IGNORED

Sword of Surtr [COMPLETE](formerly Sword of Iffrit)

ultima

Have you dramatically increased the difficulty? Birds are killing me almost instantly here lately. They are really hard to hit and once they are on you, it's death. Having a much harder time beating the game due to the birds of death.

Not at all upset about the new map layout or screens.

Got some weirdness with the health bar. Upon replenishing, it sometimes appears on the right side of the screen and then depletes in an odd fashion. (see picture)

Did you shrink the size of the world? Seems like there are fewer overall screens. I miss the drawbridge, but I understand losing it if the mechanism wasn't working properly.

Greatly enjoying the game, can't wait to see the End screen!

post-409-0-52711900-1505704613_thumb.png

Edited by StanJr

Have you dramatically increased the difficulty? Birds are killing me almost instantly here lately. They are really hard to hit and once they are on you, it's death. Having a much harder time beating the game due to the birds of death.

I changed the dragons attack and I did speed the birds up. Are you using the sword or bow?

The bow is easier but I might slow them down a tad more if it helps.

Got some weirdness with the health bar. Upon replenishing, it sometimes appears on the right side of the screen and then depletes in an odd fashion. (see picture)

The drinking horn does not refill your health only mushrooms do that now. The drinking horn fills the right meter and if you hit an enemy it does extra damage until the right meter runs out.

Did you shrink the size of the world? Seems like there are fewer overall screens. I miss the drawbridge, but I understand losing it if the mechanism wasn't working properly.

Actually the world is larger, I did remove 2 screens but added 4 and almost have the new area of Hel finished. If I have enough room there may be some special portal areas in the next build too. The drawbridge had to go because of the path layout it made more sense to not have a one way bridge there. It will be moved to another location where it is needed.
  • Like 1

you should! did you come up with a concept? i wanna seeee

So far I'm thinking of the mobile game HOME and that it will be in DPC +. The tough part will be the text while searching but if I use micro fonts it might be just enough. Also want some guns with limited ammo, lots of dark locations using haunted house style light with a few jump scares, and whatever I can whip up for disturbing situations. Lol
  • Like 1

Ok! Gave it more time today. I think the difficulty is pretty spot on, although full health restore after each boss might make things a little too easy. Maybe just have the boss drop a mushroom?

Is that cave right off the boat on the western shore going to be active in the future?

The Dragon boss is much more challenging now that he moves around the room rather than just staying on the right!

The Demon boss is still WAY too easy as long as you get in the room with him and stay in the upper left corner (see pic). Since he holds the sword, I would expect a real challenge from him. As it stands he's the easiest of the bosses.

The birds are a menace, but that just maintains an eternal truth about video games: the birds/bats are always the most annoying threat in the game. No worries.

I like the additional ending FMV!

I totally get and appreciate the power of the horn. I try to save it for the birds!

I beat the entire game with the bow. Is there a way to incentivize the use of the sword or is it just for personal preference and a means of choosing a difficulty level?

I am loving this game and the theme! Keep up the great work!

post-409-0-17872300-1505772522_thumb.png

So far I'm thinking of the mobile game HOME and that it will be in DPC +. The tough part will be the text while searching but if I use micro fonts it might be just enough. Also want some guns with limited ammo, lots of dark locations using haunted house style light with a few jump scares, and whatever I can whip up for disturbing situations. Lol

I have an idea for you actually. I been tossing around the idea myself, I been thinkin about doing of an rpg type game after i'm done with trash. But I like sharing ideas.

I was wondering "how the heck will you get text for speech" such as talking to a towns folk for info and missions.

My idea was, use the score bar numbers! I'll briefly explain lol

Say you walked up to a dude standing around or an item, when you collide with him or it, the score bar will change to a number. Let say when you go to him the score bar will say 000080

Now the thing is, the game would come with a book of text and convos. Those text are labeled with a number in the book. So then you would look to see what the number 80 meant, or what someone is saying. Then continue your adventure.

SO ANYWAYS, my point is, say you are searching in a game, a number can still pop up on the score bar, then the player has to refer to their book of convos and details. lollll random idea, but I like it for a slow paced game.

• 4 weeks later...

I have an idea for you actually. I been tossing around the idea myself, I been thinkin about doing of an rpg type game after i'm done with trash. But I like sharing ideas.

I was wondering "how the heck will you get text for speech" such as talking to a towns folk for info and missions.

My idea was, use the score bar numbers! I'll briefly explain lol

Say you walked up to a dude standing around or an item, when you collide with him or it, the score bar will change to a number. Let say when you go to him the score bar will say 000080

Now the thing is, the game would come with a book of text and convos. Those text are labeled with a number in the book. So then you would look to see what the number 80 meant, or what someone is saying. Then continue your adventure.

SO ANYWAYS, my point is, say you are searching in a game, a number can still pop up on the score bar, then the player has to refer to their book of convos and details. lollll random idea, but I like it for a slow paced game.

