IGNORED

The Deep

winkdot

I took a break from Alien Pinball and there will be no update this week. Instead, we have The Deep.

Created using batari and the DCP+ kernel.

The Deep

Having created your own one man personal sub with (patent pending) hydro torpedoes, you set out to explore the waters and collect deep sea treasure. Only problem is, the treasures are guarded by sea drones placed there by a mysterious and extremely wealthy mad man who lacks the sub technology to collect the treasures for himself.

You have unlimited hydro torpedoes to destroy the sea drones, but only a limited amount of oxygen. Your oxygen indicator is located on the bottom right screen and will reduce as oxygen is depleted. Your oxygen sensor will omit a sounds as it ticks down. When you are very low on oxygen an alarm will sound.

After level 1 when you near the treasure a CZ-Drone will be sent to destroy you. Beware your hydro torpedoes will not stop it.

After level 3 a boat will appear on the treasure retrieval screen. Avoid it when breaking to the surface.

Joystick controls the sub in eight directions.

Joystick left or right and fire button - fires hydro torpedoes.

Each drone destroyed is worth 100 points.

Each treasure successfully retrieved is worth 1000 points.

Successful treasure retrieval renews your oxygen supply (anytime your at the surface your oxygen is renewed). Also this will move your sub to the next treasure dive. Each treasure dive is deeper and more dangerous. You have three subs and there are five treasure dives.

Avoid any obstacles with your sub.

You must explore the depths, collect the treasure and return it to the surface without getting destroyed.

post-7911-0-96661400-1426256902_thumb.pngpost-7911-0-35515200-1426256927_thumb.pngpost-7911-0-39466800-1426256945_thumb.pngpost-7911-0-46604300-1426256966_thumb.pngpost-7911-0-61962600-1427318520_thumb.pngpost-7911-0-44431600-1427318493_thumb.pngpost-7911-0-82277000-1427318535_thumb.png

the deep-0.1.bin
the deep-0.2.bin

the deep-0.3.bin

the deep-0.4.bin

Edited by winkdot
  • Like 7

The animated guy on the ship before he gets in the sub is great. I love little touches like that. For about half a second when I saw the screen shots I though "Why is there a faucet? Is this game kid's toys in a bathtub?" That might be an awesome game for another time...

The game looks great and plays well. The hydro torpedoes seem a little slow, but it might be fine after I play a little more and get used to it. What I've seen so far is a little too much like Aquaventure. It needs something to set it apart, I'm just not sure what that is.

Edited by KaeruYojimbo
  • Like 1

Seems like the colors in the moving objects are a little too dark. Also, would it hurt the gameplay for the program to remember the last left/right direction that the player moved so the player could keep shooting in that direction until the player moves in the opposite direction?

• Like 1

This game has got the addiction factor. I like the shifting enemies that make your shot have the feeling of targeting with some chance at missing. Cool little guy animation, too.

Excellent torpedos. Very good use of the extra background colors of DPC+ and the upped resolution. A promising game. It has the pacifist rout available if you want to try and dodge the enemies and go 'Frogger' style, and also the 'Rambo' method of blasting everything zig-zagging top to bottom. I like that the badguys regenerate when you begin resurfacing although you may consider changing that later!? Maybe make it so when you get the prize the top screen is cleared. Cool game. Good work.

Looks good. Since the player sub is in water it should not come to a complete stop but keep floating for a bit.

Thanks neotokep2001! Like your suggestion but I don't think I wish to add anything to make it even more difficult. Might just be me but I get challenged by it now. I have got better though. I was averaging around 2500 points a game. Now I think its about 4000 or so.

The animated guy on the ship before he gets in the sub is great. I love little touches like that. For about half a second when I saw the screen shots I though "Why is there a faucet? Is this game kid's toys in a bathtub?" That might be an awesome game for another time...

The game looks great and plays well. The hydro torpedoes seem a little slow, but it might be fine after I play a little more and get used to it. What I've seen so far is a little too much like Aquaventure. It needs something to set it apart, I'm just not sure what that is.

Thanks kaeruYojimbo! I like the little guy also. I agree the sub crane does look like a faucet. Such is limited graphics work :)

I'm with you, not sure if the hydro torpedoes are slow are not. It has not affected my playing.

