IGNORED

VBXE in a 600XL?

Larry

I think it's been done. I suspect the RF modulator might need to be taken out though... there's not nearly as much space available above Antic, remembering the adaptor board plugs in then VBXE board into that.

Another issue might be clearance of the keyboard.

You'd either need to ask candle, FJC or trawl through the VBXE install threads. It's been something like 5 years since I installed mine (800XL) and probably 2 years since I've even looked inside the machine so it's becoming an old memory.

XE version of VBXE is different, has the long pin header pointing downwards where the XL one comes off the end of the board, so Antic adaptor obviously different to match that.

I should also have added. You need it to be a 64K or more base machine before you start. If 64K then it's best to run VBXE in "R" Rambo compatible mode otherwise run in native "A" mode firmware.

XE version of VBXE is different, has the long pin header pointing downwards where the XL one comes off the end of the board, so Antic adaptor obviously different to match that.

I should also have added. You need it to be a 64K or more base machine before you start. If 64K then it's best to run VBXE in "R" Rambo compatible mode otherwise run in native "A" mode firmware.

well, technically there is no reason you need 64K for VBXE, it's just kind of assumed though. it will work perfectly fine though, with only 16K. For now, my 80 column ANSI terminal emulator even runs in 16K.

EDIT: well, I thought it did, but now that I think about it, I probably creep just over the 16K line since I am (inefficiently) placing things after the VBXE memory window, thus wasting a whole 4K, plus whatever free space there was before the 4K boundary that the memory window lies on... (guess I'll fix that, I'd like to be able to boast that it runs in 16K)

EDIT 2: fixed :)

Edited by Joey Z
  • Like 1

Technically it's fine to run VBXE on a 16K system.

But practically, you'd probably find that no software designed for it would work.

The trouble and expense of a VBXE upgrade is ~ 1-2 hours labour and $150 or whatever it costs these days.

The trouble and expense to upgrade a 600XL to 64K is ~ 1/2 hour labour and a few bucks at most for 2 Ram chips.

Well, bad luck for me -- Lotharek can't supply the XL adapter as a separate purchase. But looking at my XE VBXE, is there any reason that I can't connect the VBXE to the adapter via this?

http://www.amazon.com/Phantom-dupont-cable-200mm-female/dp/B00A6SOGC4/ref=pd_sim_e_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0500Y42AZXZ0DZN3CM7N

Alternatively, I could desolder the female connector on the VBXE and put in regular header pins and then use a ribbon cable and female connectors at both ends, but I'd like to avoid desoldering on the VBXE.

-Larry

Well, bad luck for me -- Lotharek can't supply the XL adapter as a separate purchase. But looking at my XE VBXE, is there any reason that I can't connect the VBXE to the adapter via this?

http://www.amazon.com/Phantom-dupont-cable-200mm-female/dp/B00A6SOGC4/ref=pd_sim_e_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0500Y42AZXZ0DZN3CM7N

Alternatively, I could desolder the female connector on the VBXE and put in regular header pins and then use a ribbon cable and female connectors at both ends, but I'd likr to avoid desoldering on the VBXE.

-Larry

It's worth a try, just try to keep the length down is all. I imagine for such 'low speed' it would probably be fine though.

I guess a ribbon cable could work, we use them for our Ultimate 1 Megs.

It comes down to placement in the 600XL though, space can be a real issue. And you'd probably want to have consideration for future upgrades like U1Meg.

Normally I would, but for this one, I plan on having an accelerator in there. The accelerator has on-board Rambo, and it also takes care of the the base 64K. CPU, MMU, ram, and a couple of support chips get pulled. The accelerator drops in. The VBXE does require some work, but when this is finished, it should make a very nice machine. At least that's the plan.

-Larry

Hi Jon-

Thanks, but let me try my cable hookup before you do anything. I've already ordered the cable from Amazon. Lotharek says he doesn't have spares -- just enough for his VBXE's. I've got a Hakko desoldering gun -- if push comes to shove. :-) I see what you mean by looking again more closely at the pic you posted.

I think that XL adapter would be handy for quite a few things -- just leave the 40-pin connector off the adapter board so that the user could configure to his/her needs. In fact just selling the pcb would give a lot of flexibility

-Larry

The VBXE/adapter connection is a 40 pin header, perhaps a short IDE extension cable. This would be much easier(and less risk of damage) than desoldering the female header from the VBXE. They are available in various lengths.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X40-Pin+Male+to+Female+IDE+Extension+Cable.TRS0&_nkw=40-Pin+Male+to+Female+IDE+Extension+Cable&_sacat=0

• Like 1

The VBXE/adapter connection is a 40 pin header, perhaps a short IDE extension cable. This would be much easier(and less risk of damage) than desoldering the female header from the VBXE. They are available in various lengths.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X40-Pin+Male+to+Female+IDE+Extension+Cable.TRS0&_nkw=40-Pin+Male+to+Female+IDE+Extension+Cable&_sacat=0

Eureka! Thanks, for some reason, I could only think of female-female connectors. If that cable that I ordered doesn't work well, I'll get one of the IDE extenders.

-Larry

Eureka! Thanks, for some reason, I could only think of female-female connectors. If that cable that I ordered doesn't work well, I'll get one of the IDE extenders.

-Larry

One thing to watch for is that many IDE cables are keyed with a plugged socket to keep them from being plugged in backwards, you will want an unkeyed extension cable with all 40 pins/sockets.