IGNORED

You can only have one controller. Will it be a Joystick or a Pad?

Shawn

You can only have one controller. Joystick Or Pad?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. You can only have one controller. Will it be a Joystick Or a Pad?

• Joystick
    • Controller Pad

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Hard choice. Pads work great for some games but I could not live without a joystick for Pacman, Ms., Jr., etc. So, joystick gets my vote.

Now, I just hope it is a quality stick like 500xj, TAC 2, Wico, Competition Pro.

Edited by SIO2

Joystick. Intriguing how close this poll is. Remember using a genesis pad for Atari, a la maxellnormalbias, but it's hard to imagine playing Ms. Pac-Man with anything but a stick, and that's so terribly important that I'd choose stick for the remainder of my existence. Modern games would go out the window I guess.

• Like 1

Not really, Turn a NES pad or MS pad upside down and you will see how weird it feels. Anyway having the Dpad on the left mimics most arcade layouts that have the stick on the left.

I'm right-handed, so using a game's critical controls with my right hand just works better. I had a reversible gamepad years ago, and really miss it. Many early arcade games had buttons on both sides of a centrally located joystick so you could play left or right handed. The 2600 joystick was right-handed, and the 5200, 7800, Intellivision and Colecovision controllers were all ambidextrous. Left-handed d-pads have always felt "weird" to me. A few arcade exceptions included Joust and Defender where left/right or up/down movement was secondary to flapping or thrust/fire/smartbomb controls.

• Like 1

Funny, I'm left-handed and never had a problem with the Atari 2600 joystick. Just about every controller out there is biased to one hand or the other. It seems as long as you can coordinate your hands within close proximity of each other, it doesn't matter -- for most people, anyway -- which one's doing the directing and which one's doing the button-mashing.

Sadly somehow this philosophy doesn't work for most people on guitar, including me.

• Like 1

Controller pad. Joysticks are superb on an arcade cab but in the hand.. not so much.

I agree with this. If it was the early 80's all over again, I would have laughed at the idea of a control pad. Now I can't imagine home games without them. I did have one of these for the 360 though and it was sweeeeeeeeeet!!!

post-9102-0-44637800-1426350798_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Wanted to say Pad, but then I realized how crazy that was since I only use that on the Jaguar and Lynx and occassionaly on other systems.

But I tend to play 5200, Atari 800, and Intellivision (which I have a stickler, can't stand that early D-Pad) more often.

So I guess I will have to say stick.

• Like 1

I strongly prefer my Starplex, but I'm not sure if it should sort as a joystick or a gamepad. Since I've been playing on the Starplex for 30 years, I have never really become friends with traditional joysticks, and in later years actually begun to see that a gamepad isn't as horrible as I used to think.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...