IGNORED

New 7800 S-Video Board available

Magic Knight

Hi All

After taking a break from Atari for a year or so, im happy to offer a new product to the community which may be of interest,

Im pleased to offer a S-video card which i have designed and optimised for CRT monitors, which has excellent quality video compaired to Composite and of course standard TV/Coax. The card is compatible with both NTSC and PAL Ataris and comes pre-wired and with Full color instructions and fittings.

post-34640-0-61138100-1426448080_thumb.jpgpost-34640-0-99299700-1426448082_thumb.jpg

Both 7800 and TIA output is catered for and there is an adjustment pot for quality can be adjusted to ensure best results for your monitor.

I have listed the features/parts here:

Features:

* 7800 & 2600 TIA compatible
* Works on PAL and NTSC units
* Sound Filter
* Onboard adjustment for sharpening results
* Easy Install with Step-by-Step color photos (separate sections for both PAL and NTSC)

Kit Includes:

* S-Video Module card - pre-wired and color coded
* 4 Pin S-Video DIn Socket (for fitting to side if desired)
* RCA Socket - for Audio output
* Link wires
* Easy Install Instructions with colour photos showing step by step from start to Finish.

As some new LCD monitors may vary, im pitching this to be used for CRT monitors as to both ensure compatibility and also to keep the original feel of the 7800.

Some shots ive taken are:

PAL - Xenophobe, Sirius, Choplifter

NTSC - Intro screen, Winter Games, Plutos.

post-34640-0-49101600-1426451192_thumb.jpgpost-34640-0-13248300-1426451195_thumb.jpgpost-34640-0-93375300-1426451197_thumb.jpgpost-34640-0-48206600-1426451200_thumb.jpgpost-34640-0-76221200-1426451202_thumb.jpgpost-34640-0-52235400-1426451205_thumb.jpgpost-34640-0-27170800-1426451208_thumb.jpg

Im sure you will agree that although composite is a good departure from standard TV, the quality that the 7800 can give out is worth the effort!

Ive listed these on Ebay here for general release and what the cost/rates are.

UK - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121596931289?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

ROW - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-7800-S-Video-Card-PAL-NTSC-complete-with-parts-and-instructions-/121596931289?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c4fbdecd9

Please let me know if you have any questions or feel free to PM me if you are interested but dont use ebay etc.

Richard

Looks good, but I'd only be up for it if you develop one that has both s-video and composite, since many many many many TVs don't have s-video inputs. I prefer s-video when available, but often I'm stuck using composite.

If you develop one with both, I'm definitely in.

Also, does installing this disable use of the RF output?

• Like 1

How does this compare to the longhorn style mod? It does look easier to install.

The main difference compared with the MK board is that the longhorn process requires the tricky removal of a whole chip from the board and soldering a socket. Then adding chip and soldering around 10 or so wires.

The MK one just requires placement of around the same qty of wires, but the chip isnt removed. With just cutting of the RF wires and a couple of snips here and there, the jobs done with the ease of being able to reverse the process if you had the requirement in the future. (not a critisim of the LH, but from doing similar with 600xls and 800xls, i appreciate how fiddly and potentially fatal chip removal can be if not done correctly).

For the level of soldering required, its a matter of tacking on each wire to the specific part of the board without removing parts. Any disection is the odd snip of a resitor leg to cut the circuit. The whole process should take around 15-20 minutes for an expreienced user and 30 minutes for a newbie once the instructions have been read.(including removing the cover and back etc)

Looks good, but I'd only be up for it if you develop one that has both s-video and composite, since many many many many TVs don't have s-video inputs. I prefer s-video when available, but often I'm stuck using composite.

Seconded. This product is reasonably priced, and the screenshots looks top notch. I understand s-video provides the superior signal, but the lack of a composite out option is a deal breaker for me.

That aside, thank-you for bringing this to the community! :thumbsup:

Seconded. This product is reasonably priced, and the screenshots looks top notch. I understand s-video provides the superior signal, but the lack of a composite out option is a deal breaker for me.

That aside, thank-you for bringing this to the community! :thumbsup:

Yeah - not to sound like a broken record, but making s-video mods for any old console in 2015 is a losing gamble. S-Video has been universally dropped by nearly every TV maker. The default standard for legacy TV formats is composite. and really - the quality difference between a good composite signal and your average s-video mod is negligible at best, especially on a TV that is in good shape and doesn't have color convergence issues.

Edited by 78001987

Thanks for the support,

The convenience of composite is something that is easily embraced by todays equipment for sure. Im making a 7800 laptop for for which uses a LCD (composite only) screen and its awesome on the native NES composite and reasonable on a 7800 composite mod ive done also.

