IGNORED

Brand new Colecovision power connectors

juice2839

I had issue with one of my Coleco power bricks after an extended storage, I lost.... I THINK the +5v

Ended up cutting it open and replaced one of the transistors that fed that leg of it, was cheap enough for sure. I came real close to putting it into a different box and putting a proper line cord on it. However meanwhile I found a Canadian Coleco setup and just went with the better power brick.

The finished product is quite functional, however it looks like crap being hot glued back together. Perhaps a new "box" for the transformer would be the way to go since the original power bricks are repairable?

My dilemma is this, most used Coleco power supplies go for between 25-50 bucks. They are old and need all the capacitors changed even if they do work ( And look like crap after they are fixed as you pointed out). I would rather come up with a brand new power supply for the consoles I have missing adapters for then buy used old technology adapters. I think I will be able to make a brand new power supply for $30-60$.

• Like 3

My dilemma is this, most used Coleco power supplies go for between 25-50 bucks. They are old and need all the capacitors changed even if they do work ( And look like crap after they are fixed as you pointed out). I would rather come up with a brand new power supply for the consoles I have missing adapters for then buy used old technology adapters. I think I will be able to make a brand new power supply for $30-60$.

I've thought about doing this also, but there is no way to do it for $30 bucks at all. with time/labor and parts. I figured probably around $70+ and that's not making a profit. if you do it don't go cheap on the power supply either. do it right and make sure you test it for a month or so of continually being on and running.

I've thought about doing this also, but there is no way to do it for $30 bucks at all. with time/labor and parts. I figured probably around $70+ and that's not making a profit. if you do it don't go cheap on the power supply either. do it right and make sure you test it for a month or so of continually being on and running.

$70 seems a bit steep. I just bought the parts to build a few and see how they work.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have assembled a brand new power supply. I have had it running continuously for a week and plan to let it run for another at the very least. It runs fine and has had no issues. I am now deciding what type of case to use. I am thinking of machining a few custom billet cases out of aluminum or maybe just putting them in a cheap plastic case. Idea's?

I have assembled a brand new power supply. I have had it running continuously for a week and plan to let it run for another at the very least. It runs fine and has had no issues. I am now deciding what type of case to use. I am thinking of machining a few custom billet cases out of aluminum or maybe just putting them in a cheap plastic case. Idea's?

Something black but try not to cheapen it to much since you want it to last a lifetime . It would even be cool to have it say Colecovision on it somehow .

Something black but try not to cheapen it to much since you want it to last a lifetime . It would even be cool to have it say Colecovision on it somehow .

I can machine pretty much anything. I have access to mills, lathes and even CNC machines, but the price would be quite high. I may do a few custom aluminum cases out of billet with something cool engraved or milled into them. I ordered some black plastic cases too, but they look kinda cheap..

There was a guy in I think Germany selling new power supplies I think using the old power supply cords or ends . I can't find the auction but I think Niad may have posted it a ways back .

What was he charging? I am at about $45 with plastic cases. With some nice machined billet aluminum cases it would probably be near 75-80, but they would be very high quality and bullet proof.

There were two differemt eBay sellers in Europe that offered a new P.S. solution for the CV. This one pictured below required no modification of the CV:

I would like to get one of those and put the original CV power cord on it. Does the enclosure have screws/able to be opened? or Sealed?

I would like to get one of those and put the original CV power cord on it. Does the enclosure have screws/able to be opened? or Sealed?

I did not buy that P.S. (or the other one I pictured) since I already had my system modded by you with the modern P.S. solution when you were offering that mod... which I am very happy with!