IGNORED

Unhappy Disk Drive

blacka013

Hi All,

hope someone can help. I have a 1050 drive fitted with a Happy board. After about 10 - 15 minutes the drive will start to spin for a few seconds and then stop. This continues until the drive is powered down. The drive needs to be left for about 30 minutes before it can be used again.

I suspect this is a heat related fault, so does anyone have any ideas what is causing the fault?

Thanks in anticipation.

Andy

• Like 1

Check the power diodes on the board. If they are hot (careful - they can be very hot), try replacing the big filter capacitors. If the diodes are not too hot (wet your finger and touch one - got sizzle?), try replacing the big filter capacitors.

Get some 'circuit cooler' and spray it on the ICs while it is failing - not too much and not all over the place. If the bad part cools down, the drive works again, right?

Bob

If the diodes run hot, also replace them by stronger models. I had a problem with them on my 1050 quite some years ago, and the diodes of the voltage-doubler circuit are really under-dimensioned. The board underneath was already changing its color to brown when the drive stopped working. After replacing them, the drive worked fine again.

Okay, I have checked all the areas advised on and I can't find a problem. All diodes are slightly warm after about half an hour. Checked everything against another drive I have which is working, and that is warmer than the faulty drive.

Any thing else I should be checking?

Many thanks

Andy