IGNORED

ATTN ATTN ATTN BREAKING NEWS

The notifications are essentially useless for me. The only ones that work well are the notifications that auctions are ending. I used to be able to adjust between 5, 10, 15min, but the app updated and I think it's permanently set for 15 min for watched and 10 min for bidding. New listing email notifications for me are once per day and at like 8am. Also, instead of one email with a list, I get like 12 back to back emails (1 per item) early in the morning. If I forget to mute my phone at night my girlfriend gets SUPER PISSED when the onslaught of notification sounds wakes her up. Not at all helping with her already short patience with eBay.

Wait until she is your wife...it only gets better!

I predict Jason selling everything off the first year after marriage! Get ready guys.... I think he already has the ring...

Lmfao!!!

I predict Jason selling everything off the first year after marriage! Get ready guys.... I think he already has the ring...

Lmfao!!!

Lol...no ring yet, but it needs to happen soon :)

She wouldn't mind at all if I sold off everything, however I think she secretly wants me to be happy (within reason). I'll likely sell off a few duplicates...especially considering the fact that once married I'm selling my house and moving into hers. It's bigger, but she hoards kitchenware and Christmas decor :) it won't all fit without some compromise. Apparently 10 copies of 4-Tris is to many...I wish. Also, the nicer the ring the more she'll overlook the collection.

Interesting. "Overlook the collection".....

Nothing personal, but is the reality for alot of collectors? A spouse should not have to overlook stuff. This is a common theme for many on AA....."blame the wife syndrome". Haha

I must of lucked out, my wife is cool with my game addition. Well, most of the time....d'oh! :-)

Dont forget to throw some kids in the mix ;)

I dont think my wife gives two shits about my collecting, I did it before we met so it was no surprise or anything. The main problem I have is explaining to my wife that the stuff I buy is still worth close to, the same or more than I paid if I need to sell it.

If I spend $500 on a rare game, she thinks its the same as her spending $500 on a few pairs of jeans. A year from now the jeans are worthless where as my game is worth close to, the same or more :)

Oh the worthless junk in her closet that could have been more games...Gotta be fair though or it will never work :)

Nothing personal, but is the reality for alot of collectors? A spouse should not have to overlook stuff. This is a common theme for many on AA....."blame the wife syndrome". Haha

I must of lucked out, my wife is cool with my game addition. Well, most of the time....d'oh! :-)

Nearly my entire basement is a wall-to-wall collection at this point. Nicely organized and shelved, and so long as the clutter is off the floor and away from the rest of the house, I'm free and clear. Hell, she even helps me hunt down those obscure little stores that sell games whenever we travel. In return I encourage her to buy a nice new pair of boots or something. It's a very workable trade-off :)

I don't understand couples who don't enable each other in this way, but I'm spoiled. It helps that I don't spend $1000 on a single game that I play for 20 minutes and then let it collect dust, while giving her crap about spending money on what *I* consider "not valuable". This seems to be a pretty common thing for guys to do.

Mind you, I'm still doing this on the cheap. I don't think I've spent more than $20 on a single game, ever. Which is why it's taken me 15 years to get over 80 INTV games :P

My ex wife understood the value of this stuff. She helped me trifle through thrift stores for the stuff. One day she came and got me from one part of the arc thrift store to ask what something was. She went to the corner where there was boxes of junk. She pulls out an amiga joyboard and asked "whats this?" I responded with "i love you!" How she knew to ask about this obscure device was beyond me as i never mentioned it before. I use to have a decent business of selling rare games i found at thrift stores before shows like storage wars started. I hate myself for not picking up 8 reprogrammable atari 2600 kiosk carts for 50 cents each cause at the time i thought " bootleg junk" before i learned the value of bootlegs.

Ooohhhh man, were they the blue xante carts? 8 of them could have bought you a new car, D'oh!!

yes they were. I hate myself for this. I saw them with the stripe and typed game name and thought they were "crappy bootlegs" this was in 2007 when i did this. I looked into them later that day and found out what they were. I went back but they were gone. Edited by pimpmaul69

Nearly my entire basement is a wall-to-wall collection at this point. Nicely organized and shelved, and so long as the clutter is off the floor and away from the rest of the house, I'm free and clear. Hell, she even helps me hunt down those obscure little stores that sell games whenever we travel. In return I encourage her to buy a nice new pair of boots or something. It's a very workable trade-off :)

I don't understand couples who don't enable each other in this way, but I'm spoiled. It helps that I don't spend $1000 on a single game that I play for 20 minutes and then let it collect dust, while giving her crap about spending money on what *I* consider "not valuable". This seems to be a pretty common thing for guys to do.

