IGNORED

A Commodore subforum on the horizon?

If I understand correctly, the differerence is that Apple ][, TI-99/4, Colecovision and Intellivision have nearly no other online forums or community resources. The Apple have a little, technical/hardware oriented but not much for gaming or even programming.

The Commodore series - ranging from the first PET to the last Amiga - however have plenty of active forums. There may be one or two of those who have a lesser following than others, but generally I don't see any benefit for AtariAge to add Commodore subforums than pure convenience for the AA users who like to discuss Commodore matters every now and then. I don't doubt there is enough talent and knowledge over here to have the forums going, but you will probably need to add something special to get even more Commodore users from other forums and mailing lists to participate here as well, if that is an ambition.

On the other hand, I don't know how many of the world's remaining Apple, TI, Colecovision or Intellivision enthusiasts frequent these forums - read as if there are significant amounts of enthusiasts on those systems who remain elsewhere or don't go online at all. For that matter, I don't know if the vast majority of all Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, 8-bit, ST, Jaguar etc users come to AtariAge as the primary source, but I would suppose most do.

Of course the Sega Genesis subforum is a bit of an anomaly, as I know there are other forums specific for the Genesis/Mega Drive, but perhaps the jargon and style used on those forums scare away some people who rather frequent this, nicer forum. On the Nintendo front, I understand there are other forums so no need for AtariAge itself to promote Nintendo systems.

Oh well, that is my three cents of opinions.

• Like 1

@carlsson: OTOH, having a Commodore forum here might attract good talent and help build up a better user base. Obviously Albert has already given it thought, and if having one was on his mind already, it will not be like we are putting him out. I say give it a whirl.

Though I'm primarily interested in Atari, I owned both an Atari 800 and an Amiga 1000 "back in the day" and would welcome a Commodore discussion forum here on Atari Age.

I think a sub-forum devoted to Commodore might attract the subset of Commodore users who also had their feet in the Atari world, and so could lead to some interesting discussions that you may not find on a pure Commodore forum. For instance, talks about how to emulate techniques that are supported well on the C64 but not on the A8, and vice-versa.

I agree there's a question about how finely you want to dice it - there could be just one "Commodore" forum, or one for 8-bits and one for Amiga. I'd be fine with either arrangement, because I'd be interested in both C-64 and Amiga discussions.

Edited by FifthPlayer
  • Like 1

IMO we should be careful not to cannibalize other forums. Else it may happen that the other forums react and open Atari related forum themselves. And the C64 community is really strong. What makes AA so great is, that almost all activity regarding Atari is centered here. And I really like it that way. So too much competition with other forums may put a risk on it.

BTW: Maybe there is a way that forums can collaborate? E.g. embed forums/subforums from other sites into AA and vice versa?

• Like 1

I'm primarily interested in Commodore 8-bit and Amiga - those are the computers I used growing up. I come to this forum to browse a bit and read mostly about the Coleco Adam because that system does have a place in my heart, even though I only had one briefly.

Although I do frequent many other Commodore and Amiga forums, I have to say I like the vibe around here more than many other forums. I'd definitely be interested in reading and contributing (when I can) to Commodore and Amiga forums on here.

However, I do think 8-bit should be separate from Amiga - they are really entirely different and I see no reason to combine them other than to reduce the # of forums and perhaps make the forum appear to be more active.

• Like 1

I'm mostly a Commodore user who dabbles with the Atari 8-bit. I'd love to have a Commodore 64 or Commodore sub-forum here. The whole look of this website just sits well with me and I'd enjoy having more of the platforms I use in one location.

IMO the interest level would warrant seperate C64 and Amiga forums, the rest could be bundled into a third. Let the PET owners mingle with Plus/4, Vic-20 and IBM clones.

Look at Atari - the Portfolio doesn't have it's own section so why should bit-players from other companies?

• Like 1

About a Commodore forum cannibalizing other forums: I'm an Atarian that doesn't follow any of the Commodore-only sites, yet I'm interested enough in Commodore that I would follow discussions about those machines here on Atari Age. If there are others who feel the same way, I could see the AA Commodore forum(s) expanding the Commodore community rather than cannibalizing it.

Edited by FifthPlayer
  • Like 1