IGNORED

Never thought I would but just ordered an Xbone

Tickled_Pink

As I'm still using my 360 and recently upgraded the PC to play more modern games, I didn't think I'd take the plunge and get a current gen console.

Well, I'm weak.

Before Christmas a friend bought a white one for her eldest daughter. She paid £350 for it. Today I came across a black one with Assassin's Creed: Unity and Assassin's Creed: Black Flag for £275. But things got better - I came across a voucher code for that store for an extra 10% off. So I ordered one for £253 delivered. :)

When setting up my friend's for her I noticed that a single Xbox Live Gold account can be used for both the 360 and Xbox One. So my main 360 can still be used online by one of the girls if they want.

Now I've just got to figure out how I'm going to pay my credit card bill.

In a vacuum I'd pick the PS4, but my best friends are both on Xbox One so that's probably what I'll end up getting. I think I'm one good bundle offer away from buying. I'm not interested in the Assasin's Creed games (I have Black Flag for PS3 already) or the Halo collection. If I see a bundle with a year of Xbox live and a 2nd controller at a good price I'd probably nab it.

I'm still on the fence about Kinect, though. I take it the bundle you ordered doesn't have Kinect?

I picked up the Xbox One and I had previously just been all about moving my gaming PC to my TV for steambox and skipping the PS4/Xbone but the experience just wasn't great. I still prefer my Wii U with my wife most days but I'm happy with my purchase. Getting used to the sign-ins and user tracking was odd. I think if I did it again I'd just get the Kinect Bundle. I ended up using the TV pass-thru a lot and I sort of regret not getting that part.

On the PS4 v Xbone department: I really dislike the centered sticks. Always have. I really like the Xbox controller designs (other than regular freakin' batteries!!!!)

I think the ONE is a solid system now. It was hard to stomach it at $500 in the first few months it was out with a barren library and lackluster interface. At $350 or less though, more games now and a GUI that's more useful than it was a year ago, it's worth the cost. I am sure you will end up enjoying it!

In a vacuum I'd pick the PS4, but my best friends are both on Xbox One so that's probably what I'll end up getting. I think I'm one good bundle offer away from buying. I'm not interested in the Assasin's Creed games (I have Black Flag for PS3 already) or the Halo collection. If I see a bundle with a year of Xbox live and a 2nd controller at a good price I'd probably nab it.

I'm still on the fence about Kinect, though. I take it the bundle you ordered doesn't have Kinect?

Yeah, the PS4 is probably the one I'd choose but then I'd want a Vita to go with it. So for the price I thought "what the hell". My finger was over the 'place order' button for about 10 minutes while I considered whether I wanted one or not. I got notified of the deal through a website I use called HotUKDeals.com. It's one where users post details of any deals they come across. Checking back on the site last night I noticed one user who'd ordered one but three hours later was informed it was out of stock and got a refund ... Looking at the time he posted it seems I got in there just in time.

It has no Kinect, which isn't a bad thing as I'd never use it.

Incidentally, power-wise the One is probably of a similar capability as my PC - except that it's unlikely to crash quite so often. I complained to my wife a few days ago that my 17" monitor was too small. Yesterday she asked about whether I could connect it to the TV .. DO'H! It's right next to our main TV. So instead of being limited to a 24" monitor, which is all I would have gone for, I already have a 42" monitor. All I need is a wireless keyboard and mouse.

Edited by Tickled_Pink

I still don't have much use for it since 99% of all the games are on Steam. I really want to see some exclusives you can't find on PC or PS4. I bought it mainly for the Halo collection, I'm not bashing the system, its pretty solid and I watch my cable through it along with the Gold freebies I'm not regretting it.

PS4 is my primary console...the games look great and they got a lot of exclusives (that I like). Same with Nintendo. The Wii U gets played a few times weekly, not as much as I would like but its nice, still lacks games as I avoid eshop stuff.

Let us know if the cops kick in your door for saying something negative about the government in front of the Xbone. :D

What if I go to our government and say something negative about the Xbone?

