IGNORED

Floppy Drive Question

budz2355

Look for an EZ135 drive on EBAY for $35.

Thanks for the heads up Gazoo. I submitted an offer for $20.00 because is was (1) listed AS-IS with no returns, (2) untested and (3) no power supply. I figured that was about all I was willing to risk with that many negatives on top of the $14.00 shipping. I'll keep my eyes open for another one of these though. Thanks for putting it on my radar. :)

If anyone else is interested, his counter was $28.00.

Thanks for the heads up Gazoo. I submitted an offer for $20.00 because is was (1) listed AS-IS with no returns, (2) untested and (3) no power supply. I figured that was about all I was willing to risk with that many negatives on top of the $14.00 shipping. I'll keep my eyes open for another one of these though. Thanks for putting it on my radar. :)

If anyone else is interested, his counter was $28.00.

You don't need the power supply because you can tap 5v from the PEB to run a 3.5" drive externally along with 2 other drives in the PEB with no ill effects, which is what I do. The power supply would have just made it a little easier.

Gazoo

oh sorry, in that case, I have no case :)

but maybe he has: http://www.ebay.com/itm/200844234967

/EDIT/ for more colors and tries on repairing the link. oh AA makes me crazy

I have not given it thought, but I actually have one of those Backpack drives in my storage. It is a parallel CD-ROM drive, rather than a floppy, I had for installing Windows 95 and 98 on laptops without optical drives. Someone over-wrote the drives (Mactard in the office just grabbing disks for whatever) and I never found drivers for it, again, and I have not looked in over a decade. I have considered putting it up on feeBay, but now I might actually give it some new life.

• Like 1

You don't need the power supply because you can tap 5v from the PEB to run a 3.5" drive externally along with 2 other drives in the PEB with no ill effects, which is what I do. The power supply would have just made it a little easier.

Gazoo

Good point, I already planning on tapping it to install a USB power port for a mini WiFi bridge though. I might just get a power supply for the WiFi unit and run the external drive off of the TI. All I would need then is a nice small good looking empty case suitable for a 3.5" drive.

I'll have to see what develops...

The LOAD program may have something on it like, RUN "DSK1.BLAHGAME".

On my own XB games that autoload, I usually have a LOAD program which calls my CHARs for graphics, then has a line at the end that says

>5000 RUN "DSK1.GAME"

It is likely you have something similar going on. If that is the case, just OLD "DSK1.LOAD", LIST it, change the reference from DSK1.GAME to DSK2.GAME. or whatever...

The LOAD program may have something on it like, RUN "DSK1.BLAHGAME".

On my own XB games that autoload, I usually have a LOAD program which calls my CHARs for graphics, then has a line at the end that says

>5000 RUN "DSK1.GAME"

It is likely you have something similar going on. If that is the case, just OLD "DSK1.LOAD", LIST it, change the reference from DSK1.GAME to DSK2.GAME. or whatever...

Awesome. You are right. After I list how do I edit that?

Type the line number FCTN UP ARROW and then arrow over to what you want to edit.

Awesome! ....now I need to go reread your thread about what all those call numbers mean :)

Game loaded like a charm but the player data is still looking in dsk1. Anyway you guys solved it once again!

If your game file is searching for info in DSK1, you have a few options.

1) OLD DSK2.GAME and edit the appropriate lines like you did above.

2) If you can transfer the game to PC (or if you have a copy on tge PC) you can OLD DSK1.GAME in Classic99 and type LIST "CLIP". This will copy the entire listing onto your clipboard. You can then paste into a text editor and edit all the lines referencing DSK1, THEN select all on the text file (highlight and select all) and go back into Classic99. Type NEW in XB to get a fresh clean slate. From the Edit dropdown menu, select PASTE XB. It will paste the whole listing back into XB, then you can SAVE "DSK2.GAME" and voila!!

3) Download TI99Dir (again, this is on the PC side) and select DSK2 (OR WHATEVER) as your directory. Select GAME, click "View contents" and it will display the entire listing. Again, select all, copy, paste into text editor, etc. etc. etc.

