IGNORED

Games - Ghosts 'n Goblins

budz2355

YouTube does not work in my browser and I am not about to spend time trying to fix it just to see what you are throwing at me. From the thumbnails, however, I can see your attempt is to demonstrate a lot of modern techniques which were not used in the same era that Ghosts 'n' Goblins was made. A lot can be said for a few platforms: the TI VDP was known to be limited to specific modes and speeds and lack of hardware scrolling for smooth scrolling; the Commodore 64 was known to not be able to push 2400 bps, etc.

I apologize for not mentioning that TED has a shared memory model and resolution modes similar to that of the VIC-II.

Given the knowledge of the time and the development of skills for manipulating the TED at the time, I stand by my statement: with the limitations of TED, Ghosts 'n' Goblins was a doomed endeavor. I did not say "you can't do anything with it." Your counter is valid, as well, just a little more in-your-face about it.

FWIW, the last video was from a game developed back in the day and the game used full screen scrolling along the X and Y axis.

It keeps the player's character centered on the screen and moves the background.

The point was that the C16 version didn't have to suck.

• Like 1

These are not final. I have some sustain-release to scrutinize, tempo, some octave placements, but I feel they are good enough to share in their current form. These are created with, and you will need, Ramsus' SoundListRipper: import them, then play them.

Ghosts n Goblins - Game Music.bin

Ghosts n Goblins - Start Stage.bin

Ghosts n Goblins - Start Stage(slower).bin

This is the first bit of work I did to get started. I divided the song into four sections and created a P3 noise-based bass line, then combined the four sections. In the songs above you may notice that I do not give regular tones attenuation less than two. This is so the periodic noise of the bass line is not obscured too much as it plays a dominant role in the original arcade music.

GnG - Game Music - Bass-line (all segments).bin

• Like 6