anyone actually played this game/sequel? :) The only problem with a multiplayer-only Lynx game is that you would have to either have two or more Lynxes or have mates with a Lynx or two. (i'm good for at least 12 :grin: ). Something like this though would be FANTASTIC for get-together's, events, and hopefully, encourage more people to start up new Lynx Parties ;-)

So, anyone up for a game of ComLynx Maze? :-D

• Like 2

We mainly played MM2 because you can set up some very funny matches. For example sing shot killing with a very very long reload time.

http://midimaze.atari.org

http://midimaze.de

At least for MM2, the original source code is not available anymore. Thus the game logic has to be written from scratch.

As for all full three dee games its tough to get it fast on the lynx. But I guess it will look much better than on the game boy ;-)

I know I've already "voted" on this but is there anyone out there who'd like to see a "Bards Tale" style game on the Lynx?

I know "Zelda" has been discussed but Bards is different to that. Plus it would be pretty easy graphically I'd have thought as Bards wasn't that complex graphically to start with.

The excitement was in the gameplay.

Or else (a fervent wish) does anyone have the source for Daemonsgate by any chance? Could it be finished off?

• Like 1

The problem with Bards Tale, Simon the Sourcerer etc is good audio. The Lynx does not have hw for good speech, songs with words.

It is also hard to create amazing detailed graphics. So Dragons Lair is also more or less out.

It is also hard to create amazing detailed graphics. So Dragons Lair is also more or less out.

I guess Dragon´s Lair is out because of memory constraints of the cartridge and not so much because of the graphics resolution. If it can run on a Sinclair ZX 81 in a small window there should be a chance that it would work also on the Lynx. :grin:

• Like 1

I guess Dragon´s Lair is out because of memory constraints of the cartridge and not so much because of the graphics resolution. If it can run on a Sinclair ZX 81 in a small window there should be a chance that it would work also on the Lynx. :grin:

Would certainly be more in line with the look of the Amiga/ST Version

We would like to use a bigger cart for this project (2MB or more) so this should be doable but it doesn't look to be as popular as i expected so its off the list.

Edited by Duranik

The problem with Bards Tale, Simon the Sourcerer etc is good audio. The Lynx does not have hw for good speech, songs with words.

I only ever played Bards 1 on ST which didn't have any sampled sound (that I heard anyway). All the Bard's songs were chip tunes not sampled. Things might have been different on other platforms of course. It also came out on the ZX Spectrum so it's a game with scope to be shrunk down to at least 48K with limited sound and graphics.

However, as proved by Klax and Roadblasters, the Lynx can do sampled sound very effectively so it could be limited to supporting sounds such as the clang of weapons in battle and the rest of the audio handled by chip tune.

One of the problems is that the screen is information rich: it has window sections to display the graphics, character stats and real time text display for fights/area description.

I guess that's not easily reproducible on the Lynx given the small screen resolution but it could be worked around with use of Opt1/Opt2 to change screens etc?

One other potentially HUGE problem with all RPG style games though... Save Game.

How would that be handled? Do the flash carts being created at the moment have a means to save data?

Was there even a released commercial Lynx cart that could retain save data?

As for Dragons Lair, I agree, controls were the killer and wrecked the "game" such as it was. Personally, I'm glad it didn't make the list.

I have played Bards Tale on my Android tablet and also Simon the Sourcerer. They are complete remakes for Android. Especially Simon the Sourcerer is highly recommended. The Android version is much better than the Amiga CD version.

The Save Game on the Lynx is handled with small EEPROMs. MegaPak has a small text adventure that can save the position of all items in the game and also your current position. It took some 40 bytes to make the save.

The EOTB used a 16k SRAM for saves. And the new EOTB uses an 8k chip for saves.

On the programmers forum we have just discussed the possibility to use 64k EEPROMs. The added price is just 2€ for a chip like this.

• Like 1

...the new EOTB uses an 8k chip for saves....

<wipes drool from mouth> New EOTB you say? Where from, how much?

The info on the save games is very interesting, thank you.