If you dont have the ability to transfer, just repeating the steps you did on the LOAD program will do the trick.

For future reference, however, you should ALWAYS have a copy of TI99Dir on your desktop. DL it NOW... do not wait til tomorrow.

• Like 2

Here are some neat items, too:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3312361113981?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=331236111398&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3015036745781?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=301503674578&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

And I would love to gut one of these (or the real thing) and use it for the TI... except that I have no purpose for it, anymore :)

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1816866745781?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=181686674578&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I have not given it thought, but I actually have one of those Backpack drives in my storage. It is a parallel CD-ROM drive, rather than a floppy, I had for installing Windows 95 and 98 on laptops without optical drives. Someone over-wrote the drives (Mactard in the office just grabbing disks for whatever) and I never found drivers for it, again, and I have not looked in over a decade. I have considered putting it up on feeBay, but now I might actually give it some new life.

yes, CS1, but please pay attention:

I have shown this drive because of the housing looks like mine.

This here on eBay seems to be equipped with an parallel-port-interface, used by PCs.

My TexinTreasure-drive in the pic was modded by Mike, seems to have a floppy-interface.

(The 34er-cables comes out of the housing, between the cover, not at the normal point.

So, the standard BackPack-drive from eBay should not run, as it haves another interface.

I will take some pic today from the rear side, I guess there is an originally, not used parallel-port-plug.

I don´t know IF it is modded, but I think so, and if so, I don´t know WHAT they did to the drive to get it run.

I think they just have bypassed the internal floppy-to-parallel-adapter, by plugging the new cable

to the inside floppy-drive directly. (If so, that should be easy to mod)

Maybe I open it for some more pics.

Ralf

/EDIT/ for illiterations :)

Edited by schmitzi

I have two or three of the 3.5 backpack drives and one 5.25 backpack. Schmitzi is right on the cabling--you just connect the back of the physical drive to a standard ribbon cable, thread it out the back of the case, and connect it to your TI.

Ah, true. I was thinking from a different angle on converting or replacing the round cables and interfaces on the other units. It looks like the TRS-80 drive bay I found, while it looks different, would be the closest match for that kind of cabling ease. But that drab-silver versus our beautiful shiny metal... ugh.

I used one of those TRS-80 cases for years with my original PEB (until the internal P/S of the case started eating drives because the voltage wasn't stable anymore). The first drive I had in it was a 35-track drive too. Worked fine with the TI. I think I still have it (and the case) in my parts room.

Edited by Ksarul

I used one of those TRS-80 cases for years with my original PEB (until the internal P/S of the case started eating drives because the voltage wasn't stable anymore). The first drive I had in it was a 35-track drive too. Worked fine with the TI. I think I still have it (and the case) in my parts room.

Is the cable directly compatible with the TI card?

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if I ever showed the finished product. Fully functional second disk drive now! Thanks again to everyone for the help!!

Disk 2

P.S. It isn't quite finished until I put those dip switch packs in from ksarul and paint it silver, but this will do for now :)

EDIT: Sorry for the shadow, not the best lighting in the game room.

Edited by budz2355
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Kind of ridiculous with everyone switching to SD cards for hard drives and stuff, but.... I was just curious..?

How difficult would it be to connect this monster to the TI?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shugart-8-DS-DD-Floppy-Drive-model-850-motor-tested-good-input-230VAC-/200944536116?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec93a4a34

• Like 1

There are a few sites around which describe how to get an 8" drive attached to a 5.25" controller. From what I get, the big problem is the connector is a lot different for the 8" drive, and some drives need the TG43 signal to tell the drive to lower its write current.

Check this out:

http://www.dbit.com/fdadap.html

http://home.claranet.nl/users/pb0aia/cm/8-525.html

I am not certain I would pay $250 for an 8" drive. If you watch closely enough you can grab one sub-$100.

This is a project I am working on a little at a time to read some old IBM System/34 disks, and possibly more.