IGNORED

Please help connecting Atari 2600 to Modern TV in the UK

TheMaster_109

Request:

I would very much like to get my old Atari 2600 hooked up to a modern TV to see if it still works and test the range of game cartridges that I have. I have been doing some hunting on the internet and seen various postings that make it look like this goal is possible.

Unfortunately I've missed finding the right UK based solution, or more possibly am missing the relevant knowledge to get the posted solutions to work. It sounds like using an old VHS video recorder can help simplify the process.

So can you please help understand, in simple terms :) , how to connect my old Atari 2600 up to a modern TV...

Many thanks!

Kit List:

1. Atari 2600 Wooden Panel - Model No. CX-2600 P
    1. This unit has a Channel Select Switch on its base (A/B)
      I think this switches between Channels 2 & 3
    2. This Atari 2600 Unit was purchased new in Germany quite a few years ago
    3. It has an RCA (I think) cable hardwired into the unit
    4. This unit has never had a switch box like I have seen mentioned for some console models on this forum
  2. A bunch of original Atari game cartridges that were all bought new in Germany
  3. Sony SLV-SE810G VHS Recorder
    1. This VHS Recorder was purchased new in the UK
  4. A modern TV in the shape of a Panasonic TX-37LZD800
    1. As of yet I have not been able to find out how to tune an analogue channel on this TV to channel 2 or 3 in the VHF band
    2. Would I need to be able to tune the TV to channel 2 or 3 if I use the VHS Recorder as a bridge between the modern TV and my Atari 2600?

A couple of pictures to hopefully help:

post-41969-0-55382400-1427047759_thumb.jpgpost-41969-0-92150500-1427047760_thumb.jpgpost-41969-0-41893600-1427047762_thumb.jpgpost-41969-0-93697800-1427047763_thumb.jpg

I live in the US, so I can't really help with the connectors you guys have over there, but I would recommend you first test the Atari on an old CRT TV if at all possible to minimize the variables while you make sure it works, and to pick out a few games that you know work. Then you can make the adjustments to the settings on your modern TV once you know all the other connections and settings work (realizing that some games may work better than others as some aspects of the signal are controlled by the software).

Some modern TVs need tweaking to tune, and read the RF signal; some apparently won't work at all, or have problems with the Atari video signal, which is not perfectly "standard".

Good luck.

• Like 1

Did UK and Germany use the same broadcast standards? I know both use PAL but the analog RF frequencies and channel numbers may vary from country to country.

Try direct connecting the Atari to the RF on your TV and doing an "all channel scan" using both cable and air settings. If anything pops up, it's probably the Atari.

Likewise, you can use an old VCR with built in tuner to convert from RF to composite and use RCA or Scart or whatever to connect the composite to your TV.

Edited by stardust4ever

@stardust4ever:

From my own experiences there was a difference between UK and European PAL; this was only on how the sound was transmitted not the picture itself. When we brought our TV's back we had to have them adjusted so we could the sound here in the UK.

The catch I've hit with using the TV directly so far is manually tuning my TV to channel 2 or 3; the composite input spec claims it does both VHF and UHF but how you access VHF signals I haven't found out yet.

I've also tried connecting the Atari directly to the aerial input of the VHS and then the VHS as normal to the TV. I know the VHS is working as tape playback works fine. I've haven't been able to get the Atari to show up yet. I'm hoping that this is because I'm missing a step in the process and this down to my not knowing all the required info just yet... :)

@Thomas Jentzsch:

Thanks for the suggestion, that is one I have come across but the catch I have right now I think I'm missing some key bits of info on how to the process from start to end. Would you happen to know of a existing post that covers things for newbies like myself or happen to have the info yourself? Many thanks...

• 10 months later...

You have probably sorted this by now but in case you haven't here goes. I have an Atari 2600, the newer version, so what I did was plugged the input into the aerial socket. Switched the Atari on. Switched the TV to analogue then ran an update.The TV picked up the Atari signal on channel 36 and we were off and running.

UK doesn't have VHF, so German computers and consoles are no go (Even if the TV says VHF it most likely disabled.)

I had that problem when I moved to UK from Germany and all my computers and consoles didn't work on UK TVs. Luckily I brought along my Sanyo monitor with my Philips TV tuner.

Also, PAL B (Germany) and PAL I (UK) are also not compatible, don't remember why though (such a long time ago)

Edited by high voltage

• 1 month later...

As has been correctly said UK and European PAL are different formats. The picture is the same but the sound is on different frequencies I believe.

In the end the only way I was able to get my Atari games console to work was to find an old TV on eBay, in this case a KDL-15G2000, which had the right tuner options. It also had the key capability to change which sound format it used (including to European PAL), this meant I could change it to be fully configured to work with my German Atari 2600. Thus I was able to get both picture and sound.

Yes. I don't know exactly why. I'm sure there are multiple reasons like laziness to switch to a world standard or profit motives in keeping multiple versions of one thing.

NTSC was good enough for me back in the day and I couldn't give a rat's ass about PAL or anything.

Probably your only way forward is to mod your 2600 to composite. You will then be able to connect your modern tv via phono cables.

I have got a modded sears video arcade which is ntsc and use a harmony cartridge here in the uk. The setup produces amazingly crisp results. But I also have modded pal units also. Mod kits are available on ebay, and are relatively easy to install and bypass ntsc and pal protocols. Good luck with your project.

The catch I've hit with using the TV directly so far is manually tuning my TV to channel 2 or 3; the composite input spec claims it does both VHF and UHF but how you access VHF signals I haven't found out yet.

If it is a really modern TV it may not even have an analogue Tuner, if it does did you have the TV switched from Digital DVB (Freewview) to Analogue when trying to tune it in? If so and it still would not tune in either manually or via the auto tune then you really only have two options both of which bypass the tuner.

Option 1 is to perform an AV mod on the VCS and either connect the Composite and Audio output directly to Composite video and L/R Audio inputs of the TV or to a Composite to HDMI adaptor and into the TV via one of its HDMI inputs.

Option 2 is to use a VCR, connect the VCR to the TV via the SCART connector and tune the VCR into the console. As I recall both consoles and VCRs made for the UK broadcast on Channel 38 as that was an unallocated channel and that can sometimes cause an issue as they could interfere with each other, if that occurs you may find what looks like a small screw on the rear of the VCR marked "Channel" or "Chn", gently turning that "screw" will change the channel the VCR broadcasts on thereby solving the problem.

Option 1 is the better solution if you have/can find someone the skills required to do it as it should result in better picture and sound and you won't need to keep a VCR hanging around.

Very old TVs here in the UK supported VHF, but it was dropped 20-25 years ago or so, as only UHF is now available on the analogue tuners (so it starts at channel 13 here). I believe TVs will still have legacy analogue tuners for old equipment for a while.

• 3 years later...