As for a Lynx version of "Bards Tale", it's a dream really. Any RPG style game would do for me. I already have Bards on ST (real and emulator), PC (Steam), Android phone and Sony Android TV and have helped "kickstart" Bards 4. So if I need a Bards tale fix I can always try one of those inferior platforms ;)

I guess we must also think about the desires and capability of the person or people doing the actual programming work. If their heart is not in making an RPG then it would be better to have something else that they enjoy making. Duranik has already said he is not into JRPG style games so I guess that also cuts Daemonsgate out of the equation :(

Edited by aminor00

As for a Lynx version of "Bards Tale", it's a dream really. Any RPG style game would do for me. I already have Bards on ST (real and emulator), PC (Steam), Android phone and Sony Android TV and have helped "kickstart" Bards 4. So if I need a Bards tale fix I can always try one of those inferior platforms ;)

I'd love to see a good old RPG on the Lynx! I bought an Amiga 500 (years ago) just to play all the AD&D SSI RPG's that were not released on the ST. As for Bard's Tale, always wanted to play it ever since seeing the ads in old computer magazines. I have a CIB Bard's Tale II: Destiny Knight on the Amiga (Aussie plastic cover version) but haven't played yet. Want to go through all three in order (on real/original hardware) before Bard's Tale 4 comes out (its on Kickstarter RIGHT NOW: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/the-bards-tale-iv?ref=nav_search )

But, like you, any RPG on the Lynx would go down really well with me :)

They said they don't like RPGs much, so they are out of the question anyway.

Neither of those games require speech or songs with words. Even on computers most old adventures were available without speech, sometimes an extra talkie version was also out.

As for detailed graphics: They are generally very possible, neither the colors nor the resolution are a problem. The only problem would be memory constraints. That is the only limit I regularely encounter when doing Lynx graphics. Having to scale them back because while colors and detail are all good for the specs, the memory to actually add animation and music is too small. However, given Duranik's great skills when it comes to pushing hardware I think if anyone could optimize to get the best out of the system, it is them.

Edited by 108 Stars

I did some investigation for my own amusement and found that in Bards 1 the top left windows that shows the movement in town and the monsters etc is only 112x101 pixels. Of course the ST usually only did 16 of 512 colours so I think this would be very possible on the Lynx.

Of course, this will never come into existence if Duranik doesn't like RPGs.

I am now looking forward to a great "Super Mario World" style game :-)

Package received! Thanks Duranik!

Concerning a future lynx game, my input is:
1. Vertical Shooter ("vertizontal") if possible for two player (via com lynx) simultaneously
2. OutRun
3. Platform but not as Giana Sisters (more like Castlevania Rondo of Blood if possible! ;)
Good news to see you involve again in development for Atari Lynx! Good luck!

OK, I've just had an epiphany about the next game for Duranik.

One word: Sopwith

• Plane game.
  • Shoot other planes
  • Multiplayer.
  • Shoot tanks
  • Simple.
  • Bomb things.
  • Did I mention Multiplayer?
  • Dodge birds!
  • Fantastic fun.
  • Shoot your friend down
  • Shoot multiple friends down!
  • Addictive.
  • with Multiplayer (don't forget that)
  • 2D sidescroller with a TOTALLY different feel to Warbirds.

If you don't remember it (and I don't blame you it did come out in 1984!) have a look here, download, play, enjoy: http://www.sopwith.org/

For those of you who are a little younger than me and had an Amiga, Sopwith is the precursor to Wings Of Fury. Have I got your attention now?

Two of possibly the most awesome games EVER! And can you imagine the multiplayer? Could we get a game with more than 8 players on ComLynx?

AND, the BEST thing is. There's already and Atari link. From sopwith.org:

BMB Compuscience Canada Ltd. was a Canadian software company noted for creating accounting software, as well as database, networking, and geographical information software. Sopwith 1 and 2 were the only games they ever released.

In 1986 BMB created a relational database system for the Atari ST called The Manager described by its creators as a "paperless office" which offered mainframe capability with virtually unlimited storage.
In that same year, BMB Compuscience announced a network called Imaginet that connected IBM PCs with Atari 520-STs. At the time, the network cost $900 for the first IBM PC, which functioned as the file server, $800 for each additional PC, and $500 for each ST. Transmission rate were 2 megabits per second.
It is this Imaginet service that Sopwith's multiplayer feature was supposed to work on. It leads one to wonder if Sopwith was ever released on the Atari 520-ST?

Well no, I don't think Sopwith ever came out on the ST.

But think how awesomely Retro-Modern this would be to release Sopwith multiplayer (ahem) on the Atari Lynx after all these years!

Edited by aminor00

• 2 weeks later...

Two interesting tidbits:

• CyberVirus originally had a digital audio player included. There was only one phrase: "Now that's playing with v-v-video power!" I disabled the player since it didn't have relevant audio for the game, but never really looked into the details on how it worked or how much space it required. I think it came from an Atari demo. I thought the audio quality was pretty good.
  • Dragon's Lair was actually in development for the Lynx at one point, but was shelved. This info came from a former professional developer. Obviously it would have been a much lower quality version since it was not attempting any sort of high-color mode. I don't have any screens or ROM, sorry. :)