IGNORED

Just putting this out there... bring your BASIC game to Jaguar

sh3-rg

If anyone fancies dipping a toe into the fun-filled world that is Jaguar game development with raptorBASIC+, and has an existing BASIC game they've already made elsewhere and fancies seeing what they could do with it on Jaguar, I can do my best to help you set up a project: set up your assets file, your sprite declarations and so on and let you loose with the code tinkering, then you can do what a friend of mine calls "Jag It Up" in any way you see fit.

PM here on AA if you fancy it.

Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 2

What would be really helpfull is a tutorial on creating graphics for use with RB+.

I'm struggling to get my head around the process of producing sprites etc. and correctly formatting them.

My plan was to wade through the basic listings on 'World Of Spectrum' and do a few conversions, but WOS is down at the moment so thats put the kybosh on that idea :)

What would be really helpfull is a tutorial on creating graphics for use with RB+.

I'm struggling to get my head around the process of producing sprites etc. and correctly formatting them.

My plan was to wade through the basic listings on 'World Of Spectrum' and do a few conversions, but WOS is down at the moment so thats put the kybosh on that idea :)

Well I suppose that's the part I should be most suited to helping with :0)

When WoS springs back to life, pick something that takes your fancy, I'll work on getting some sprites, definitions and the assets.txt file set up for you and we can take a look at where to go from there. I think I'll be pretty much doing the same things with Gaztee at some point when he finds some free time to get stuck in. We can then use some or all of that to form an assets-creating tutorial for others to take advantage of.

Seem like a plan?

im totally interested in making a homebrew with you

Well I can't promise to work 50-50 on something, I'm far from expert with any of this, but I definitely can help get past what might be a tricky barrier in getting your first project set up to the point where the conversion from one flavour of BASIC to rB+ could or should be fairly straight forward. Feel free to PM if you want to discuss further.

Works for me.

I take all that back - portions of WOS are back up so i've just got a 'Centipede' listing which I might have a thrash through over the weekend :)

PM me a link to it if you want me to help set up some assets.

A few of us have talked in PM/chat/playstation party chat(!) about picking a simple game idea to work on and going from absolute scratch to getting the game up and running. If we do that in a thread here, it'll either help others along or be something of a resource to look back to for people looking at this in future... or maybe it'll serve as a lesson to do this kind of stuff behind closed doors :0)

There were a few gaps in expectations and a few assumptions made on our part that were difficult to see before the feedback painted a real picture, thanks to that there are a few topics to cover in some 0.x tutorials, to help people get to the point where they can get up and running.

• 2 years later...

hello

i'm a french coder and in i have made a remake in basic of "barbarian-the ultimate warrior"

since 2012 i have port the game on sega genesis and nec pcengine , and i'd like to port it on jaguar

to have a look on the remake go here :

http://barbarian.1987.free.fr/

i someone here want to help me to port the game, it would be nice !

i have soon installed rb+ on my pc and i know how to compil "nyandodge" ;) , but if someone could give me very simple example of code with rb+ will help me a lot

for example, in just a few lines, just make a "hello world", how to display a background, how to display a sprite,etc.....

thanks in advance if someone is ready to go on this adventure with me

see ya

F.L

• Like 2

Hi, There are a few resources and tutorials on rb+.

- In your rb+ install there should be a "website" folder where there is a mini website that has tutorials for absolute beginners.

- Also in your rb+ install there should be a pdf manual in the "raptor" folder that documents the raptor engine which is the graphics library rb+ uses.

- In the "docs" folder there is a quick reference manual of the special commands rb+ has, as well as a file called BCXHelp.chm which contains the manual for the version of basic rb+ is based on.

- Finally in this subforum there are a few tutorials pinned: http://atariage.com/forums/forum/161-raptor-basic/ - those also contain a lot of information.

If you want a "baby steps" guide I'd suggest reading the mini website.

Quick start for the questions you posed:

- Create a new project by going to the console and typing "build mygame new". Then navigate to the folder created "mygame" and open the .bas file. Modify the "rlocate" and "print" lines et voila - your hello world!

