IGNORED

Handy sound fix added to any emulator ports?

Turbo Laser Lynx

• 3 months later...

Has this sound fix been added to the Windows version? In Handy 0.95 on my 4.3ghz i5 I get sound stuttering all the time and no bicycle squeak in California Games under Handy. All works fine in Mednafen.

Yes, in this version:-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wkn27s28t79xiye/Handy0.971.zip?dl=0

This version I updated also includes LX NETs fixes (3 or more fixes he came up with for graphics issues) and also a fix for Gates of Zendocon sample on intro which I fixed.

• Like 2

@GadgetUK: thanks for the response! I guess the problem in Windows Handy was it had audio gaps so you had to increase buffer size? In RetroArch handy core, the problem is that notes sound strange, so I believe it's a internal problem with the audio emulation, not an external buffering problem.

@aminor00: don't worry! ;)

@mvirtuale: don't bother with standalone Handy on GNU/Linux: use RetroArch + Mednafen-Lynx core. Here's the PPA:

http://www.libretro.com/index.php/downloads/#linux

I am sure you can add a PPA and use it.

Use RetroArch+core without X, with GLES2 on KMS/DRM, for lagless emulation not available in any other OS.

Hello guys

I've been porting Handy to PSVita with great results but I think my Handy sources are not updated.

For example on California Games, intro and highscore screen lags a lot.

Also sound is not perfect

would you like to help me?

https://github.com/frangarcj/HandyVITA

I've added lcd3x so it looks great on oled screen

Thanks in advance

555dd01a-25b5-11e5-91f6-7f8d139434e2.jpg

• Like 2

Wow really cool! I just got a PS Vita and would love to see Handy work well on it. Unfortunately I am a bit late to the game and the PSM needed to run home brews isn't available anymore :( that and I upgraded to 3.52 before I knew what was what.. Double :(

Oh well eventually the tools will come out do I can have some fun too!

• 1 year later...

Hello guys

I've been porting Handy to PSVita with great results but I think my Handy sources are not updated.

For example on California Games, intro and highscore screen lags a lot.

Also sound is not perfect

would you like to help me?

https://github.com/frangarcj/HandyVITA

I've added lcd3x so it looks great on oled screen

Thanks in advance

555dd01a-25b5-11e5-91f6-7f8d139434e2.jpg

I've been playing with your port for the last couple days, beautiful! I need some direction on settings though. Mainly button configuration and sound. It looks like Handy has the ability to turn sound on and off, and in your post it looks like sound was working on some level, but I can't figure out how to get the sound to work. Thanks again for porting this emulator, the Vita is the ultimate emulation machine in my opinion. A nice combination of form with enough power, having my Lynx games on it is fantastic!

I can't wait to see how things continue to unfold in the Vita community and I really am looking forward to improved Lynx emulation on it!

• 1 year later...

This version I updated also includes LX NETs fixes (3 or more fixes he came up with for graphics issues) and also a fix for Gates of Zendocon sample on intro which I fixed.

Gadget, Good work on fixing this irritating bug.

I just found this thread on Handy 0.971 while looking for a fix for the sound issues in 0.95 (and lower). Sourceforge only has 0.95 from 10 years ago (someone really dropped the ball there by not keeping the project updated with the latest build). This really need to be added to the Sourceforge Handy page so that others looking to use the Handy Emulator will not give up on using it when they hear the sound and consider the emulator broken. I know that personally I stopped using Handy for quite sometime as I found the sound issues to be unbearable as it totally ruins that game experience. There are other multi system emulator that support the Lynx, but Handy is still the best and easiest Lynx Emulator to use. Just saying that not everyone is going to stumble on this old thread and having 0.971 only hosted on a personal dropbox account will lead to it eventually getting lost as this isn't a best practice for archiving the update.

Edited by Tidus79001
  • Like 1

Gadget, Good work on fixing this irritating bug.

I just found this thread on Handy 0.971 while looking for a fix for the sound issues in 0.95 (and lower). Sourceforge only has 0.95 from 10 years ago (someone really dropped the ball there by not keeping the project updated with the latest build). This really need to be added to the Sourceforge Handy page so that others looking to use the Handy Emulator will not give up on using it when they hear the sound and consider the emulator broken. I know that personally I stopped using Handy for quite sometime as I found the sound issues to be unbearable as it totally ruins that game experience. There are other multi system emulator that support the Lynx, but Handy is still the best and easiest Lynx Emulator to use. Just saying that not everyone is going to stumble on this old thread and having 0.971 only hosted on a personal dropbox account will lead to it eventually getting lost as this isn't a best practice for archiving the update.

There are newer better emulators, that's part of the reason the source was never checked in. LX.NET has a nice version done for WIndows Phone I think, and as Sage mentioned retroach is better, and I think Medafen is too. The other reason for not checking it into SVN or something is as part of the move to the newer version of Visual Studio, all the comms / network stuff broke in the process and hasn't been fixed since in that original version fo Handy.

... actually you can find the latest code on github.

I tried to sync the core between handy, sdlhandy and retroarch (mednafen is skipped because of its unwilligness of accepting patches).

Thanks to LX I could compile handy with VS16, but this version is more beta because the boot replacement is not user-friendly switchable. EEPROM support is only partly available.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
On 7/8/2015 at 2:03 AM, GadgetUK said:

Are you KIDDING me?

How many years did I waste thinking I'll never have functional sound in Atari Lynx emulation, trying to save coins so I could some day afford this marvellous machine, so I could finally have working sound. Tried every single setting every time with multiple different PCs and operating systems.

And here I am suddenly told today that THIS exists?

I am Jack's wasted life..

..wanting to bang my head against the wall really hard right now.

In other words, thank you, this version is BRILLIANT!

P.S. Sorry for the 'necro'..

Edited by Monk