IGNORED

Power adapter?

I want to sell my jr and a bunch of games. Keep a few but sell most of it. My universal ac adapter works great with both my jr and 6 switch sears telegames. But I don't have a spare or a official ac adapter and can't find one. I need one as I think I will give my universal with the ebay just to prove it works.

The adapter part is fine as plenty are available. But the tip is hard to find anymore.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Six-Adapter-three-prong-connection-charger-tips-from-Dynex-DX-DC300mA-/271773905830?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f46fcb3a6

Will this work? Atari 2600 is 3.5mm isn't it? I remember seeing 2 different sizes long time ago when I had my universal. Not sure where I out them.

Edited by 0078265317

I've always known them as 1/8 inch. That picture looks right.

All you need to do is buy any 9 volt DC, 500 mA adapter and put an 1/8 inch mono plug on it (with the positive lead connected to the tip).

If you have a volt meter to determine power supply polarity and a soldering iron to attach the new end, you can switch out the connector.

Your local Radio Shack probably isn't going to have any in stock these days, but here's an example of the part you could use: http://www.radioshack.com/1-8-mono-phone-plug-2-pack/2740286.html#.VP4Lr_nF8Ro

Edited by BigO

I'll link to a post where I list a universal adapter and tip you can buy from RadioShack's site or from a store if they have them in stock. You can also order an official Atari power supply from Best Electronics for $10.95 plus shipping.

RadioShack: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/235787-atari-2600-jr-power-adapter/

Best Electronics: http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/power%20guide.htm

How to test the now-installed 1/8" phono plug tip?

Don't plug into the console yet. The unloaded voltage will be higher than 9 volts, but should be less than 30. Set your voltmeter accordingly.

Plug the power adapter into the wall. Measure the voltage on the 1/8" output plug with the positive probe on the tip of the 1/8" plug and the negative probe on the other part of the 1/8" plug.

If you get a negative voltage, reinstall the plug/tip thingy the other way around.

When you get a positive voltage, you're ready to plug it into the console and play.

I meant test the adapter not the console. But oddly enough I test the universal rca I have and when I set it to 6 volts I get 8.5 volts, 7.5 volts is 10 volts, 9 volts is 12 volts, and 12 votls is 16 volts. So it higher than it should be. So my sears and jr should of fried with 12 volts right. Or is that because both have voltage regulators in them. Or all universal ac adapters measure a tad higher. I saw a review on a different one he had same issue. It measuring 3 higher or so on each setting.

When I needed another adapter, I just picked up 9 volt DC adapter at the local surplus store for a few dollars and changed the plug since I keep a assortment of common plugs around for power and audio cords. So if you can't find what you want, see if you know anybody that can change the plug on a adapter for you.