IGNORED

JHL 15 : Physical Release

Gaztee

I'd be down for one if you haven't reached a maximum limit yet.

Never set a maximum, just that (mainly) due to printing costs 50 is a minimum. We are now at 48, so will just have to make sure there's enough to meet demand before boards & cart cases are ordered too. Hope to have a bit of slack so people who miss this can grab themselves a copy too.

extra large soldering reel has been purchased for this labour

i will be starting the basic board manufacture tonight (capacitors / eeproms / boards) gaztee will be receiving a physical board so that this game can be tested in a more thorough manner that i will be while making to any issues can be dealt with before i commit to programming 100 x 27c160's

• Like 4

Just curious, how official /// how unofficial is this release???

It kind of surprise me that when Another world gets released people in hundreds summon and want a copy, but when this is released less than 100 show support.

What is up with that?? Is it: "I don't like hockey as much as I like a red haired guy in a purple dimension fighting white ogres in a jail" or what?!

Throw your money here!

Edited by Atlantis

Sorry, what? As far as I know BHH was never officially released and both CD and cart versions are non-final playable versions (close to complete but not 100%). With this in mind, Fredifredo hacked the ROM to bits and I coded an editor for him (because hex editing sucks after a while). Then he went on and updated the teams, rosters etc.

In this post we gave our permission to do anything with the released image, hence this thread was born. Now, I dunno if we were entitled to do this but then I've no idea about the © status of the sold version so it's all muddy waters we're treading.

I hope this clears things a bit about if this is an official release or not. Also let me state for the record that Fredi did try to contact the original development team but the trail grew cold pretty quick.

• Like 4

Ok, cool. Maybe I should have asked "what's the history behind this release", but you answered it good anyhow, BHH never released unofficial hack, and the link said it which I missed.

Thanks for fast answer. I look forward for some serious hockey nights.

Edited by Atlantis

@Atlantis - Difference in sales between a game like this and Another World probably has to do with:

1) this is a sports title and Hockey at that, further limiting the audience

2) BHH, modded or otherwise is freely available to play on the various flash carts

3) physical release is very cool, but going to appeal more to the hardcore "gotta have them all" collector.

Or the "too lazy to flash this to my skunk every time I want to play it" crowd. Which includes me.

Physical copies just rock for so many reasons..

Haha, now that is lazy! :lol:

Truth be told, kinda see your point, especially if you don't have a laptop and the Jag is far away from a computer. For me, I just schlep my iBook that I never use or use solely for this purpose anymore, over to the Jag and after a few points an clicks - the Skunk is flashed and ready to go! Keep a patched steering copy of Checkered Flag in one of the slots at all time and come to think of it, JHL Hockey usually occupies the other. :rolling:

Or the "too lazy to flash this to my skunk every time I want to play it" crowd. Which includes me.

Physical copies just rock for so many reasons..

That's me to an extent, but really I don't want to wear out my skunkboard by constantly flashing all the stuff available. If Skunks were under constant production with a reasonable price under $100, then I'd buy half a dozen to flash my faves too and keep them on it and use one for constant flashing.

But since none of that is the case (plus, I sold my skunk when I was unemployed), I need a cart copy now to play this game. I've been thinking about investing in an eeprom burner and buy supplies from one of the dealers for making my own permanent copies of games like JHL. But I'd still rather have an "official looking/quality" release with proper label and box, etc.

This is a title that I've had on CD for quite a while, and played the rom version and JHL 13 version on the skunkboard. It's a favorite of mine, so I already know what I'm getting into, and had been planning on buying the B&C version so I could do saves anyway. Yes, the CD version saves, but it's flakey too load, and often crashes when loading up screens. Plus, it's missing most of the Al Michaels commentary that is in the cart version and actually is good and keeps up with the action in real-time.

I personally think the cartridge version is superior and more complete. People complain the cart version crashes more, but I have not found this to be true. The cart version does crash when you do a certain move in the game (I think it's checking opponent), but you can set the aggression level of your team and if you turn it down, at least I have never had it crash on me since because I haven't checked.

I'm looking forward to the best version, with save, and updated to 2015 with label and box and manual.

Edited by Gunstar

But since none of that is the case (plus, I sold my skunk when I was unemployed), I need a cart copy now to play this game. I've been thinking about investing in an eeprom burner and buy supplies from one of the dealers for making my own permanent copies of games like JHL.

For $645 you could make 50 different physical carts:

eprom burner, adapter eprom eraser - $200

100 27c160 eproms - $150

60 pcbs - $45

54 cases - $150

After that figure $60 for each 20 different carts if you don't get parts in bulk.

• Like 3

100 27c160 eproms - $150

60 pcbs - $45

54 cases - $150

Wow, had no idea you could pull the parts together so cheaply. That's a lot of soldering/desoldering, but amazing to see how cheap the cost of the physical parts can be.

Looks like the printing of box/manual/stickers and stuff actually cost more than the actual physical game parts!

Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 2

For $645 you could make 50 different physical carts:

eprom burner, adapter eprom eraser - $200

100 27c160 eproms - $150

60 pcbs - $45

54 cases - $150

After that figure $60 for each 20 different carts if you don't get parts in bulk.

So...what are those? Minimum bulk numbers & prices? $60 for 20 seems fair to me, since I'm not planning on ever making more than a dozen carts for myself anyway. I hadn't thought far enough ahead to bulk possibilities and making homebrew carts as a service or anything. But there are a few betas and hacks (like Doom II JagDoom hack) that I'd like to have permanent carts for.

It's a matter of deciding if the initial $200 investment in an eprom burner, etc., is worth it instead of buying releases like JHL13 or B&C's beta carts. And I don't see B&C releasing a Doom II hack cart. With Skunkboards still pretty hard to come buy, especially if you miss the limited version releases before they sell out, and end up the only choice being eBay resale as much or more than the eprom burner for one skunkboard, not to mention original Atari flash carts selling for as much as Battlesphere when they pop up. These are the reasons I've been thinking about it. There's just not much choice, with other devices like JagCF still vapor-ware for years, and Jagtopus being available only to Jag publishers.

In this case I want JHL 13 with a box and manual, etc., official looking, anyway.

Im in too please. I have the B&C version but would love a more complete version with updated teams, manual, label and box.

BTW - do the Columbus Bluejackets make an appearance?

I would imagine so. I will check the cart when I finish work. And congrats on being no.50 :) minimum target now hit.

• Like 1

I don't keep up with professional hockey and really don't care at all about watching it but I do love playing this game. Actually I love playing most sports in real life and as video games, but the only sport I actually watch regularly and keep up with is NFL football. So up-to-date rosters isn't necessary for me to enjoy the game, it's more for curiosity and bragging rights to have a 2015 roster in the game since it's a 20-year-old game.

So, how many teams are missing from the league with only 26 on this games roster? And, has anything else been done with this 2015 hack like different graphics or anything? Has difficulty been tweaked? I think it was said that JHL 13 had some goalie tweaking...