IGNORED

intellivision printer

Stevil

I recently scored a printer that was made for the Intellivision system... I want to sell it, but cant find a reference point of its value. The only thing comparable I can find is the one from "Papa Intellivision's" collection...Any informed opinions would be appreciated.... I know I'm gonna hear "pics or STFU" so I'll get some up sometime in the next day or two.

not an Aquarius.... I took a few pics, but I'm not sure ho to post them (I'm a dumbass)... if anyone can walk me through it?

But yeah this is really a "mattel electronics printer 40 " and I have the "Intellivision Basic Programming Bulletin" that came with it..... no box, but the condition is like 9.8/10...

I did some work for a guy that used to work for mattel.... found out later he was a programmer/developer for the intellivision..he had me haul away a few truckloads of stuff, mostly garbage, but a few treasures.... lots of Aquarius stuff.... Very nice guy too...

• Like 1

Wow, I never knew that existed! Great find. I'm guessing you hauled the stuff away long ago and it's long gone, but I suspect that much of the "junk" from an Intellivision programmer could be of value to this community. Not just credit card numbers either :) I mean all kinds of stuff :)

Seriously, though. Prototypes, parts, fliers, catalogs, scribbles on napkins of game ideas...all very cool pieces of nostalgia. Don't throw anything away ;-)

yeah i don't want to say his name or anything specific about the work I did,. That's pretty much policy when I work for an individual.... Very nice guy though...one of the "Blue Sky Rangers" -- seen on this page

http://www.intellivisionlives.com/media/stories/vegas.shtml

I also got a bunch of Aquarius stuff... nothing really rare or unusual - I will start a new thread in the auction section...

but about the printer- I can't find any for sale to base a fair valuation... Anyone have an opinion?

I did some work for a guy that used to work for mattel.... found out later he was a programmer/developer for the intellivision..he had me haul away a few truckloads of stuff, mostly garbage, but a few treasures.... lots of Aquarius stuff.... Very nice guy too...

Keep in mind, that ANYTHING intellivision related (if only pamphlets, sales or notes/ information) from this person could be worth something. It may look like junk to you, but don't be too quick to toss anything that says mattel or intellivision!

Great find! And you'll have a very hard time finding a base value for this as they do not show up often. I've seen maybe one or two others? One may have hit ebay in 2013?

yeah i don't want to say his name or anything specific about the work I did,. That's pretty much policy when I work for an individual.... Very nice guy though...one of the "Blue Sky Rangers" -- seen on this page

http://www.intellivisionlives.com/media/stories/vegas.shtml

I also got a bunch of Aquarius stuff... nothing really rare or unusual - I will start a new thread in the auction section...

but about the printer- I can't find any for sale to base a fair valuation... Anyone have an opinion?

It's tough to price considering the rarity, but the best analogs may be comparably rare items (Keyboard Component, PlayCable, Videoplexer). It's way less cool than the Keyboard Component, but potentially rarer than the Videoplexer. Personally, I think the PlayCable is cooler for what it represents, but it's now just a collectible paperweight. The printer is at least functional, however I believe other cheaper printer brands are compatible.

I suspect most of the offers you will receive will be fair. I've personally met two of the members that have already shown interest in this thread and, while I'd never let either date my sister, I'm confident they'll make fair and competitive bids :) Just my two cents.

It's tough to price considering the rarity, but the best analogs may be comparably rare items (Keyboard Component, PlayCable, Videoplexer). It's way less cool than the Keyboard Component, but potentially rarer than the Videoplexer. Personally, I think the PlayCable is cooler for what it represents, but it's now just a collectible paperweight. The printer is at least functional, however I believe other cheaper printer brands are compatible.

I suspect most of the offers you will receive will be fair. I've personally met two of the members that have already shown interest in this thread and, while I'd never let either date my sister, I'm confident they'll make fair and competitive bids :) Just my two cents.

Ummm....this is awkward....actually Jason, your sister and I have been meaning to talk to you about something....

