IGNORED

Altirra 2.60 released

phaeron

I would just like to say at this point, I for one, most appreciate the effort phaeron has put into his free emulator, and I am certain many others agree with me. Thank you, phaeron.

Edited by avanze
  • Like 7

I would just like to say at this point, I for one, most appreciate the effort phaeron has put into his free emulator, and I am certain many others agree with me. Thank you, phaeron.

I'd say 99.999% of people on here think Phaeron along with other software makers (those without extreme customer views) and contributors are wonderful people and we can't thank them enough, Sadly its the W1k's of this world who hound authors simply because something they wanted didn't get in for whatever reason. Seen this so many times over the years with many authors simply giving up because of the hassle.

Altirra just gives on so many levels, for gamers its a wonderful fix for those with or without hardware, for the hardware people it offers superb emulated hardware, for devs its a cracking dev system with just about any debugging tool they could want all built in.

And as you say, its FREE.....Simply stunning...

Amazing that idiots like W1k fail to see that potentially he could affect its development just by being an arse...Cutting nose off to spite face seems to ring a bell.

And personally I need to thank Avery for Altirra because as people know my wife, daughter and I are undergoing very traumatic time with my daughters illness and to try and take my mind off stuff its Altirra I turn to for a game or a test for the gamepack...That means so much to me...Thanks Avery.

• Like 1

It's quite simply a case of pissing on your own chips making flippant, lazy criticisms of Phaeron's work. We all know he's one of the most knowledgeable and productive individuals on this forum, although such people are - unfortunately - often a magnet for hecklers. Despite having written the above, I hope we can all ignore the odd detractor and enjoy business as usual in this topic. :)

• Like 7

Atari 800 is a pretty good emulator by most any accounts, not to mention some of the enhanced GUi versions around. But Avery's Altirra is a cut above the rest. I love it when people put their talent and effort into doing things that help others, because they can.

Thanks Avery!

Edited by fujidude
  • Like 1

Heck, once I got it properly configured I made the switch full-time to Altirra for emulation. Its debugging capabilities are unparalleled. I could never have gotten as far as I have in developing Accomplish without the ability to single-step through memory while a program was running.

Actions like w1k's also affects the community as a whole. I know I'm more apprehensive to ask questions because I don't want to come across negative or disrespectful.

Altirra is the main reason I have a Windows VM on my laptop. :-)

Supposedly it works under WINE, but I haven't tried it that way.

Just had a look at Altirra 2.60, and I love the homage to the Amiga Workbench 3.0 boot screen.

BUT, the 64-bit version crashes immediately when I try to run it, unlike 2.50 where it ran fine.

Well, that's not good. Do you have the minidump file, or at least a screenshot of the crash dialog? The .mdmp would be the most helpful but I might be able to figure out what's going on even from just the PC. Also, the 32-bit build works for you?

The boot screen is actually modeled after AmigaOS 2, actually. I never had AmigaOS 3 or an AGA system. :( The OS 3 screen is not too much different from OS 2, though. I need to go back and rewrite the code for it sometime as it's pretty horrible under the hood.

Update:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.70-test6.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.70-test6-src.zip

This has improvements to the debugger for Veronica support -- more commands switch targets, call stack is now supported, you no longer need to have the main CPU in 65816 mode for the Veronica target to decode 65816, symbols are isolated to main CPU. I also fixed a couple of 816-specific bugs: MVN/MVP had arguments wrong and the built-in assembler didn't handle [dp],Y correctly. However, you still can't set breakpoints or step in Veronica.

Did some work on the disk emulation, to try to fix an issue with a problematic disk. The disk emulator now better emulates the 1050's seeking behavior including the extra couple of half steps on forward seeks and the double half step seeks on error retries. In the process of doing this I realized that it was still using the XF551 sound even in 1050 mode, so I got a recording from my 1050 drive and plugged in another step sample. It should now properly sound like a 1050, i.e. a loud, grumpy disk drive that sounds like it's always falling apart. Took a stab at trying to mimic the 810's behavior properly too, but it's not verified as I don't have a real 810 drive to test against.

• Like 3

Actions like w1k's also affects the community as a whole. I know I'm more apprehensive to ask questions because I don't want to come across negative or disrespectful.

Altirra is the main reason I have a Windows VM on my laptop. :-)

Sometimes I re-read my own comments just in-case that they are read to be negative or disrespectful. Personally I don't think that I am, but I do check as the internet doesn't convey your actual emotion while writing.

I just think that if you (not you personally!) ask for something, if you don't get it, be gracious. I've asked for a few things in Altirra, some have been implemented (such as the .ini file as opposed to registry usage) and some have not been accepted. That is Avery's right, it it his work, not mine.

And as for Altirra being a reason for a Windows VM, that includes me. I use the VM for Atari development and keep the rest of my machine for everything else.

People should never feel awkward about asking for stuff in Altirra but they should at least try to search to see if its been asked before and have the good manners to not expect Avery to respond to every post at him requesting stuff. I've asked for loads of stuff and have been lucky to get stuff added to the emulator which I'm proud of in my own way and that is the way it should be, people like W1k for some reason get offended when their idea does not get added and that from a psychological point of view says reams about the person.

The source code is out there, if you want something added then code it yourself, if however you lack the ability then have the good grace to respect the author and his fantastic work because without him altirra just stops dead unless an equally skilled person takes it up, and that's a tough ask...

I suspect Avery's biggest buzz is the fact that people use his emulator and use it to the max, I suspect the plaudits are nice but its the fact his work gets used and enjoyed by so many that keeps him working on Altirra, people like W1k are an annoying itch, thankfully there's very few like him...

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2

To me, Avery is (with full respect intended and without knowing his personal self) like a savant. He has such a wealth of knowledge about the Atari and is able to apply it also. The Atari scene is so much better for a person like this.

I first came across Avery when I used to read his Virtualdub page many years back now when he was in college. I loved that product and still do. It still beats many other products for what it is doing.

I was then very surprised in a good way when he appeared on the Atari 8-bit scene.

• Like 1

I owe our MIA Carmel Andrews for telling me about the very first release of Altirra, it was very basic at the time but like Atari800Win when I found that I knew there was something special on the go, for Avery it was more of a proof of concept but I kept nagging him to carry it on more as I suspect many did, and gratefully he did and we have the creme de la creme of emulators that simply keeps getting better and better.

As him being a Savant, I'm now getting a picture of Dustin Hoffman saying "counting cards" in a SAM voice :)

Nooooo.....