IGNORED

The most modded TI console in existence.

Omega-TI

Over the years we've seen articles of people putting 32K in their consoles, upgrading their video, installing keyboard interfaces, heck there has even been talk of cramming an entire Nano-PEB in the space between the top of the console and the clam shell. Then there are the small single modifications, like the caps lock, hold switch, load interrupt, speed up, etc.

My question is: Who has the most heavily modded TI in existence?

If you think you've got it, list your mods, show us some pictures, give us some ideas.

(Circuit bending mods don't count)

Wish I had pictures of my old console, it has TIM (v9958) replacing the video 9918, an SOB replacing the GROM's, the cpu 9900 replaced with the faster 99105, the added 32k on 16bit bus, the rave 99 keyboard interface, the console roms replaced with eproms, a small board with battery soldered on the cartridge port giving switchable 8k supercart and 8k dsr space mapped into gpl/cpu xml extension space.

Only thing missing from the above would had been a 16bit ams 128k setup instead of 32k, and 1 meg horizon setup with clock, and i guess bring in speech like Zeno did that would have would make it perfect all-in-one mod based on what was available at the time, I see people in past due horizon inside mods, so very possible this would had been, but now the old ti99 power supply would be burning out hot as hell.

Now in today's age of FPGA's and smaller chips, something even more cool could be done, lets do it, build the ultimate modded 99/4a by the end of this year! :)

Edited by Gary from OPA
  • Like 1

Where'd you buy the 99105, and where can I get one?

I bought them long time ago, they appear now and then on eBay in single units or pulled units normally from China, or you can search various old ic warehouses like this one that claims they have some:

https://www.sierraic.com/TMS99105

But the chip is NOT a direct replacement for 9900, you need to mount it on board, and build a circuit that splits the now mixed data/address lines into the older version, as the chip is only 40 pins instead of 64.

Plus there is alot of chips not stable, the timing is off, causing race loops with the certain opcodes, and traces have to very short and clean from any cross-talk and well buffered to be able to drive any external circuirts.

A much better replacement for the old 9900 is the SMJ68689, which I done also in using it for replacement 99/4a board design, but those chips are even harder to get.

Anyhow, this is getting off-topic now, lets see some pictures of very amazing mods, wish I had some of mine to share.

Hey Owen,

I remember seeing a photo of your keypad in the past and thought it was kind of slick. Now day's if someone still wanted to use their TI keyboard, but copy your idea for the separate numeric keypad, they could make one of Tursi's USB keyboard adapters and plug in one of these...

71eQWC9vzgL._SY355_.jpg

• Like 1

Wish I had pictures of my old console, it has TIM (v9958) replacing the video 9918, an SOB replacing the GROM's, the cpu 9900 replaced with the faster 99105, the added 32k on 16bit bus, the rave 99 keyboard interface, the console roms replaced with eproms, a small board with battery soldered on the cartridge port giving switchable 8k supercart and 8k dsr space mapped into gpl/cpu xml extension space.

Only thing missing from the above would had been a 16bit ams 128k setup instead of 32k, and 1 meg horizon setup with clock, and i guess bring in speech like Zeno did that would have would make it perfect all-in-one mod based on what was available at the time, I see people in past due horizon inside mods, so very possible this would had been, but now the old ti99 power supply would be burning out hot as hell.

Now in today's age of FPGA's and smaller chips, something even more cool could be done, lets do it, build the ultimate modded 99/4a by the end of this year! :)

Pictures or it didn't happen! :P

Sounds like quite the project!

For those talking about numeric keypads, I used myself, this one:

image-41210-0cb7048c.jpg

It also came bundled Atari StarRaiders game.

With a simple diode fix and rewiring of cable, it could plug into the joystick port and the various buttons could be mapped to different positions of the joystick.

To make it work as actual keypad a few traces would have to be cut and circuit inside wired a bit, and then of course on the console the right lines from keyboard.

As for my super-ti with 99105, sadly I don't have any pictures, I did bring it to a few fairs back in day, when Don and I were planning on releasing it as add-on, and demoed it running programs super-fast, (and it got mentioned in Micropendium when it was). I got a few spare 99105 chips here I might try to do it again with another console if I do, I will for sure take some pictures.

• Like 1

My main console has :

crystal mod (switched - normal/turbo)

alpha mod

reset button

load interrupt button

hold switch

resistor mod for video

capacitor mod for video

f18a installed (the 2 above mods have become moot)

rave keyboard interface

Can provide some pictures but I figured these was pretty standard in the modification department.

conTInuing,

-Ralph...

• Like 1

Can provide some pictures but I figured these was pretty standard in the modification department.

From your list, I might consider the Xtal mod and hold switch someday. I might also add a USB power port some day as well.

Tursi's keyboard mod includes the RESET and LOAD INTERRUPT as well, and like you say, the two video mods are obsolete with the F18A.

Pictures are ALWAYS nice though! If not here, we need more posts in the TI-99 Photos Thread! :)

• 1 month later...

I think that the best MODified TI-99/4A is the one that Fabrice Mountpet done on his computer !!

i like it a lot ! check the images ! : :lust::lust::lust::lust:

post-24673-0-05359000-1430844745_thumb.jpg post-24673-0-83381300-1430844753_thumb.jpg post-24673-0-90180100-1430844759_thumb.jpg

Original Link --HERE--

details report (in french) :

Alors, voici quelques détails (non exhaustif):
- Extension 32Ko RAM 16 bits
- Pavé numérique 16 touches
- 12 touches de fonctions programmées
- Touches directionnelles séparées
- Sortie Audio avec amplificateur désactivable
- Speech Synthetizer intégré
- Port cartouche à insertion verticale
- ROM "Editor/Assembler" et "Disk Manager II" intégrées avec possibilité d'ajouter de nouvelles GROM en interne
- Sélecteur des programmes en ROM par menu.
- Boutons Reset et Mode Turbo
- LED Turbo/Power/CapsLock

Sur la coque supérieure (de haut en bas et de gauche à droite) :

- Petite carte de la LED CapsLOCK
- Carte sur laquelle repose les touches de fonction
- Circuit comprenant l'ampli audio et son interrupteur M/A, les deux Quartz système ( mode normal à 3Mhz/mode turbo à 3.58Mhz), la LED de fonctionnement et du mode Turbo.
- Circuit électronique de gestion du pavé numérique et des touches de directions
- Carte contenant le circuit d'activation de la fonction 'Review Module Library", intégrant également les GROM Editor/Assembler + Disk Manager II. Le supports vides peuvent supporter encore d'autres GROM.
- Carte de support cartouche verticale
Sur la carte mère:
- PCB du speech Synthesizer (en dessous) et PCB Extended Basic (au dessus). Les deux cartes et le connecteur cartouche sont tous connectés au circuit d'activation des ROM/GROM.
- L'extension RAM 32Ko, greffée au CPU et l'une des ROM.
- Pavé numérique
- Potentiomètre de volume (pour le HP intégré au boitier) et boutons RESET et Turbo, prise audio RCA.

Non visible sur les photos... la mega-tonne de straps derrière les circuits rajoutés et derrière la carte mère ! icon_lol.gif

Il me reste encore (un peu!) de la place à l'intérieur Ce qui me donne une idée pour un autre upgrade ^^

Edited by ti99iuc
  • Like 5