The way i see is that there are 4 options for the user these days:

1. UHF/TV output(through the modulator) - fuzzy and not great.

2. Composite - (luma and chroma combined) reasonably fair, with odd ghosting and stuff depending on filters used.

3. S-Video - (luma and chroma seperated and amplified accordignly) - clear quality and about the closest to crisp whilst retianing the 'charm' of the old way of presenting a picture. Equipment with S-video, not readily avialable compaired to composite.

4. Digital/emulated - crisp graphics, but can be a little sobering for some with a lack of 'warmth' to the experience.

I may look to see if a composite version (with less wires indeed) is something viable, but im sure there is quite a few offerings already that do the job good.

For personal use, i use a CRT monitor that would have cost around $800 in the 90's and can be picked up for a round $15 on Ebay. JVC/Sony etc ones that were expesive are now peanuts for nostalgic gaming!

• Like 1

Due to a particular individual with issues against my offering modder type electronic boards on Ebay (and sending me implied messages) - to avoid the bs. i have decided to withdraw using Ebay for offering these electronic units boards. Issue isn't a function/techical one I must make clear.

Appears this may be a familiar locked topic going back over a year or go's conversations here on AA that wont go away.

My drive belts for 8-bit drives are unaffected and will stay listed as and when stock is avialable for the foreseeable future!

If you are still interested in the 7800 S-video boards and/or have any questions , then i kindly please ask you PM me for further details for which i will be glad to assist,

Richard

Edited by Magic Knight

I sure hope this isn't the same guy who had issues with the Anniversary carts. :roll:

I already have plenty of systems and respective mods to keep me content. Regardless, congrats to whomever the troublemaker is as they just created another sale for you.

Magic Knight, from the ebay auctions I'm seeing:

post-18-0-33920500-1426548243_thumb.png

$24.34 for the mod and another $8.90 (6 GBP to US $) for shipping...So a total of roughly $25+9 = $34. Minus paypal fees, but add for your aggrivation...

So, I'll send you $35 via PayPal.

Shoot me a PM with your PayPal address, you just earned another sale...Thanks to the individual with "issues", regardless of personal or with what you are, or/and how you were providing (it).

Thank you for supporting the 7800 community!

• Like 3

From what i understand the quality of any product of this kind - Ensuring that the raw source of graphics from the graphics chip is kept as intact as possible and de-grading avoided and conditioned to suit the display being used. My own does this method and the results are fairly clear.

The others ive seen recently and from before have similar results from screen shots ive seen. I dont think theres been any degrading on signals on the other either (and have their own unique ways to preocess the signal) , so the level of standard for the 7800 user appears to be a consistant high standard for all to enjoy!

Its a pity atari didnt build in a decent output for either S-video or Composite at least, as they missed a trick - especially where Nintendo's NES has the best built in Composite ive seen on any 8-bit machine. Users familiar with the atari 8-bit computers will know how Atari mucked-up on the XL/XE range on composite/s-video to the monitor/rca ports and only on the earlier(!) 800 did they get this right.

The others ive seen recently and from before have similar results from screen shots ive seen. I dont think theres been any degrading on signals on the other either (and have their own unique ways to preocess the signal) , so the level of standard for the 7800 user appears to be a consistant high standard for all to enjoy!

Yeah. I had a hell of a time with mine. In my case, the board also had a short i it I had to try to fix. Gave me fits as my solder-foo is not so great.

• 3 weeks later...

Got my package yesterday and finally installed it. Worked right off the bat, and looks great. Pics soon once I mount everything. :) Thanks for the kit!

Thanks for the positive feedback and glad it got installed without issue. Happy gaming!

Hi All

Following quite a bit of interest about this S-Video board being used on modern LCD tvs etc with HDMI, i ran some tests to see how to go about this.

I acquired a inexpensive HDMI upscaler for around 20 bucks and as a result it shows some fairly impressive results at 1080 resolution.

I used this:

post-34640-0-19637400-1429358454_thumb.jpgpost-34640-0-07632600-1429358456_thumb.jpgpost-34640-0-80943000-1429358457_thumb.jpg

and obtained this:

post-34640-0-76696600-1429358487_thumb.jpgpost-34640-0-84317300-1429358493_thumb.jpg

I was expecting some issues with upscaling, however the source signal from the board is unterred by filtering, and was surprised how much it blows the socks off composite. SO much so, i may have to hustle to get use of my main tv to play this when the missus is in....

As this is likley a PAL upscaler, similar low cost ones will be avialable for NTSC also, as they can retail down very cheap if you shop around.

Hope this helps anyone looking for a safe way to get high def from the Atari and i still have some Boards still avialable if anyones interested!

Edited by Magic Knight