Mind you, I'm still doing this on the cheap. I don't think I've spent more than $20 on a single game, ever. Which is why it's taken me 15 years to get over 80 INTV games :P

My wife tolerates my addiction. I'd be perfectly happy to do as you suggested in letting her buy stuff for herself but my wife is NOT a spender. She doesn't buy things for herself ... so it's only me "wasting" my money on this stuff. The only silver lining for me is that I buy and sell a lot of things on eBay so I have more cash coming in than going out. This, she'll occasionally help with, going to yard sales or thrifting to find resale items.

The basement, however, being cluttered with stuff doesn't exactly help.

My wife actually is more annoyed when I PLAY my games than buying ... I don't think that I'm supposed to actually have fun without her :D.

• Like 1

In "The Great Pre-Marriage Intellivision Rarity Sell-Off Of 2008" (which I've mentioned on the podcast), I sold my [CIB]...

Spiker, Stadium Mud Buggies, Commando, Decathlon, Dig Dug, Hover Force, Mountain Madness, Pole Position, Thunder Castle, Tower Of Doom, and Tutankham. Spiker went for around $1,100. Stadium Mud Buggies I think went for around $650. I don't remember the rest. This is the only time my wife has ever had anything POSITIVE to say about my video game collecting. Her comments were along the lines of "Do you have more of this junk you can sell and make that kind of money?!"

:mad:

Keep in mind the majority of these were bought new in 1989/1990 at the INTV store in Torrance, CA, when my buddy and I would go and pick up games for $20 each.

Do I regret it? Yes.

Will I ever buy the rarest of the rare to complete my collection once again? Highly unlikely.

I can play them all on my CC3. And I'm not someone who displays boxes anyway (they are all in storage).

That said, if I lucked into an auction like Dude did, heck yeah I'd jump on it. And on that note, BIG CONGRATS Dude! You deserve it.

• Like 1

Sounds just like my Wife! :) So glad I purchased mine cheap back in the day.

I wish I could say I had been that store in 1990, very cool story.

I wish I had gone there more frequently and bought a case of Spikers and Stadium Mud Buggies!

Here's proof of one of my purchases. This is the only receipt I still have:

INTV_Invoice_03r.jpg

• Like 3

Well, since everyone has been talking about their wives...

A few years ago, my wife told me I needed a hobby. Soon after, I re-entered in Intellivision when Seattle's 1st SRGE on her birthday weekend. Since she already was happy with the prior celebrations, she was ok with checking out the vendor hall late on Sunday. Since SRGE was ending in a few hours anyways, they let us in for free. I bought a console (later turned out to be a dud) and a few games cheap. When I mentioned this to my Dad later, he said he still had my Grandfather's Intellivision and games I used to play in his unheated Minnesota garage (he even tried to sell the whole set for $1 at a garage sale with no buyers). I got those from my Dad (console worked great). After discussing with the wife, I bought the CC3 from Chad Schell with the intention that this would be the end. However, the collector bug hit and I eventually managed to find most items (to my wife's dismay). She helped me be a vendor at a later SRGE to unload my overstock. At this point, I think she somewhat regrets the hobby suggestion years ago.

• Like 1

Cool receipt. I've been lightly collecting receipts as well. It's kind of neat to see what people were paying at specific dates in the past.

I have a couple purchase receipts i just lucked out and randomly got. One came with a copy of Tower of Doom i won and another came with a Model 2 Intellivision system i won.

post-25251-0-56675600-1427059360_thumb.jpgpost-25251-0-63242000-1427059359_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Man, I feel bad if my receipts linger in my wallet for over to weeks! Then, I hand shred what I will actually never use including coupons. And, i get the spring back in my step from the lightened wallet! ;-)

Yah I really like finding receipts with stuff I've bought, it really adds to the time capsule experience. :)

You will be the ultimate Intellivision time capsule, I am quite sure of this. :)