IGNORED

Your experience with eBay's Global Shipping Program?

Christophero Sly

I buy A LOT from eBay and have never had a single problem with the GSP. I've also only had 1 package, out of dozens, repacked by the program.

An interesting thing I've noticed is that for items in the ~$30 range, there's actually a cost benefit to the program. The price for shipping and the import charges are just a couple dollars more than stand alone First Class USPS shipping would cost, with the benefit of being upgraded to priority shipping. For this price benefit to be seen, the seller cannot inflate their shipping cost with an additional handling fee.

For more expensive items, I avoid the program, simply because the added cost becomes fairly ridiculous. I've actually had very good success in having sellers update their auctions to remove the GSP for items I wanted to buy.

I've actually had very good success in having sellers update their auctions to remove the GSP for items I wanted to buy.

When I have asked the sellers to not use it, they have told me in each instance that they'd have to end the auction and re-list it to do that. The other seller said if I won the auction, they would invoice me without the GSP but in the end when I did win, they said they couldnt do that and offered to let me back out of the sale. Is that consistent with your experience?

I

When I have asked the sellers to not use it, they have told me in each instance that they'd have to end the auction and re-list it to do that. The other seller said if I won the auction, they would invoice me without the GSP but in the end when I did win, they said they couldnt do that and offered to let me back out of the sale. Is that consistent with your experience?

They can most definitely change the auction without ending it. I actually just bought 2 Sega Genesis games today and had the seller remove GSP from both auctions. He made the change in a couple minutes.

I won something with GSP and the seller was able to send me an invoice with regular shipping on it, and not ship it through the program after all. So it is possible, unless eBay have changed something in the last 12 months.

I

#1 if it's an auction listing and it has bid already, seller can't revise to change shipping option even to remove GSP. If it has no bid or if it's a BIN, it can be revised to remove GSP. Sounds like a bunch of inexperienced sellers.

If the listing ends and it was set to allow GSP but not offer other international shipping option, the buyer is stuck with GSP. If the seller did offer additional international shipping option, it is possible for seller and buyer to bypass GSP.

I just won't use GSP in my listing and I will revise or cancel listing if GSP is somehow stealth-enabled.

I won something with GSP and the seller was able to send me an invoice with regular shipping on it, and not ship it through the program after all. So it is possible, unless eBay have changed something in the last 12 months.

VF6z8mk.png

If the seller has GSP selected in the listing above, and choose no alternative option, it can't be changed after the auction ends and the buyer is stuck with GSP. But if the seller has selected the other 2 shipping options, buyer can use that instead of GSP.

Again, I avoid allowing GSP in my listing. Too many horror stories of ruined valuable items and upset buyers. It is much safer to ship directly to buyer than to let those idiots working at McMinimum wage repack priceless item into tiny packages, losing important paper and boxes along the way and not protecting the original item as well as I can. Plus when I sell direct to buyers, buyer has a better chance of avoiding taxes while shipping through GSP it is impossible to avoid taxes.

I was part of a scam from some guy in Germany. In fact, the guy bought 2 items from me, 2 weeks apart, and claimed he got neither one. When contacting other sellers, I found he was lying to them too. It took a while, but Ebay eventually believed me and them and I got my money back. I stopped shipping internationally then. This was about 3 years ago if I remember correctly. Then the GSP came along. The only country I ship to directly is Canada because I could track 1st class. I've sold a few items through the GSP program and having to send the package to Kentucky works for me. I've never gotten a complaint.

I guess things may be repackaged for one of two reasons. The packaging was damaged on the way to the hub, or the packer sucked at packing and Ebay needed to repack it. This of course is speculation, but if something is well packed, I can't see them wanting to waste time to repack things.

Phil

I guess things may be repackaged for one of two reasons. The packaging was damaged on the way to the hub, or the packer sucked at packing and Ebay needed to repack it. This of course is speculation, but if something is well packed, I can't see them wanting to waste time to repack things.

If you checked eBay forum, there are complaints about well packed goods getting repacked into smaller packages to cut on shipping cost. Also it seems they need to verify what's in the box matches eBay listing (ie eBay seller listed a book, the box better have a book and not a rock), and lastly, to check for detail such as country of manufacture for custom purpose.

If the folks at GSP facility can save a few dollars by getting rid of excess padding, it works for them. Unfortunately the folks are only paid McMinimum wage to process and handle quickly. I've seen story about one valuable vintage doll getting packed well by the original seller, and the buyer got it in a different, smaller box with no padding and it broke. Another seller complained about sending a $250 CIB rare game and the buyer got the cart only, box and manual nowhere to be found. If they could, they would probably smash a 1,000 year old ming vase because the shards fit smaller box and costs less to ship.

• Like 1

But how do you know it was the GSP folks repackaging and not the seller just doing a shit job? We were receiving plenty of poorly packaged goods before the GSP existed.

Note that I'm talking about post #32 specifically. I'm not denying that they can and have repackaged shipments.

How do you know that was re-packaged? Is there a label indicating that it was? It's hard to read in the video.

Totally a valid question. Firstly I received an email from Pitney Bowes letting me know my package from Japan had cleared customs. Thanks fellahs.

Then when my bag arrived from Japan, there was absolutely zero Japanese written on it anywhere. The only indication it came from the land of the rising sun was a plastic envelope sleeve with Japan inked on it.

I have received other items from there and they have always been stamped with plenty of Japanese on the outside.

Again I shouldn't complain too much. At least my controller arrived intact. But I'd be ticked off if I bought that antique doll 7800fan mentioned above.

I just received a package via the GSP. I refuse to bid on many auctions with GSP, but this was for an uncommon game at a very good price. My winning bid was $20 US, but I almost didn't put in the bid because GSP wanted $18 US to ship this cart. Typically a box of this size costs about $12 US to ship to me, so some is making some extra profit along the way.

