IGNORED

Fake Submarine Comm Proto? (2600)

JustJeff2

Hi all, I'm the seller of the Submarine Commander prototype and would like to clear the air anyway I can. Justjeff2 contacted me thru Ebay and I'll relate what I said to him..

Hi and thanks for contacting me about the game. I've been collecting 2600 games since the mid 90's and have an impressive collection. Anyway, that probably means nothing concerning this game, but I just wanted to give a little background. I purchased this game in the mid 90's from Best Electronics (or was it Best electrics..the exact name is escaping me, but they are pretty famous in the Atari collecting circles) with a number of other games/prototypes including Dukes of Hazzard and Quadrun. I am a member on the Atari Age forums and noticed your post over there as well. I'll do whatever you need to ease your mind, and others as well, concerning the legitimacy of the game. That being said, it was sold to me as a prototype, so I'm selling it that way. If there is some info I'm not aware of concerning Best Electronics selling fakes, I would love to know and by all means, I will alter my auction. Thanks again for contacting me!

Scott

So any questions...more pics...whatever we need to figure this out, I'll help out anyway I can...

If you bought a Quadrun proto as well, it also is a fake, in fact the "Loaner" that Best sold back then, actually has a production board with mask ROM in it. The Duke's is also a production board and not a prototype. ;)

Thanks for the info guys, I adjusted the auction accordingly. Just to let everyone know, I have a Fireworld proto up as well...this one was not purchased at Best. It is much heavier than a normal cart...indicating an Eprom I believe? Thanks again!

It was already completed just unreleased. As in the boards where made with the weirdo glob top style roms,ect and then just not assembled. As for the why, I have no clue.

Yeah except the game wasn't completed. Sure it's playable, but it's definitely missing stuff that needs to be there (not to mention you can't get past the 4th or 5th level without cheating).

That is not a bad guess, although Tempest could be completely wrong about what the state of the game is too, he is getting old. He may not even remember which version of the game he reviewed. :P

Damn that was a low blow, even for you !

Yes, Matt is getting old, as all of us true fans who grew up during that era are.

And yes, he does forget things and confuse things.

I remember a while back telling him about how his article on 2600 Polaris was incorrect in its identification of which version had the Taito copyright text credits.

And heck, almost every article is full of sentence fragments, missing words, etc.

But geez, he play tests these roms for countless hours and writes hundreds of articles and deserves some slack & never gets enough credit.

Now I don't know if Dukes is or is not "complete" or if the final build has "fatal bugs" like 7800 Impossible Mission & ColecoVision Victory.

Personally, I never liked the game & hardly ever play it. I wouldn't have the patience to even try to get to level 4 or 5.

But I can tell you that I have seen (and own!) protos containing PRODUCTION MASK ROMS of unreleased Atari 2600 games.

That is not a bad guess, although Tempest could be completely wrong about what the state of the game is too, he is getting old. He may not even remember which version of the game he reviewed. :P

You think so? I thought I read that the game has a level array that could hold 255 values, but the game resets after level 20. Not that you can play that far without using the drive through walls cheat.

You think so? I thought I read that the game has a level array that could hold 255 values, but the game resets after level 20. Not that you can play that far without using the drive through walls cheat.

Hehe, yes I was joking about the ROM you tested, or did you actually play the mask ROM PCB? :D

And there goes that age thing again, it would be 256, but either way the level "counter" most likely occupied a byte, so the upper limit would be 256, if you count 0 as 1. :P

I thought 256 always looped around and was 0? Unless the reason it resets is that there are no levels defined after 20 and it goes to the end of the array and loops around to slot 0 which is the title screen. Just a theory anyway.

2600 Connection has a good bit of info on this: http://www.2600connection.com/eastereggs/26dukesofhazzard.html

Personally, I consider Atari's unreleased Dukes of Hazard to be no different than Amiga's unreleased Off Your Rocker.

As in...UNRELEASED.
As in...PERIOD.

But not everyone agrees with that of course.

Except Off Your Rocker was a completely finished game that was sent to the manufacturer and not released because Amiga didn't have the money to pay them for the roms (or chose not to). Dukes of Hazzard was never completed and somehow (possibly accidentally) sent to the manufacturer and never released because Atari knew it wasn't complete. Two different things.

Except Off Your Rocker was a completely finished game that was sent to the manufacturer and not released because Amiga didn't have the money to pay them for the roms (or chose not to). Dukes of Hazzard was never completed and somehow (possibly accidentally) sent to the manufacturer and never released because Atari knew it wasn't complete. Two different things.

But your making my point here.

I never compared the two games on the basis of them both being "finished". I compared them as both being "unreleased".

You yourself stated above when discussing both games that they were both unreleased. Which was the point I made. You confirmed it in your statements.

Your words: "...Off Your Rocker...not released..." & "...Dukes of Hazzard...never released..."

Granted, each game unreleased for 2 different reasons, but nevertheless, unreleased just the same.

But your making my point here.

I never compared the two games on the basis of them both being "finished". I compared them as both being "unreleased".

You yourself stated above when discussing both games that they were both unreleased. Which was the point I made. You confirmed it in your statements.

Your words: "...Off Your Rocker...not released..." & "...Dukes of Hazzard...never released..."

Granted, each game unreleased for 2 different reasons, but nevertheless, unreleased just the same.

You must forgive me. It's hard to follow these conversations when you're as senile as I am. You young people talk to fast.

• Like 1