IGNORED

Games that you just refuse to pay "market value" for

Hey everyone,

I keep getting outbid on eBay for Astal (for the Sega Saturn) and it occurred to me that when it comes down to it i'm just not going to pay what it's "worth". I'm not gonna do it! Attached is my list of what's currently going for more than what i'd ever pay for it. I'm sure there's a lot more games for systems that i'm not actively collecting for right now but own and haven't followed their scene lately.

What are the games that you know you'd like to own but just can't pay the ridiculous current asking price?

Genesis

-Castlevania bloodlines: ($90is- would love to have it for $50 but not paying 80-100 spot for this gem)

-Ninja Turtles Hyperstone Heist- Same

32X

-Spiderman ($300-$400- Yeah i know i'd regret this as soon as I paid for it. For $35 maybe. I don't even like superhero games.

-World Series Baseball- Would pay $10 not $110. Just way too much money for what it is

Saturn

-Panzer Dragoon Saga: My number 1!! Just not worth $400 dollars to me, plus I know i don't have the time for a 4 disc RPG these days.

-Sega Ages: Goes for stupid money these days. I only really want it for outrun and I can get the import of that for a reasonable price

-Astal: Just can't bring myself to pay more than $55 for this interesting little platformer. I doubt its $60 and higher interesting

-House of the Dead- Would love to have it, have a blast with the rest of the series on my DC. Simply not worth $150 to me.

Atari Lynx

All the late release curved telegames releases, particularly off road and desert strike among others.

Super Asteroids Missile command is inexplicably going for $100 these days. I'd pay like $40 for it.

Atari 7800

Tank Command, Mean 18,- Seem like they'd be really fun games. But there isn't a 7800 game in the world worth $400 to me

Ninja Golf- Looks cool also, but still not $80 cool

Atari 5200

Bounty Bob Strikes Back- Yeah, i'll play it on my Atarimax someday and be glad I saved myself the money

SNES

Pretty much all RPG's at this point, but mainly Earthbound and ChronoTrigger come to mind, especially since they can now be found on other platforms.

NES

Too much to list

N64

Clayfighters Sculptors Cut-A shit game that goes for like 1k. No thanks

Worms Armageddon (Goes for like $300-$400 complete) A superior version readily available for the DC for like $15 bucks. I can live with that.

International Superstar Soccer 200- ($100) I don't like soccer and I don't particularly like soccer games, i'll pass at that price.

Bomberman Hero the second attack: Rare for the sake of being rare. Best to just stick with the first one. People are asking stupid money for this.

3DO

Anything in a "longbox" that gets $100-$200 tacked on just because the long box is "oh so rare" for that particular game. Give me a break.

Sewer Shark: I want the definitive version of this game, as 3DO FMV spanks Sega CD FMV, am I willing to pay $80 for it? No.

Frankly I think you could say this about pretty much any system more than 10 or 15 years old....

I bought a Vectrex about a month ago and got a multi-cart with it. I don't know how anyone can afford to buy original carts for it. Even with the more common loose carts, sellers start bidding at $30-$30. That's with no box, manual or screen overlay. I can see people asking top dollar for the screen overlays, as those are very hard to reproduce, but $40+ for just a cart, when you can get every released game on a multicart for not much more? If you are serious about getting the original cart, you're going to want the box etc. with it as well.

It seems that way for every older system. Look at the Jaguar - I'm glad I got into that system years ago. My collection would probably cost me four or five times as much now, and a few items would simply be unaffordable.

Edited by ls650

Genesis

-Castlevania bloodlines: ($90is- would love to have it for $50 but not paying 80-100 spot for this gem)

Bloodlines is going for that much?! Dang. I got a CIB copy at a Goodwill 6 or 7 years ago for a couple bucks and didn't think anything of it. Figured it was common and maybe a crazy Sega collector would go $15-20 on it (MAYBE) since it's a Castlevania game, with a higher number precluded by the fact it's also still a Genesis game. :P Shows what I know...maybe it's a good thing I'm not selling at the moment.

I'm still a few carts away from a complete Channel F set, and from the looks of things, that's the way it's going to stay. Videocarts 19, 20, 22, and 25 are just insane right now. People trying to get in the neighborhood of $200 each (CIB)...eff that.

I'm with you on a lot of those. Of those, PDS is the one I didn't grab, because when I could have afforded it, I figured $250 was way too high and was bound to come down at some point. :_(

It's much cheaper to get a Saturn chipped and just burn the damn things. Certainly not worth it, imo.

Astal Japanese might be cheap enough still to grab.

Aside from PDS, I've given up on Rockman for Neo Geo Pocket Color and a good number of the $150+ Turbografx games. I may or may not still grab Castlevania Dracula X at it's current price, but $150 still makes me balk.

I have felt that pain :D

My personal problem was that I felt like a moron for spending more than $50 for a game when there have been only a handful of games from each decade that I've gotten $50 worth of fun out of. There is a 99% chance than any game that costs more than $50 won't be worth it to me.

These days I use more multicarts and flash carts than originals, even when I own the originals. I have no nostalgia for swapping carts, I'm just as happy loading a ROM from a flash cart like the Everdrive or VecMulti. I also use modern solutions for my classic computers, SD drives and flash carts are great for those as well.

