IGNORED

PC-1 Software & Docs

No it's not. You can't use a VGA monitor on a EGA computer.

I'm not sure, but I think he may have been replying to the comment about running GEM EGA on the VGA display? That can definitely be done as VGA can emulate EGA graphics.

I'm looking for a good EGA to VGA adaptor. Anyone know of a good solution?

I brought one of these from a company which manufacturers them here in Australia. I'm pretty sure they also ship overseas.

http://www.microbeetechnology.com.au/vga_video_converter.htm

I already had the GBS-8200 PCB which I brought off eBay a while ago so I just brought the "short form + case" option and had them put their board together for me. Works great on my PC3 (which has the same onboard EGA as the PC1) as well as being great for when I want to use my Amiga 500. Very versatile.

Nice, I just got the GBS-8200 so I will order the case and kit, they were able to pre install it for you?

If you pay to have them build and test their PCB for you, then yes it will be installed in the case. But you will have to take it out again anyway as you will need to solder the power and video connectors you get with the GBS-8200 to it then put everything back in it. Pretty easy to do.

Their full kit (which includes a GBS-8200 which they supply) can be fully built and ready to go for you. Apparently too they've made improvements to the GBS-8200 to fix a "snow" issue under some circumstances. But I've never had a problem with mine.

• 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2021 at 10:02 AM, jedie said:

Back to the Floppy topic: Is it possible to attach a Gotek floppy emulator to the external floppy port of the Atari PC1 ?!?

Yes.    But you'll need the Atari 14-pin to Shugart 34-pin cable that includes both control lines for disks 0 and 1.   Many such cables only include drive 1 as they were intended for use with an Atari ST/F/E where drive 0 would always be the internal disk.

If you press F2 when you boot the PC1, it will boot off the first external floppy.   Press F3 and it will boot off the second external floppy.   

If you press F2, (and with the right cable) the Gotek becomes drives A: and B:, and the internal disk becomes drive C.

59 minutes ago, oracle_jedi said:

Atari 14-pin to Shugart 34-pin cable

No, not Shugart. I found out that it must be the PC variant: https://forum.classic-computing.de/forum/index.php?thread/24929-atari-pc1-externe-floppy-interner-isa-bus/&postID=313973#post313973 (german)

366345083_AtariPCFloppyPCvsShugart.thumb.png.7b4b6e6683e6517d4cfedc3fba297a12.png

1 hour ago, oracle_jedi said:

If you press F2 when you boot the PC1, it will boot off the first external floppy.   Press F3 and it will boot off the second external floppy.   

If you press F2, (and with the right cable) the Gotek becomes drives A: and B:, and the internal disk becomes drive C.

Wow... That's new to me. Thanks!

I bought a PC-1 a couple of years ago now but still not found any EGA monitor to use with it. Real pain because my old Commodore 128 monitors are CGA only I believe (RGB-i) but not sure.

Because I never ever saw the machine connected to a monitor when I bought it I am reluctant to spend mega bucks to see if it works and displays correctly. I thought these were great back then compared to the ugly similarly priced Amstrad 1512 but that had an 8086 CPU not an 8088. 

Would be nice to get it going but I have too much stuff....if I see an EGA monitor going dirt cheap or a cable for the Commodore 1901/1902 series I will do some pics. At least I have the original mouse and keyboard for it if no disks with an OS lol

• Like 1