IGNORED

Sword of Surtr [COMPLETE](formerly Sword of Iffrit)

ultima

I'd like to suggest the movement speed for diagonal movement be decreased so it's the same as moving along a single axis.

Thanks for the input ZackAttack. I tried coding your suggestion as a stand alone program.

But even with this I'm uncertain how to incorporate the new movement into the existing engine. I'll play around with RT's

collision prevention and see if I can add the diagonal checks without breaking it

Edited by ultima

This example program has been updated:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#ex_fixed_point_sprite

I had a hard time getting collision prevention to work when moving at higher speeds (when the fire button is held down), but I finally got it working. When using that program with Stella, be sure to use the Ctrl key instead of the space bar for the fire button since the space bar can stop you from moving diagonally with the arrow keys.

• Like 1

This example program has been updated:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#ex_fixed_point_sprite

I had a hard time getting collision prevention to work when moving at higher speeds (when the fire button is held down), but I finally got it working. When using that program with Stella, be sure to use the Ctrl key instead of the space bar for the fire button since the space bar can stop you from moving diagonally with the arrow keys.

Probably because keyboards are evil.

If you end up having enough space, you could have the game choose a version at random, or you could let the player select between the two on the title screen or maybe they could switch between the two versions by using the right difficulty switch while playing. So the left difficulty switch would be for muting the music and the right difficulty switch would be for switching between the two versions of music.

If you have a ton of space, you could have more than two versions of music and let players choose which one they like by using the select switch while playing:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#ex_select_switch

For that type of thing, you'd want to leave out the feature that lets players hold down the reset switch and the select switch to rapidly change the selection (since they could mistakenly reset the game if they're not careful). While playing, the reset switch should only be used for restarting the game.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Cool game. I'd love a mode that didn't have random item placement. When I played, 2 of the 3 pieces were right by my house. After that, I felt like I was exploring a big empty world. The castles in particular felt like they should have had something interesting inside. If you have a mode with purposeful item placement, you can make the interesting rooms actually contain interesting things.

Just my 2 cents, don't let me change your vision if you're happy with it! :)

My early versions of the game had static item placement it wouldn'n be difficult to add it in as an alternative game, also had some plans for a two player duel game too.

I did salvage 500 bytes today eliminating overused code. I will likely redesign everything from where its at, the engine is what im happy with.

• 3 weeks later...

I worked on this a little more. Fixed one door added another that uses a different colored key. Started some work on drawing 4 directions to display character at facing direction that I might use in making holes in playfields using variations on pfline and pfhline. So it might offer door puzzles and secret doors found only by searching the playfields for weak sections.

Once that gets worked out I want to try some ideas for enemy AI and finally remixing the game with the story mode included

• Like 2

Ok, After ripping my hair out finally solved a bug (taking damage when passing through a door) also added another key, another door and added two false walls that can be shot open, also up and down directions for the character.

I think it's close to functional but for some reason the player direction timing feels off so will focus on that in next update.

• Like 1

Managed to bring in some enemy A.I.(any good advise here?), and you have to defeat the boss to get to the next room with the triangle. also added a flash of color to the enemies when you get a hit in.

Still can't track down why the player direction graphic is getting wonky. Here's the source if anyone wants a good laugh.

Edited by ultima

• 1 month later...

while pondering ultima's smooth diagonal movement code it occured to me

that a macro to load an 8.8 variable from a table might be a useful thing

so I made one.

it works

I've mutated ultima's code

edit: I realised I'd goofed the movement flags lookup table so I fixed it

also tweaked the velocities to be more accurate

also added a version without the movement flag (bit 7) and test

smooth_diagonal_movement_mod2.bas

smooth_diagonal_movement_mod2.bas.bin