What you could do is use the calculator font and use only words from this list. And tell the player to stand on their head to read, of course. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've enjoyed many a playthrough of an older version of the game. I'll have to give this latest version some time, but the changes to the playfield don't look as good in my opinion. Maybe if the height of the playfield blocks were much smaller... but as they are, the attempt to give them a 3 dimensional look just doesn't look right. It looks like messy fences everywhere.

Anyway, I'm glad you're still working on this. It's been quite a bit of fun since early on. :)

• Like 1

I played it and completed it last night. It's really well made IntyBASIC game. I really do like that you took advantage of the PF blocks and the color to make it a more 3D look. I do had to look around to see where to go next when I got a quest item. I always do that in game if I completed a objective. And also good ending cut scene too.

• Like 1

It looks good. Going with a higher resolution playfield via superchip RAM would probably improve it, but I think that it also works as is.

My hopes that the whirlpool would whisk me away to a far away land were sadly dashed. :)

After playing a few times, I seem to be stuck, and can't figure out where I can go next. I'll have to play more carefully and see what I must be missing.

• Like 1

I love the new bolder graphics and colors! I LOVE what is going on in the crypt and the new boss is crazy looking. I love it! Everything just keeps getting better and better!

You may want to reconsider having the health mushrooms respawn in the rooms. This makes it a little to easy to totally refill your health at any given time.

Does the priest do anything? I went in with full health (see above) so maybe I missed his effect.

Is the extra axe-knight in the cave supposed to give you anything or is he just for fighting?

Nice to see the elf again!

Thank you for letting us be a part of this process. The game is great and it's a lot of fun watching it come along. I had the earlier versions memorized so it's kind of like a new game each time you update and change stuff around!

:spidey:

• Like 1

I've enjoyed many a playthrough of an older version of the game. I'll have to give this latest version some time, but the changes to the playfield don't look as good in my opinion. Maybe if the height of the playfield blocks were much smaller... but as they are, the attempt to give them a 3 dimensional look just doesn't look right. It looks like messy fences everywhere.

Anyway, I'm glad you're still working on this. It's been quite a bit of fun since early on. :)

To be fair I only used the isometric view on a few of what I felt were messy areas and not the whole game. Yeah this game has been a weekend work forever hasn't it? lol

I played it and completed it last night. It's really well made IntyBASIC game. I really do like that you took advantage of the PF blocks and the color to make it a more 3D look. I do had to look around to see where to go next when I got a quest item. I always do that in game if I completed a objective. And also good ending cut scene too.

Thanks for playing. :)

Congratulations for the realization of your game.

I like the addition of music at the beginning

The hero has trouble passing the little doors when he wears his bow.

Sometimes the tv screen jumps.

Thanks! I do need to optimize the code again if the screen is jumping. Glad you enjoyed the music

It looks good. Going with a higher resolution playfield via superchip RAM would probably improve it, but I think that it also works as is.

My hopes that the whirlpool would whisk me away to a far away land were sadly dashed. :)

After playing a few times, I seem to be stuck, and can't figure out where I can go next. I'll have to play more carefully and see what I must be missing.

I programmed a superchip version with the resolution at 22 lines but couldn't fit all the screens, maybe on the next RPG. The whirlpool isn't going to Ambrosia lol (but don't think I wasn't trying to work that in)

I love the new bolder graphics and colors! I LOVE what is going on in the crypt and the new boss is crazy looking. I love it! Everything just keeps getting better and better!

You may want to reconsider having the health mushrooms respawn in the rooms. This makes it a little to easy to totally refill your health at any given time.

Does the priest do anything? I went in with full health (see above) so maybe I missed his effect.

Is the extra axe-knight in the cave supposed to give you anything or is he just for fighting?

Nice to see the elf again!

Thank you for letting us be a part of this process. The game is great and it's a lot of fun watching it come along. I had the earlier versions memorized so it's kind of like a new game each time you update and change stuff around!

:spidey:

I can maybe fix that with the mushrooms. The priest restores all health so yeah if you had full health then you wouldn't notice anything. And the axe-knight just has drop items after the initial battle.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just downloaded the latest portable version from October, and my first impression is that this is the best looking and playing RPG/Adventure game on the unit. This game is very well done, and I am glad that you are still developing it. It is awesome to still have not only great new games releasing for the Atari 2600, but new hardware to play them on as well.

Edited by TheCravenBarley
  • Like 1

Thank You TheCravenBarley and welcome to Atariage! Sorry I haven't updated in a while.

Anywho here's an attempt to:

-flesh out the 3D to not look like fences

-expand the openings of doors and caves

-a more open world from the start

Edited by ultima
  • Like 3

I just picked up the newer flashback portable and found it still runs the same as last year's model. I also noticed some flickering demos I've worked on look terrible and the system boots slower than the old one. So much for @games fixing the emulator (on the bright side lots of Activision games)

I have no new demo ready just working on optimization of what's here it may be awhile before it's ready. I freed up 1 variable and 6 bits already and suspect I may be able to rewrite large portions of code to work better.

Edited by ultima