IGNORED

HDX, HxC, nanoPEB

Opry99er

Question for you all.

I currently have a nice HDX-modded RS232 card and cable (have not hooked it up to PC yet, space issues) and I have a Gen1 CF7 that isn't working currently (multiple moves, something banged something and something isn't functioning properly)...

I have been watching some of the HxC threads on here and they are very intriguing!

Having been out of the loop for awhile, I'm unsure which direction I want to go once I get my rig up and running again. HDX seems like the logical choice, as I already have one... I would like to replace my CF7 with a nano-PEB at some point for transfers and for portability...

But in all, what would you guys say are the best elements of each of these configurations? Any reason using the HxC is any more useful than using a TI next to a PC? Obviously if I had ONLY a TI on my desk, the HxC would be ideal.

Thoughts?

it all depends on what you like. If you don't mind loading up the various images on the HxC device and have an easy way to keep track of them great. Or like me, i prefer the feel and process of working with the legacy hardware.

I have to admin the HxC is very appealing, especially with the amount of images you can store, of course the HDX modded RS232 gives you mass storage on the PC accessible via a cable and still gives you the feel of using Legacy hardware since it really still is Legacy but modded.

Hi Owen,

I use both the HDX and the HxC, but I have to admit I use the HDX a lot less now that I have the Lotharek unit hooked up.

Some of the advantages of using an HDX:

1) Very fast loading of programs

2) Sharing files between Classic99 and the TI

3) The ability to PRINT to your PC's printer

4) Super easy way to make DSK files FROM the TI

Some of the disadvantages of using an HDX:

1) The PC has to be on

2) Not all programs will recognize the HDX as a legitimate device (i.e. Telco)

Some advantages of the HxC:

1) 100% Compatibility with ALL existing software

2) Super easy to transfer program or disk to the TI

3) No need to mess with diskettes anymore

4) Will act as TWO drives if you want to set it up that way.

The disadvantage of using the HxC:

1) If the SD card gets corrupted, you can lose your data.

This happened to me 1/2 hour ago after working flawlessly for months.

So don't get lazy like I did with my active disk images. I lost a ton of stuff tonight. I'm at least happy that I still have copies off all my major program images on the PC, but my programming disk and specialty configurations are toast.

I have writeups on both the HxC << HERE >> and the HDX << HERE >>

If I had to choose between the two, I would go with the HxC as it's the easiest to install use and maintain. And with the current exchange rate vs the Euro, now is the perfect time to buy.

• Like 2

Copy that. Thanks fellas. The HDX is going to be hooked up to the PC, regardless...

I am CONSIDERING adding the HxC because I want to be able to test my RPG on real hardware, easily and with the ability to update my files without relying on floppies (for test purposes).

Beryl will require two disk drives and currently I have only one working drive, a 3.5" I got from Marc Hull back in the day. (thanks again, Marc!!) My 5.25 shat itself out in Denver.

The only way to test on iron is with a second disk drive, so I either buy another 5.25 to mount in the PBox or go with the HxC.

Id like to have one working 5.25" drive so I can make disks for distribution.

The HDX is going to be hooked up to the PC, regardless...

The HxC & HDX working together is too wonderful to put into words. Since I'm going to be in full recovery mode for much of my lost data, the two working together will make that job much easier. This time I'll also use DSK2PC on a regular basis to make DSK image backups of current projects. I'll also buy an new SD card.

Good stuff... My system needs a home on a big desk. :)

How does HDX work for transferring non-XB files... Like data files and such? For my RPG, I have a series of data support files that I will need to transfer over to diskette. I know in XB, I can "OLD RS233" and then SAVE "DSK1.xxx", but what about non-XB files?

Im sure i knew all this at some point, bug Ive been out of the loop a while.