IGNORED

Sword of Surtr [COMPLETE](formerly Sword of Iffrit)

ultima

8-27-18 Rev 2 Last Build

NTSC
The Sword Of SURTR.bin

Loki the god of mischief has stolen the sword of the fire giant Surtr

and hidden it away!! Take control of Haldor and find the lost blade then
seek a way into Valhalla to bring it to Odin himself...
Will you journey through the ice caverns of the Dwarves? Or seek out the
Mysterious Old Man up in the mountains? Or command your Dragon ship through
a deadly Maelstrom in search of unsung treasures? The choice is yours!!
Press the fire button to begin a new game and use your weapon. Simply walk
over items to pick them up, most have a visible effect on the player. Search
the world carefully, secret entrances long hidden may contain wondrous
treasures or deadly creatures.

A viking action/adventure for the Atari VCS and Flashback Portable.

Seek the Sword of Surtr and bring it to Valhalla. Beware of Vikings,

wolves, ravens and traps. Seek powerful artifacts to aid you in your quest.

Use with Joystick controller.
Console switches used:
-Reset starts new game from Titlescreen
-Left Difficulty
A-Player has only 1 life
B-Player has infinite continues and retains inventory items.
post-36052-0-16696700-1534548072_thumb.png
post-36052-0-90596400-1534547305.png
post-36052-0-23456800-1534540814_thumb.png
post-36052-0-94305200-1527613703.jpgpost-36052-0-64548200-1527613770.jpg

Edited by ultima
  • Like 21

I like this game. I collected all the pieces and almost made it back to the ol' A-frame, but got hit by a giant spider (I called it a spider!?)! I've played it few times now. I like the Zelda-like screens and the search and find aspects of the game. Good stuff!

• Like 1

I like this game. I collected all the pieces and almost made it back to the ol' A-frame, but got hit by a giant spider (I called it a spider!?)! I've played it few times now. I like the Zelda-like screens and the search and find aspects of the game. Good stuff!

Thanks Papa in fact it is a giant spider! The other enemy is only known as "the thing from the forest"

If you want to get rid of the sticky walls, this might help:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#sprite_collision_example

Wow that code is rather math heavy for collision I'll see if i can break it down into caveman code lol

** got this working thanks you can rub all over the walls now!! unfortunately a side effect was the size went -84 bytes of code left so I ripped out some screens and it worked great

Edited by ultima

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update**

Latest version is in 1st post

added back screens removed from the first version

added another weapon option in the difficulty switches

fixed a few small bugs like the death screech ;)

and rearranged the code layout

oh and after re-reading the viking myths I renamed the game to fit closer to a real viking theme

in the next update I'll be working on random placement of objects and enemies

Edited by ultima
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

hmm not sure if anyone on here could help but i've found a nasty bug in the game that I can't figure out. if you beat the game around 4 times in a row the players lifebar changes color then on beating the next game the lifebar starts cycling colors as the player moves eventually crashing the game after reaching the winning condition. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here's the source (sorry the comments are not up to par)

Edited by ultima

The problem you had was caused by ending the game using a gosub instead of a goto.

I started adding comments, but once I added enough to help me figure out some things, I stopped.

I got rid of all of the gosubs except the one that knocks the enemy back.

I moved the rooms to bank 3, then split the main loop between bank 1 and bank 2 to give you more room for code.

I changed the flashing of the score and objects. See if you like it or hate it.

I fixed it so if you move between the room with the big red thing and the room with the spider-looking thing, their shapes won't be contaminated with the shape of the other enemy.

I fixed it so there is a 2 second freeze when the game is over, then the player can press reset or the fire button to start the game.

haldors_saga_2015y_05m_06d_0301t.bin

haldors_saga_2015y_05m_06d_0301t.bas

• Like 1

Thanks I had no idea that happened. So maybe trying to return from the gosub if figured it couldn't so it crashed?

I find having weapon options on a difficulty switch makes me want to do both in the same game.

If you were still using the gosubs, "if pfscore1 = %00000000 then room = 17 : pop : goto draw_room_shape_17 bank2" would have also fixed it.

I have a habit of adding new program sections as subs, first as a small solo example code then adding it to the main program as a sub. Is it better to remove the gosub call then add the subprogram inside the main loop once they work properly?

Unless a significantly large section of code is going to be used by multiple places in the program, I try to avoid gosubs from the start since gosubs in a bankswitched game use up too many cycles:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#cycle_count_gosub

It's also too easy to create a tangled web of gosubs that can be hard to untangle later on, so trying to avoid the web from the beginning can make things easier.

I didn't know that a mainloop could be stretched that far! Thanks

Yeah, the main loop for Seaweed Assault is stretched across 5 banks, if I remember correctly. As long as the data you need for a certain section of code is kept in the same bank with it, you are free to spread your main loop out over multiple banks (if you have free banks to use).

Love it I had no idea that colors could use dim _Color = u.v

Yeah, that's a quick and easy way to slow down the speed of the color change.

I wasn't aware of this, thanks for pointing that out and I'll have a look at how you fixed it for future reference.

All I did was reset your enemy timer when the player moves to a new room. Since the image for the enemy only changes at certain times, there could be a fraction of a second when the wrong enemy is displayed. Resetting the timer seemed to fix it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...