• Like 1

Hmm... A few things to note, and maybe I'm completely off-base here, but I thought to mention them:

• Create account on same day for the sole purpose of offering an extremely rare item that nobody has ever seen in the wild before. - CHECK
  • Mention the specific details that make the item valuable, but claim to not know value. - CHECK
  • Even though just joined a collector's forum for it, claim to not know value, and ask is it worth anything to anybody? - CHECK
  • Offer heartwarming and plausible story that gives depth to item. - CHECK
  • Provide general information on provenance that may proof authenticity, but cannot show or say details due to NDA/life threats/professional courtesy. CHECK
  • Offer low-quality, blurry pictures and claim that it's due to broken camera/old phone/broken flash/dial up connection. - CHECK

Just sayin'... :ponder:

I'd love to be wrong.

• Like 2

Hmm... A few things to note, and maybe I'm completely off-base here, but I thought to mention them:

• Create account on same day for the sole purpose of offering an extremely rare item that nobody has ever seen in the wild before. - CHECK
  • Mention the specific details that make the item valuable, but claim to not know value. - CHECK
  • Even though just joined a collector's forum for it, claim to not know value, and ask is it worth anything to anybody? - CHECK
  • Provide general information on provenance that may proof authenticity, but cannot show or say details due to NDA/life threats/professional courtesy. CHECK
  • Offer low-quality, blurry pictures and claim that it's due to broken camera/old phone/broken flash/dial up connection. - CHECK

I'd love to be wrong.

Stevil ... don't take it personally ... we're generally wary of newbies with rare items as there have been scams run here before. Some of us let our passions control reasonable thought at times.

A couple of items in his defense ... NO ONE knows the value of this item. I'm fairly well versed on the values of Intellivision items, but this one is a guess. I wouldn't expect him to know its value if hardcore collectors don't know the value. The picture is blurry but clear enough to seem like the real deal ... if it were a stock photo taken from the web, we'd know it. This looks legit, even to the point of a date stamp on the picture.

He wouldn't be the first person to come here researching the value of Intellivision items (guilty as charged) and it's smart to be wary of any potential sale from someone new. But at least he's been upfront and posted original pics which is steps beyond many others have done in the past.

Stevil, in response to your PM.

As you sound like a very reasonable person, I'm sure you can understand how and why I can mistrust the posting of strangers in an Internet forum--especially when dealing with what could be a high valued transaction.

I didn't mean any offense towards you, it was just a general invitation to others to ground the discussion on known facts rather than on passions and appearances.

Like I suggested, your comment follows a rather common pattern, so if it is legitimate--and it very well may be--it should come with additional information or action to prove its integrity. This, as well, should be understandable.

As per your message, you seem to have followed through on that, so I commend you, and I hope to stand corrected on my misapprehension.

Cheers.

dZ.

I'd love to be wrong.

Wait, people think this iguy s actually legit? I thought we were all just playing along with this troll.

Guess not!

it would be nice to trust people right of the bat. but in this world full of greed/lies.. Trust must be gained or earned..... but in saying that.. one must be giving a chance to earn that trust.. wow... not quite sure what im saying but hope it gets to some sort of point.. lol

I'd love to be wrong.

(Note: this is not directed towards DZ, he just articulated better)

Maybe I'm just naive, but let's say someone who's not a rabid retro game collector (ie: 99.999% of the population) finds something like this. How ELSE would you expect them to go about it? When I Google phrases like "Intellivision collecting" and "Intellivision rarity", AA comes up on the first page every time. And anyone who spends more than 5 seconds at the other sites given would realize that this place has by far the most active forums. I don't know about you guys, but I live in a city of over a million people and there's not a single retail store that deals in anything pre-NES, other than pawn shops. This is PRECISELY what I'd do with any collectible item that I stumbled upon but knew nothing about the scene: join an active forum about it and ask for advice.

Or is the going theory that the only people who stumble upon this stuff are hardcore collectors?

I think I'm out-cynicising you guys' cynicism :P