IGNORED

Learning assembly - porting Thrust to the TI-99/4a

palmheads

Of course ideally, you could implement full gravity using the formula v=-0.5gt and play with values of g to achieve a pleasing result. That way, the drop would start slowly and gradually build up.

That's dead easy to code. Assuming you have a variable for vertical speed and moving up is positive speed, you simply subtract a certain value each frame.

That's gravity! :)

• Like 1

Yeah that gravity calc looks achievable now, especially as I have that code where the ship is forced down implemented in a subroutine. Got stumped just on that problem for ages, but worked my way through it.

My wall collisions aren't perfect against angled walls, but I think I can solve that.

Feels like progress being made again! Thanks for all the positive feedback!

• 4 months later...

I second this -- "busy" is a good excuse, but "lazy" is not. ;-)

Not really. The hobby is not an assignment but an escape. If one feels forced to work on a hobby project when feeling "lazy", then there is no fun to be had... Go ahead: feel as lazy as you want. It probably means that you need some rest :)

• Like 6

Ha! Thanks guys! Been a glorious summer here in Christchurch, NZ. Been enjoying not sitting in front of the 'puter (except at work)...got some potentially horrible melanomas from our vicious sun, but hey...

...sorry to go all GoT...winter IS coming...

So suspect will get back into my wee project cobbled together with luck, flukes, Computes great assembly language book, ralphb's xdt tools and the help and encouragement of you lot on this great forum!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

WOO! Progress! Have got some gravity working. Might be hard to see, but the ship actually speeds up as it heads downwards.

Unfortunately adding 1 line of code to initialise a count (outside main game loop) that I increment (within game loop) somehow has meant I cannot now rotate my ship right! WTF. Will work on that!

Anyway, progress - finally

cheers

Daryn

Edited by palmheads
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Just a wee update on this. Got stuck (and associated mental block) about how to handle my ship shooting "something". Figure the bullet needs to be a sprite and then trigger collision detection and proximity etc. Just didn't know how to approach it.

Then I realised TI-Invaders has source code, so am going to use that for some hints.

As I'm piecing things together, I have to rely on some solid example code.

This is still on my bucket list!

Edited by palmheads
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hi guys

Done nothing in a while I'm afraid. Although am about to be made redundant thanks to these Texas Capitalist **** buying the company I work for in NZ...forbes article about them...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nathanvardi/2018/11/19/how-a-mysterious-tech-billionaire-created-two-fortunesand-a-global-software-sweatshop/#7439ab76cffe

I may have alot of downtime & therefore more time for hobbies over next few months.

cheers

Dazza

Hi guys

Done nothing in a while I'm afraid. Although am about to be made redundant thanks to these Texas Capitalist **** buying the company I work for in NZ...forbes article about them...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nathanvardi/2018/11/19/how-a-mysterious-tech-billionaire-created-two-fortunesand-a-global-software-sweatshop/#7439ab76cffe

I may have alot of downtime & therefore more time for hobbies over next few months.

cheers

Dazza

"Tryba argues that the current cloud wage for a C++ programmer, for example, is $15 an hour.

That’s what Amazon pays its warehouse workers."

Wow! Standby for a major standard of living reduction in the developed world. :(

• Like 1

What they haven't reckoned on is this: Given the choice between coding for $15 an hour or stacking shelves, I'll stack the shelves thank you very much. I can turn up, do my shift, and go home again without dealing with all the other crap that goes with software engineering such as design documentation, myriad meetings, other people's defective code and requirements capture, and a whole host of other stressful issues!

• Like 4

Not to mention the spyware they require to be loaded on your computer to allow them continuous monitoring of your activities, the total lack of employee benefits (in the US, that also means that the entire contribution to Social Security and Medicare come out of that $15, double what an employee would usually pay as the company is required to pay half of those costs for employees), and the mandatory unpaid time to meet unrealistic deadlines. The stacker/packer job for the same wage is looking better by the minute. . .and not to forget, that coder gets zero sick leave and vacation time as an independent contractor too. No thanks.

• Like 4

[...Although am about to be made redundant thanks to these Texas Capitalist **** buying the company I work for in NZ...forbes article about them...

I may have alot of downtime & therefore more time for hobbies over next few months...]

I am living almost the same situation in Italy. lost my job in 2016 :( still struggling to find another one-

TI99 helping me to not think too much.

• Like 1

I am living almost the same situation in Italy. lost my job in 2016 :( still struggling to find another one-

TI99 helping me to not think too much.

Hobbies are a great distraction! Good luck, hopefully you can find a role that makes you happy & gives you enough moola!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here here, willsy! I was the only tech at Raytheon for 3 years and meetings, emails to respond to, the local pressure to produce results in three areas at once, take care of outages from storms etc.. AND then I have to do MY work and documentation, enter my workload status', enter my clock in out times tickets...

It just all came crashing Down and I said goodbye!!! It ain't worth it!!