IGNORED

Stella 4.6 released

stephena

And highest mouse paddle sensitivity didn't work for you?

No, tried it....still have to turn the spinner more than I'd like to.

In Kat5200 (Atari 5200 emulator), it was pretty easy adjusting it to use my spinner and trackball got it working really good :).

I really like Stella...still will use it even if I can't get my spinner and trackball working right :/

t

Edited by thomas3120

Well. what about the PC-side of things, the control panel stuff for the mouse? If not that then Stella will have to be modified to be more sensitive. Or you will need to mod your spinner, make it send 2x pulses or use some sort of gearing mechanism, or use a wheel with more interrupters.

The DIGITAL PADDLE SENSITIVITY controls the keyboard's implementation of the paddle. The MOUSE PADDLE SENSITIVITY controls what you want. And I see you have it set to only 7 in your screenshot, if indeed that IS your screenshot..

Well. what about the PC-side of things, the control panel stuff for the mouse? If not that then Stella will have to be modified to be more sensitive. Or you will need to mod your spinner, make it send 2x pulses or use some sort of gearing mechanism, or use a wheel with more interrupters.

The DIGITAL PADDLE SENSITIVITY controls the keyboard's implementation of the paddle. The MOUSE PADDLE SENSITIVITY controls what you want. And I see you have it set to only 7 in your screenshot, if indeed that IS your screenshot..

Thanks for the reply,

Well I have a whole bunch of emulators such as MAME, KAT5200, Nestopia(NES), etc... already working perfect as is on the hardware side for the spinner & trackball.

The screenshot was taken on another computer I have just for trying things out(not setup to play). Tried just about all settings there on my arcade cab.

But no big deal :)

Edited by thomas3120

Paddle sensitivity/issues are currently being worked on. If the current settings don't solve your problem, then unfortunately you'll have to wait for the next release.

Thanks for the reply Stephen :) np on waiting, really like using stella.

I had one other issue using stella on my arcade cabinet (has S-Video TV).

I get a runtime error when launching only a dozen or so roms. I did figure out it had to do with my resolution.

In Windows 7 I use (480i) 720x480 and noticed by changing the resolution to (480i) 800x600 the games that didn't work now work but now other games that worked before don't...hehe

Do you know why this could be happening?

Thanks again,

Thomas

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Request: Can you add (in input settings) a way to toggle B/W & Color, Player0 Difficulty and Player1 Difficulty?

It would be easier for gamepads (I think) if we didn't have to program 2 buttons for each. (My gamepad doesn't have that many buttons anyway. :P )

I'm not asking to remove the old settings just add toggles.

Thanks

• Like 1

So has anyone in the AA community built a Stella 4.6 binary for ARM? I run RetroPie on my RPi2 but the version of Stella that distro installs is 3.something.

I was only able to compile 3.9.3, or whatever the last version 3 was.

I think Raspberry is a little behind on current compile tools, or I just suck at compiling. ?

Request: Can you add (in input settings) a way to toggle B/W & Color, Player0 Difficulty and Player1 Difficulty?

It would be easier for gamepads (I think) if we didn't have to program 2 buttons for each. (My gamepad doesn't have that many buttons anyway. :P )

Thanks

Should be easy enough to add.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

This is now implemented, and will be in the 4.7 release.

• Like 1

In the debugger, some values can be edited and some can't.

E.g. hexadecimal register values can be edited, decimal and binary representations of the same can't. Also a few registers cannot be changed (e.g. HM + size in the TIA tab, timers in the I/O tab, everything in the Audio tab). Would it be possible to support that?

In the debugger, some values can be edited and some can't.

E.g. hexadecimal register values can be edited, decimal and binary representations of the same can't. Also a few registers cannot be changed (e.g. HM + size in the TIA tab, timers in the I/O tab, everything in the Audio tab). Would it be possible to support that?

I'll look into it. Some of the values were only there for display, but it should be easy enough to make them editable.

• 2 weeks later...

I installed 4.6.1 over the weekend, upgrading from 4.2.

My F12 key triggers OS X's dashboard, so I normally take screen shots by hitting the \ key then selecting Snapshot. In 4.6.1 the resulting image included the menu, it didn't before:

post-3056-0-84998200-1436794057_thumb.png

Arrgh, that bug is back again (UI being mixed with snapshots). I'll look into it.

EDIT: I found and fixed the issue, which will be present in the next release. It seems that during some code reorganization for 4.6, I accidentally deleted a line of code that directly leads to this bug.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Feature Request:

I understand all user palette files are to be named Stella.PAL.. Why not allow the emulator to pick up on any arbitrarily named palette file as long as it ends in .PAL ? And then have it make an internal list and scroll through them via Control-P. Because right now Control-P only toggles between Z26 and Standard.

Feature Request Bump:

Can the Rom info viewer be made to indicate both the Rom Size and Bank Switch Method?

Feature Request:

I understand all user palette files are to be named Stella.PAL.. Why not allow the emulator to pick up on any arbitrarily named palette file as long as it ends in .PAL ?

You can name the palettes as you like. But you can define only one user palette at a time.

What are these little lines/pixels at the bottom of the screen? And the right edge of the screen? You have to look closely, probably in a paint program or something with a magnifier because they are only one line across. It doesn't look like an artifact of emulation rendering, but more like something in the framebuffer? This happens on 3.9.3 and 4.6.1

In OpenGL mode.

TIA interpolation Linear does it.

TIA interpolation Nearest does not do it.

post-4806-0-12661300-1438407906_thumb.pngpost-4806-0-79313400-1438407906_thumb.png

In retrospect I should have turned off the TV effects for better contrast and boarders. The errant lines show up better. However I did mark their approximate positions with red lines. Remember they are on the very bottom line and the rightmost column.

Why does this happen in maze craze?

post-4806-0-52330400-1438408390_thumb.pngpost-4806-0-57925400-1438408391_thumb.png

Exiting the ROM back to the UI and then restarting the ROM mostly fixes it. Reset or completing mazes doesn't seem to fix it, or cause it.

Now here it's working fine. I started the emulator, ran mazecraze, got the above screenshots, exited the rom back to the UI, and restarted MC. Voila! It works!

post-4806-0-17075100-1438408761_thumb.png

Starting the emulator with it set to SOFTWARE mode. Changing it to OpenGL. Then exiting via the Quit button in the lower righthand corner causes this..

post-4806-0-54172800-1438409691_thumb.png

And somewhere in the process of switching back and forth between OpenGL, Software, and Direct3D, I was able to get the ui to go black and had to use CTRL-Q to get out to the desktop. I'm not sure the exact combo or timining or order of what I did, but it doesn't seem repeatable. And it happens more often after I get the above error.

There were a few times it totally froze my primary display (all black or like a video-ram test pattern), and I had to hibernate of stand-by, then recover in order to regain use of the screen.

Edited by Keatah