It does share a lot with Aquaventure. Sort of like The Hollies song "The Air That I breathe" sounds like Radiohead's "Creep".

I only had a minute or so to play, but wow, it looks gorgeous and plays very well. You obviously spent a lot of time on this. Great job!

Thanks much for the kind words Atarius Maximus! You made me look on how long it took. From start to where it is now took a week.

Thanks much for the kind words Atarius Maximus! You made me look on how long it took. From start to where it is now took a

Thanks much for the kind words Atarius Maximus! You made me look on how long it took. From start to where it is now took a week.

I love seeing a new game using DPC+, and you've done a great job in a short amount of time. What you've achieved in a week is admirable. I tend to put at least 50 or 60 hours of coding time into a game I'm committed to before deciding to continue or move on to the next one, but it of course depends on the complexity of the project. I put several thousand hours into Cave In way back when and only about 10 hours into my recent "Diamond drop" game I posted. I tend to pour over minor details like the placement of a single pixel so I'm a bit OCD in that regard. :)

I played a bit more and I do see the aquaventure influence. That's not a bad thing at all, I always liked that proto and actually had a cart made of it many years ago, way before the harmony cart or krokodile cart. :) The difficulty is fair now, but I think the torpedoes shoot a little too slowly to be really useful. I tend to simply dodge opponents because it's pretty hard to actually hit them. I also think it might be cool to have them all move up and down a bit in later levels (maybe a zig zag of 10 pixels up, then back down), it could be done in unison to avoid flicker. Overall, great job, I hope you continue to add to it.

• Like 1

Seems like the colors in the moving objects are a little too dark. Also, would it hurt the gameplay for the program to remember the last left/right direction that the player moved so the player could keep shooting in that direction until the player moves in the opposite direction?

Hey Random Terrain. It was almost all black and red :) I have a technique down on firing. The direction thing is an interesting idea but I have developed a sort of a rhythm thing on the joystick (btw, this game works much better with a joystick than a keyboard). Get above the drone, drop down on his opposite side, fire and move out of the way. Sometimes I still miss but most often I get a hit.

Nicely done Winkdot! very fun! I'm guessing you chose making the torpedo using sprites over missile graphics was for aesthetic reasons over flicker.

Thanks much Mountain King!

Well.. I made the torpedo a sprite because DPC+ and missiles have become a mystery to me. They just don't seem reliable or someone please tell me the deal on them. I get odd collisions when using them. Can they only correctly detect player0 correctly? I had one of the drones firing missiles but took it out because oddness occurred.

Yeah I got some oddness in my game as well. I wanted a little bit of oddness for the moth that doesn't fly in a straight line, but once in a while the missile fired from the wasp triples itself and I'm not sure why.

Speaking of oddness, I meant to ask you wingdot, how you handled your scoring routine. I tried to implement it in my game and it wants to count in hexadecimal. All examples I could find in bb Atari basic don't use any kind of routine to compensate. I was wondering if it was something that DPC+ is doing, or something I am not doing.

Yeah I got some oddness in my game as well. I wanted a little bit of oddness for the moth that doesn't fly in a straight line, but once in a while the missile fired from the wasp triples itself and I'm not sure why.

Speaking of oddness, I meant to ask you wingdot, how you handled your scoring routine. I tried to implement it in my game and it wants to count in hexadecimal. All examples I could find in bb Atari basic don't use any kind of routine to compensate. I was wondering if it was something that DPC+ is doing, or something I am not doing.

Surely someone knows the deal with missiles and would be willing to chime in :) It's almost like parts DPC+ are not completely documented (or I just have overlooked them) on RT's excellent web site.

I've not seen it wanting to display hex in my score. I do absolutely nothing special. Pretty much all I have is score = score + 1000 (or whatever). I've seen some weirdness in DPC+ for sure though. I've even had to change which player I'm using on some stuff to make things work properly. For example the sub started out as player1. As soon as I put in playfield collision logic I would get a hit all the time (with nothing to hit). Changed it to player0 and all was good. At this point I'm always using player0 for the human controlled object. Same in Alien Pinball also.