Finally plugged it in, after asking a friend to come round to get the TV off the wall, and ... it doesn't f^&*W() WORK! :mad:

Well, at least I think it doesn't. I'm getting no signal through to the TV. Tried two cables. Nothing. Xbox itself seems to be responding to presses on the power button and eject button. Tried some of the things I've found online, like the Eject + Power to reset the display to low res but still not a sausage.

GAAAHHH!!!

What's it for? Remember to explain veeerrryyy slooowwwllyyyy. This is someone who's never plugged anything into an SPDIF connection before either.

Never mind. I get it. It's a pass-thru for connecting things like the satellite receiver (or even Xbox 360/PC) to it.

Damned handy feature if you've only got two HDMI connections on your TV. I want to hook up the PC to it and play Elite: Dangerous in forty-two inches. :grin:

Edited by Tickled_Pink

Never mind. I get it. It's a pass-thru for connecting things like the satellite receiver (or even Xbox 360/PC) to it.

Damned handy feature if you've only got two HDMI connections on your TV. I want to hook up the PC to it and play Elite: Dangerous in forty-two inches. :grin:

I have enough connections, but if I got a One I'd like to use that feature for controlling my cable through the One, especially with Kinect. I'd be afraid it would make things difficult for my wife, though, when she tries to watch TV when I'm not home.

The pass-through is meant for television. Hooking another game console into the HDMI IN port results in noticeable input delay/lag. I used to have my 360 hooked into the Xbone but the gameplay was pretty unbearable. To deal with the limited ports on my TV, I bought a cheap four port switchbox instead and now have both plugged into that.

Edited by Austin

• 2 weeks later...

Well, so far it hasn't had a lot of use apart from a couple of late night sessions with AC Black Flag. We used to use the 360 as a media player but it wouldn't play mkv files, which was a pain. Found out the other day that the Xbone does, so that's a plus at least.

How do you feel about it as a console? I rate it pretty low myself at this point after I think 3 months. I have a lot of cases where things crash to to desktop on launch 2 or 3 times and about twice a week I launch something and NO input works other than the xbox button thing to get back to the desktop. There's a few games I love on it. I really like coop plants v zombies, I like Child of Light a lot (this month's games for gold game), Rayman Legends (was free and I it's one of my favorite games in years!) and a few others, and I love the controller. The system itself feels like it's still about 4/5 done to me.

Well, I haven't had any crashes yet. To me, the whole point of buying a console these days is so that you don't have to suffer the crashes that you get on a PC. At this moment in time I don't regret buying it. I doubt that I ever will as I like gadgets ... the more the merrier. And once Microsoft open up Indie development on it then it's there for me to use from the get go.

Gone back to the 360 for a bit since I still have plenty of games on that which haven't been played/completed yet.

My biggest complaint is the fact that I love driving games and the F1 games but will only play them with a force feedback wheel - and I have to buy another one for the Xbone as the Logitech one I already have for the 360 won't work with it. :mad: They're not exactly cheap.

• Like 1

My biggest complaint is the fact that I love driving games and the F1 games but will only play them with a force feedback wheel - and I have to buy another one for the Xbone as the Logitech one I already have for the 360 won't work with it. :mad: They're not exactly cheap.

Yeah, I'd have to say one of my biggest disappointments with the XBOX ONE is the lack of peripheral backwards compatibility. I have several original wired 360 controllers (original MS brand, third party knock-off, and a Hori arcade stick), and none of them work on the Xbone. The arcade stick in particular isn't cheap, and to reacquire the equivalent of all of those for the Xbone will cost me $200+. It's stupid. I can understand wireless devices not functioning (to a degree, I don't know if the tech is the same between the 360 and Xbone wireless controllers), but USB devices? C'mon, those should work right out of the box. At least the 360 ones should anyway.

• Like 1

It's sadly not much better with the PS4. Arcade sticks for example can be made to work, but the developer must go out of their way to support a specific make and model.

So if you have a game that you feel would benefit from your PS3 arcade stick, but the developer failed to actually support the accessory, you're just out of luck.

And Logitech wheel owners, and I think Fanatec wheel owners, are both locked out on the PS4. Only Thrustmaster products are supported right now where PS3 capable wheels are concerned, with no sign of that changing anytime soon on the eve of Project Cars being released.

Locking down accessories has to rank as one of the worst aspects of the last two generations.

Edited by Atariboy