IGNORED

Having EPROM issues.

AtariBorn

A few years ago, I flashed a couple ROMs on EPROMs and for the life of me, I can't remember how to add the universal encryption before splitting the ROM. I remember having this problem before but I figured it out eventually.

I'm trying to flash the AC2011 Doom 2 hack (4 Mb) but when I use PC Jagcrypt, it spits out either two 4 Mb files (HI/LO) or four 1 Mb files (U1, U2, etc.). I'm needing two 2 Mb files (HI & LO) for a 2 chip board.

I've tried Romsplitter and it works but no encryption option just proper splitting, correct number and file sizes.

I don't believe I used a hex editor to inject the header manually before using Romsplitter but I may very well have.

I also remembered to byte swap before burning. Anyone have any suggestions?

Edited by AtariBorn

Well, I've had no success with this. I've tried everything I can think of. I've went as far as stripping the header out altogether, using a hex editor and trying to add the universal encryption from there, to no avail.

I still don't understand why jagcrypt outputs a 4Mb HI and a 4Mb LO when I started with a 4Mb ROM. What's eve more strange is, I tried the "single file" option, hoping to just encrypt the ROM so I could use Atari's Romsplit and the single file I ended up with was an 8Mb file. What?

I like Jiffi and I was able to add the universal encryption that way but only after I deleted the ROM's original header first. For some reason, I still get a red screen. Too bad Jiffi doesn't have a ROM splitting and byte swapping option. It would be nice if it could convert ROM images into EPROM images with the encryption intact.

I think I'm going to give this one a rest and come back to it later.

Yeah, Romsplit works fine for me, in fact, it's the only program that gives me the proper sized HI & LO. But it doesn't encrypt the ROM to properly boot on an unmodded Jag. I've burned and erased about 12 times and I can't get the ROM to boot without a red screen. The encryption is my issue.

Don't use jagcrypt. With the no header version, either add the univ.bin header manually or use tursi's makefastboot.exe to add a 1 second verification header. Then use romsplit with -we switches (romsplit -we file.bin) In the last couple of months I've formatted and burned 52 different games. I don't know why but a couple required the -e switch with romsplit to produce working .hi .lo files.

I just checked the univ.bin file you posted and it's good.

EDIT - AtariBorn, just sent you a PM

Edited by rayik