IGNORED

Wanted: Menu System for BASIC Games

ballyalley

Hi, I want to create a disk that has a number of different BASIC games on it (and maybe ML programs too). Can anyone point me to simple disk menu for the 1050 (SD or DD) that will allow me to do this? I seem to remember one that was printed in the ANALOG magazine that took up only 1 block and would do exactly what I describe.

Thanks.

Errm,

DOS 3 counts in blocks, DOS 2.x types count in sectors. So for what DOS type are you searching a menu program ?

Well, let`s assume you are searching a menu program for DOS 2...

1) Gamedos: You can use the gamedos MyPicoDOS to load both ML files and basic files, but as always with gamedos versions, the programs then have to be single-stage and must not require any DOS functions.

2) DOS: a) You may choose a ML-menu program and simply name it Autorun.SYS (or the equivalent for your DOS, e.g. *.AR0 under SmartDOS or MyDOS 4.54) - a lot of ML DOS menus can run COM and BAS files fine.

b) You can also use a menu written in Basic, just create a 1 or 2 sector Autorun.SYS on the DOS disk that runs this Basic menu...

Attached are some DOS 2.x ML menus and the MyPicoDOS initializer:

- MyInit.COM: the MyPicoDOs initializer, binary load it from your DOS 2.x, then insert a new disk and create the gamedos MyPicoDOS 4.05b on it. Copy all your game files on this MyPicoDOs disk (no need to lock any files). MyPicoDOs will load BAs and COM files, it will also switch Basic automatically on or off for you (on XL/XE machines)...

- Hagemann.COM: a type in listing from a german magazine (named Computer Kontakt), the menu was written by N.Hagemann, just rename it to Autorun.SYS under DOS 2.0 or DOS 2.5. It will load BAS and COM files, use the joystick or keyboard to select and load files...

- Lockmenu: source/author unknown (found on a PD disk), a menu for DOS 2.0 and DOS 2.5 which will load BAs and COM files, rename to Autorun.SYS and simply lock all files that should show up in the menu;

- Belmenu: originally written by ??? (name escapes me now), almost always used on the Bellcom PD library disks and therefore I named it Belmenu, haha. Rename to Autorun.SYS to load BAS, COM and DOC (text-) files and use Start/Select/Option or joystick to operate...

- XLEmenu: the menu which I used 1999-2001 for my XLE-magazine, programmed by H.Bornhorst for me. It can load BAS and COM files, it can display *.TXT and *.DOC (max. 37 chars per line) files, as well as *.Gr8, *.Gr9, *.G15 and *.256 (Gr. 9+11) 62-sector type graphic files. It will automat. switch Basic on or off, but it uses page 5 ($0500-05FF) to load a file, thus any file that also uses page 5 will not work (and it looks like it uses some direct XL-OS jumps, thus it does not work with other OS versions, nor with any speeders or DOS versions with built-in speeders)...

dosmenus.zip

Hias's MyPicoDOS / MyDOS is my preferred menu system for my 1050. Works will most file types doesn't need option held when booting

Though I do really like MyPicoDOS it doesn't support BASIC files that load other parts so...

For BASIC the two I like are

Atari User's File Menu II : you can grab it on one of my disks on http://www.freewebs.com/gwobby/morekendallsoftklassics.htm sometimes leaves PMG things in ram that stops the odd game working without a GR.0 / clr. You can change the Poke 580,1/0 re reset rebooting. Also supports binary files and will prompt to turn off basic

& This one here hsc7-bonus-round-april-2010 is simple and small and you can now press reset to return to it (thanks again Rybags)

:)

let`s assume you are searching a menu program for DOS 2... [here are some menu systems:]

Yes, I'm referring to DOS 2.0s.

GameDOS sounds simple and like what I need. I'll first be running a simple AtariBASIC game from The Antic Magazine "Best of" book, so GameDOS sounds great.

MyPicoDOS sounds like it will fit the bill too. I do use MyDOS 4.5 on occasion, and this sounds like it would be useful for future adventures with my Atari.

I received a disk catalog in the early-to-mid 90s from a PD house in the U.S. called Lake Almanor Public Domain (L.A.P.D.). It was run by a Stefanee Hoffee. These were my first months with my Atari 8-bit, and I was super-impressed by the L.A.P.D. menu (including a personal, rather long, letter to me, a brand-new Atari user!).

I reviewed some PD games in my newsletter in 1994, and I mention L.A.P.D.:

http://www.orphanedgames.com/ocgs/Vol_I_Issue_2/ocgs_vol_I_issue_2_%28August_1994%29%28Atari_Public_Domain%29.html

Does anyone remember L.A.P.D.? Does anyone know what menu it used?

Thanks for the menu compilation and information that you've put together!

This one here hsc7-bonus-round-april-2010 is simple and small and you can now press reset to return to it

Thanks for the tips. It's because of you, BountyBob, that I'm even looking into a menu system. I want to load the current bonus High Score Club game "Tin Pan Alley Cats" using my AtariMax. I figure that making a load a disk image should work fine. If not, then there is always emulation... or I can just dig out my serial APE interface and load the game via DOS 2.0s.

I actually played the April 2010 bound round disk in the past (but didn't compete). I'll check it out again.

There are SO many DOS menu choices!

Hello,

Download the disk from pokeysoft link http://pokeysoft.no/games/files/pokeysoft/Utility%20U070a.zip , there are many on it but use the speed - start initializer van E.Reuss from bibisoft.

You can load basic files (withou option key pressed when start) only there is no dos withit, first format than you can copy with dos the basic programs on it and don't forget protect the files thats only way that speed - start initializer can see the files enter the name etc...

And i have SSI color editor 1 thats from steve zipp (SSI stands for speed start initializer) you can change color, there is or was a 2nd version with multicolors but i don't have it and steve zipp allso to, maybe someone here on atari age has the second one i hope or it is lost.

Use menu option e for speed start initializer and j for the color editor.

Greetings,

Marco

Hias's MyPicoDOS / MyDOS is my preferred menu system for my 1050.

Thanks for the suggestion of MyPicoDOS. It suits all current needs, and is better than the original menu program that I used back in the 90s. MyPicoDOS was easy to setup and is very flexable. I like that it works with MyDOS, as that's the alternate Atari DOS that I use sometimes when DOS 2 simply does not cut it. I do plan on checking on some of these other suggestions, as they seem like they'll be useful.

I used the simple (and fast) Game DOS to setup a disk with one BASIC game called "Tin Pan Alley Cats." It's currently the bonus game being played in the 8-Bit High Score Club.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/236246-hsc12-round-4-alley-cat/page-3?do=findComment&comment=3205700