Well.. I made the torpedo a sprite because DPC+ and missiles have become a mystery to me. They just don't seem reliable or someone please tell me the deal on them. I get odd collisions when using them. Can they only correctly detect player0 correctly? I had one of the drones firing missiles but took it out because oddness occurred.

Now that it looks like my computer isn't going to blow up, I can get back to work updating the example programs on the bB page. After I'm done with that, I'll play around making a DPC+ collision example program and see if I learn anything that needs to be added to these sections:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#dpc_collision_detection

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#dpc_missiles

• Like 2

I love seeing a new game using DPC+, and you've done a great job in a short amount of time. What you've achieved in a week is admirable. I tend to put at least 50 or 60 hours of coding time into a game I'm committed to before deciding to continue or move on to the next one, but it of course depends on the complexity of the project. I put several thousand hours into Cave In way back when and only about 10 hours into my recent "Diamond drop" game I posted. I tend to pour over minor details like the placement of a single pixel so I'm a bit OCD in that regard. :)

I played a bit more and I do see the aquaventure influence. That's not a bad thing at all, I always liked that proto and actually had a cart made of it many years ago, way before the harmony cart or krokodile cart. :) The difficulty is fair now, but I think the torpedoes shoot a little too slowly to be really useful. I tend to simply dodge opponents because it's pretty hard to actually hit them. I also think it might be cool to have them all move up and down a bit in later levels (maybe a zig zag of 10 pixels up, then back down), it could be done in unison to avoid flicker. Overall, great job, I hope you continue to add to it.

Thanks much Atarius Maximus! I might have just got lucky on the time. I tend to plow ahead adding stuff without extensive testing but I didn't do that on this one. The done subs went in last or I would have never been able to test it :) Who knows, the next one could take forever.

Doing Diamond Drop in 10 hours is super and it's a fun game. Being OCD is a good thing :)

Love the suggestions. Thanks!

Now that it looks like my computer isn't going to blow up, I can get back to work updating the example programs on the bB page. After I'm done with that, I'll play around making a DPC+ collision example program and see if I learn anything that needs to be added to these sections:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#dpc_collision_detection

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#dpc_missiles

Looks like I spoke (or typed) too soon:

atariage.com/forums/topic/236241-array0-degraded-intel-rapid-storage-technology/?p=3202415

All work stopped a few days ago. I don't know if I should try to install Dreamweaver on this crusty old Windows Vista computer or wait until I can buy a $400 dollar PC from Best Buy.

Looks like I spoke (or typed) too soon:

atariage.com/forums/topic/236241-array0-degraded-intel-rapid-storage-technology/?p=3202415

All work stopped a few days ago. I don't know if I should try to install Dreamweaver on this crusty old Windows Vista computer or wait until I can buy a $400 dollar PC from Best Buy.

Oh no. Hope you get it fixed and it looks like you have good help. When RAID drives do funny things it can be bad news. One night I had power drop on about 20 large scale raid arrays (don't ask), each with about about 30 or so drives in them. They were hosting two large MS email servers, lan storage, web systems, ERP systems and a bunch of other things. We had at two spares for each array thank goodness. It was a very long night but could have been much worse. Good luck.

• Like 1

I only had a couple minutes to play this game but I really liked it. Visually speaking it is very impressive and it is reasonably difficult without being frustrating. One thing I might recommend is a sub sinking/being destroyed sequence when it gets hit, even it is just the sub flashing and falling to the bottom of the screen.

I only had a couple minutes to play this game but I really liked it. Visually speaking it is very impressive and it is reasonably difficult without being frustrating. One thing I might recommend is a sub sinking/being destroyed sequence when it gets hit, even it is just the sub flashing and falling to the bottom of the screen.

Glad you like it joelm! The next version is coming soon.

The Deep Version 0.2 is now available.

What's new:

A bit of tweaking here and there.

When oxygen level gets dangerously low a klaxon warning sounds and the oxygen level begins to flash.

After level 1 and after, a CZ drone will be released when you are about to get the treasure. This drone is impervious to your hydro missiles.

After level 3 and after, a boat will appear on the surface. Avoid the boat.

Animated sprites.

Hydro missiles are faster.

I forget if I added anything else :)

As always comments are welcome and thanks much for those that have already commented and made suggestions.

• 4 weeks later...