The item (a CIB game cart) was wrapped in a sheet of bubblewrap, inside a small corrugated cardboard box. The item arrived undamaged, and I was given a tracking number.

I just received a package via the GSP. I refuse to bid on many auctions with GSP, but this was for an uncommon game at a very good price. My winning bid was $20 US, but I almost didn't put in the bid because GSP wanted $18 US to ship this cart. Typically a box of this size costs about $12 US to ship to me, so some is making some extra profit along the way.

The item (a CIB game cart) was wrapped in a sheet of bubblewrap, inside a small corrugated cardboard box. The item arrived undamaged, and I was given a tracking number.

Well , I notice you are in Canada and the extra 6 bucks was for duty fees to ship from the us to canada… Before the majority of packages used to slip right through customs prior to this…. Seems like a money grab to me.

The magic # at the border right now for a package coming to Canada from the USA is $20 CDN if the package is marked as commercial goods. $60 CDN if the package is marked as a GIFT.

The package will slide right through without duty fees. 1 cent over this and you get hammered.

Well , I notice you are in Canada and the extra 6 bucks was for duty fees to ship from the us to canada

Brokerage fee not duty. Theres no duty on video games. Any value over the magic numbers you state will incur GST tax and brokerage. Under those numbers you get charged nothing. But zero duty in both cases Edited by coleconut

The package will slide right through without duty fees. 1 cent over this and you get hammered.

I buy items regularly (a few times per month) from the USA: eBay, Amazon, and various others. Computer or video games, books, clothing, motorcycle parts, all kinds of stuff. If the seller ships by regular post, even with the true value on it, and even not marked as gift, it still slides through Customs without an issue 100% of the time.

In the last couple of years I've ordered items labelled as high as $200 without it being stopped for duty or taxes. I honestly can't remember the last package delivered by Canadapost/USPS that got stopped for duty - it's been years.

Brokerage fee not duty. Theres no duty on video games. Any value over the magic numbers you state will incur GST tax and brokerage. Under those numbers you get charged nothing. But zero duty in both cases

Thats not the way ebay lists it. They call it Duty fees, do they not? Why is it never written on the receipt at customs as brokerage? It has always been shown on the receipt as Duty fees. Can you show me where on the government website it says no duty for video games?

In the past when I've been charged in error I've obtained a form from Canada Post. (Cant remember name of form) Send proof of purchase amount, fill out the form and a month later you get a check for refund of 'duty fees'

Perhaps you've dealt with it more then I and if so, I'd really love to see where I've could of been saving some coin!

Now I just ship to a parcel pickup company. 2 bucks US to hold an item for 3 months under 2 pounds. Over 2 pounds = 5 bucks. Soooo much cheaper then having costly items shipped.

Edit: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/dte-acl/est-cal-eng.html

Select category Electronics and Media

Select Product Video Games

I'm glad you brought this up actually, because whenever I am in the US under 24 hours and go inside customs to pay, the officials are never forthcoming with any information. They act like the simply don't know and refer you to pamphlets on the wall (done with no line up behind me - jerks) Yet now they always ask what I am bringing back, and have lumped it into the category of Misc Used Electronics.

I buy items regularly (a few times per month) from the USA: eBay, Amazon, and various others. Computer or video games, books, clothing, motorcycle parts, all kinds of stuff. If the seller ships by regular post, even with the true value on it, and even not marked as gift, it still slides through Customs without an issue 100% of the time.

In the last couple of years I've ordered items labelled as high as $200 without it being stopped for duty or taxes. I honestly can't remember the last package delivered by Canadapost/USPS that got stopped for duty - it's been years.

What I've noticed is that on the occasion if the company shipping to you has a great big commercial looking business name on the package you get dinged hard for items over 20.

Makes me wonder if customs has been told to be more lenient at particular border crossings with higher mail delivery. They are understaffed now with more 'suspicious packages' going through the post.

• Like 1

Can you show me where on the government website it says no duty for video games?

Edit: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/dte-acl/est-cal-eng.html

Select category Electronics and Media

Select Product Video Games

The CBSA regs are a difficult read but in that calculator you point to, the amount shown is GST or HST depending on the province you live in.

So if I put in a value of $100 and province Ontario in that calculator, it says duty and taxes = $13. That equates to 0$ duty and 13%= $13 HST

If it came in via Canada Post they'd tack on (I believe its) $7 more brokerage or if the seller sent it UPS or some courier, hold on for a whacking $30-$40 brokerage charge.

But I maintain theres no DUTY

Ebay can call it whatever they want.

Another link spells that out:

http://www.crossbordershopping.ca/duty-tax-import-guide/canada-customs-duty-rates-tariffs-and-taxes

Category 5 - video games - 0% duty

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Choplifter-by-Broderbund-for-Atari-400-800-Dan-Gorlin-1982-/321742037340?

Ebay shows me "$67.97 International Priority Shipping to Austria via the Global Shipping Program", PLUS import charges ...

It's just ridiculous. You can ship that game easily for $25 to Austria, insured and tracked with USPS Priority mail.

I wonder if the sellers know how high the international shipping costs are for their items when they use the GSP and how much the end price of the auction is influenced by that because almost no international collector will bid on that auction. If the seller would ship without using the GSP, he/she would probably get much higher bids for the game ...

Edited by ccc---
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Last week I bought 3 games from a US seller on eBay, each game was around $6-$7, from 3 separate auctions. Total: $20

Shipping fees through Global Shipping Program: $40

The seller could not do anything about it. It should have cost around $15, that's what I usually pay in that case when the seller doesn't use that GSP scam.

We eventually cancelled 2 items.