It's much cheaper to get a Saturn chipped and just burn the damn things. Certainly not worth it, imo.

Agreed. A modded PlayStation and Saturn are worth the cost considering the mods are cheaper than many of the stupidly priced games :D

Most games, really. I try to get everything I buy for as little as possible. Case in point: I bought a frickin' copy of Metroid Fusion from Germany because the price here in the states was too high. GBA games are by and large affordable to collect, but there are a few titles that are just too costly for my tastes (Pokemon anything specifically).

I have a modest collection of PlayStation and PS 2 RPG games. There are several more titles that I would like tohave, but I am unwilling to pay more than about Cdn$30 for a single game, so it is very unlikely that my collection will be growing anytime soon.

Air Raid for 2600. Not only does it not work right on some TV, it's still an ugly hack of another game and sold very poorly, I heard because it didn't work right so very few exists. I may pay $5 for one only because of the blue cart with T-handle. Not a penny more.

Atari Lynx

All the late release curved telegames releases, particularly off road and desert strike among others.

Super Asteroids Missile command is inexplicably going for $100 these days. I'd pay like $40 for it.

When did Super Asteroid/Missile Command start going for 100? I bought an used CIB copy some years ago on eBay for something like $30. I've been watching that 2 Telegames as well but even from other sources it's still a tad high. Super Off Road doesn't play well, seems very slow at first.

I guess I should name some actual games:

32X: Spider-Man: Web of Fire is the only major title I have left to get. I'd like to complete my 32X collection, but not for $500. BTW I have an extra box/manual for World Series Baseball but I'm not letting it go for $10 :)

SNES: Mega Man X2 and X3, Kirby's Dream Land 3, and Super Mario RPG, all mainly because I can't play them on my flash cart.

Intellivision: I'd like to complete this collection too, and I've only got 10-12 games to go. But they're all pricy, and there's no way I'm paying $1500 for Spiker.

3DO: Complete copies of Lost Eden and Robinson's Requiem, maybe Lucienne's Quest too.

Genesis: Honestly I have most of what I really want, but I'm irritated at missing out on Warsong and Phantasy Star IV before prices jumped.

Jaguar: I really want to play Highlander for some reason, but spending hundreds of dollars on a Jaguar CD? And most of the best cart games are very pricy.

Master System: I'd like to have Outrun 3D to complete my 3D games set, and Smurfs Travel the World because it's one of the best platformers I've played on the system -- which is kind of tragic considering how rare it is.

If I buy a brand new game system, I'll usually buy one or two games at full price with it (new). After that, we're looking at garage sale prices of a buck or two each.

In fact, even when it comes to everything else in life, about the only things I pay market price for is gas, milk, and beer. I even got Target to give me a 10% discount on a couple of bicycles last year.

One more thing: I really consider ebay prices ABOVE "market price", as they reflect a very selective and self-sorting participation process on both sides of the transaction.

• Like 1

Nes and SNES games are so damn expensive. Most games arent even worth what they are going for on ebay. Im still kicking my self for not picking up a snes 5 years ago when this stuff was still cheap.

You wanna know why its so high? All the people that grew up in that generation are now much older now and rediscovering these games now. Id call it the "wave" affect, soon snes and nes will go down in price and ps1 and n64 prices will go skyhigh because of the same reason and so on.

Add castlevania 4 to that list too: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Super-Castlevania-IV-4-Super-Nintendo-SNES-Game-Cartridge-Cart-/151597923181?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item234bf0bb6d

Edited by mehguy

Probably most SNES rpgs... as someone else pointed out, most of what I would want has been ported to other platforms or I could just simply get for the Wii VC.

On the Saturn side of things, Dragon Force comes to mind.

For the PSone I miss having the first Lunar game, but I have the port for the PSP, so not a big deal. Eternal Blue is staying on my shelf. Not parting with that one.

I see a lot of PSone rpgs that might be of interest to me, but they are often $30 or much more, and I am just not that interested in paying that kind of money. Some of them are on the PSN... Breath of Fire IV for 96 cents this weekend.... I can live without the physical copy.

I would love to get some Mega Man games for my NES but there is no way I'm paying what those games go for. Especially when I have the MM Collections for GameCube and PS2. And can play it in emulation with save states. Not the same to me but it's a lot cheaper.

Most games, really. I try to get everything I buy for as little as possible.

Pretty much this. The prices on old games have just gotten STUPID lately. There are still games that I would like to pick up, but unless they're the cheap-o common games that fly under the radar, I'm generally not buying.

• Like 2

I'm currently buying CIB PC games from the 90's right now, DOS and early Windows stuff and I'm kinda capping myself at $15 - $20 per title which can be difficult considering some of the items I'm looking for. I got the Tie Fighter CD Collectors edition for $15 and was kinda shocked I was the only bidder but some other Lucasarts titles like Full Throttle are BIN'd a lot higher for CIB boxed original copies so not sure what I'm going to do there. Just be patient and hope I guess.

Also doesn't help with the recent nose dive of the Canadian dollar which makes ebay's US based prices that much more.

Edited by AtariLeaf