- Displaying a background and drawing sprites are the same thing on the Jaguar - its graphics chip (the Object Processor) just assumes everything is a sprite and draws them. So, for example, to draw a sprite in rb+ first you have to import it to rb+:

1. The easy way is to create a bmp file of 16 colours which is 32x11, for reasons that will become apparent in a bit. Save it in your project folder "assets\image1.bmp"

2. First you need to import the graphic file - open assets.txt.

3. Import the file as "BMP_PLAYER", i.e. type the following at the end of the file:

abs,BMP_PLAYER,gfx_clut,assets\image1.bmp
Read the text in assets.txt for more info. Now rb+ is "aware" that you imported something as a graphics file.

4. Then open rapinit.s, copy the template which is in comments (lines beginning with ';') and make a copy in the same file and uncomment it. This creates an "object" for the Object Processor to display. This is handled by raptor.

5. Change "sprite_maxframe" to 0.

6. Open "mygame.bas" (or however you called your project) and add the following line at the bottom of the file:

loadclut(strptr(BMP_PLAYER_clut),1,16)
7. Build your project. If everything went well you'll see your sprite on-screen!

Generally I don't have the time to take people by the hand and lead them on. But since you asked for some easy steps here you go. If this works for you I would advise you to read the minisite with the tutorial, the raptor manual and the tutorials on this forum. It's a lot of info to process but hopefully things will become clear. Also I recommend to play around with nyandodge, it has a lot of useful stuff you can learn from it!

Edited by ggn
  • Like 3

yes, it works ! my fist sprite with rb+, thanks ggn :)

now i have tried to move the sprite, but it don't works....

i put this code from "invaders" example :

loadclut(strptr(BMP_PLAYER_clut),1,16) ' display the sprite

rsetobj(1,R_sprite_x,100) ' i want to change the x_pos at position x=100

vsync ' Sync to VBLANK and Update ALL RAPTOR objects

but the sprite dont move at x_pos 100 :?

sorry if i need some help ..... after i knows the basics of rb+, i will make the game

Edited by F.L

yes, its works !

thanks a lot Sporadic

here is my first rom, i'm proud :-D :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a5wsp1bleb5kt4q/essai01.rom?dl=0

i have read the tutorial website but i dont understand all because my english is poor....

maybe i must create a thread for my project ?

i could try to remake the atariST version of barbarian on Jaguar :)

ATARI01.jpg

since three years i was following the project of rb+ and now i am enable to make a rom ! cool :thumbsup:

• Like 5

yes, its works !

thanks a lot Sporadic

i have read the tutorial website but i dont understand all because my english is poor....

ATARI01.jpg

since three years i was following the project of rb+ and now i am enable to make a rom ! cool :thumbsup:

Not wanting to discourage you in any way. But Barbarian from the Atari ST has been ported already.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/234492-hacky-slashy

But if you are creating it from scratch in Basic with your own source code then that kicks ass any way you look at it :)

You could also add enhancements or extra features too :D

EDIT: Also, if you have some BASIC code that you know well, (such as Barbarian) then that's a great way to learn RB+ .

Edited by Sporadic

yes, its works !

thanks a lot Sporadic

Good progress!

Well, anything you cannot understand you are free to ask!

No problems replying here or on a dedicated thread. If you have specific questions about something maybe creating a new thread would be better. That way others can find it in the future for reference.

ATARI01.jpg

3 years? Well I'm glad you overcame your fears and started doing things :).

• Like 3

thanks to have look at my rom :)

wow, 2 hours to port the atariST version !!

how it is possible ? with a direct port of the disk ?

in that case, i will remake another version

yes, in 2012 i have re-created this game in basic langage, for pc with QB64 basic compiler

the code is my creation, i started from a blank page. it took me severals months !

in 2014 i have ported the source to sega genesis, with basiegaxorz compiler, always in basic

last year i ported it on pcengine, with Huc3.21. it were in C because no basic compiler is existing for this hardware

its were a "translation" of my basic codes and it worked

now i'd like to port my listing to rb+

i hope it will work !!

• Like 3