IGNORED

New Game Conversion: Bruce Lee II

landgraf

1 hour ago, Bill Loguidice said:

If you're into the C-64, there's no good reason not to get one.

Sure there is.  If I do not want to mess with new fangled tom-foolery, it does not matter how easy said whatchamacallits may be to use.  All I ask is a stock C64/1541 combo and a star to steer her by.

29 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Writing an image to a floppy disk and ship is not a lot of work, if that is all one wants. Any idea of the teddy bear's location?

If he is on this side of The Pond, then I am happy to assist.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

Sure there is.  If I do not want to mess with new fangled tom-foolery, it does not matter how easy said whatchamacallits may be to use.  All I ask is a stock C64/1541 combo and a star to steer her by.

If you can't transfer a file to an SD card and plug in a cartridge and/or cable, then maybe a C-64 is too much to handle as well.

3 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

If you can't transfer a file to an SD card and plug in a cartridge and/or cable, then maybe a C-64 is too much to handle as well.

Oh, come on, Bill.  This is such a trite take on technology and I expect better of you.  There are plenty of nuances and complexities of modern technology which are not relevant to our retro computers, at least not until you introduce those modern technologies.  The mere existence of modern technology does not mandate its integrated coexistence with retro technology.  Sure, you can argue that bridges such as what I am doing to create a real floppy from an image counter this position, but does it really?  Is what I will do to create a floppy disk from an image any different from the software pressing houses of the day?  I might posit that this process is actually just a modernization of the same processes which were out of the reach of users in the day, simply by transitioning to a process which is out of reach of some of the remaining retro users of today.

Such a blanket statement as "you can't handle a C64 in 2022 if you can't handle current-year technology" is elitist in its premise.  You might as well say, "if you can't use an SD card and an SD2IEC then you cannot own a C64."  It reeks of the superiority and arrogance of the purist versus emulation crowds, and vice-versa.

Giving someone the friendly advice of an SD2IEC or something like an XU1541 is one thing.  But that statement stinks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bjonte said:

Don’t send the crack. It removes the background loading, which is a bit of a loss.

Good point.  Was this a commercial release?  I do not remember paying for it, but I am certain what I have is original.

EDIT: It is here: http://kollektivet.nu/brucelee2/

A free game.  There are cracks of a free game?  I assume this must mean trainers since there is no copy protection to crack.

8 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

Giving someone the friendly advice of an SD2IEC or something like an XU1541 is one thing.  But that statement stinks.

The idea that someone can't use one of the countless modern solutions to use image files is what stinks, but sure, let's mail floppy disks around because that's easier(?).

1 minute ago, Bill Loguidice said:

The idea that someone can't use one of the countless modern solutions to use image files is what stinks

Why does this offend your sensibilities?

1 minute ago, Bill Loguidice said:

but sure, let's mail floppy disks around because that's easier(?).

Why not?  Compel me.

2 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

For life in general I do agree with your original premise.....to paraphrase:

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"

I just asked for one damn game.  I've got two C-64s and 3 fully-working 1541's.  I requested one incredible conversion of an amazing sequel to one of the true classics.  I am in my early 50's and still get a thrill out of typing LOAD"*"8,1 on original hardware. I have hundreds of disks that to all of our astonishment still work perfectly after four decades.  I handle my C-64 gaming very well, thank you very much. 

I respect ALL of you guys that program, create, provide the diagnostics on problems, etc. for these old computers but this comment can simply suck it. 

Be better next time,

Ted

10 minutes ago, TeddyBear89 said:

For life in general I do agree with your original premise.....to paraphrase:

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"

I just asked for one damn game.  I've got two C-64s and 3 fully-working 1541's.  I requested one incredible conversion of an amazing sequel to one of the true classics.  I am in my early 50's and still get a thrill out of typing LOAD"*"8,1 on original hardware. I have hundreds of disks that to all of our astonishment still work perfectly after four decades.  I handle my C-64 gaming very well, thank you very much. 

I respect ALL of you guys that program, create, provide the diagnostics on problems, etc. for these old computers but this comment can simply suck it. 

Be better next time,

Ted

Look, let's be very clear here. I had no particular problem with what you asked for or said (I was responding to OLD CS1's negativity). I merely pointed out that the C-64 happens to have the most and easiest flash-based solutions for solving your particular issue of wanting to play a digital file on your real computer. Sure, it's just Bruce Lee II today, but what if it's something else tomorrow? Instead of having to ask for someone to make you a disk each and every time, why not invest in something that can help you love your C-64 even more?  I obviously don't care what you do, I was merely offering a suggestion. I'm also extremely sensitive to the difficulty of things as I deal with people who have little to no technical knowledge all of the time (as almost all of us do, I'm sure), but this is something literally anyone can handle. That's all I have to say on the subject. Good luck and I hope you're better next time too. It's a nice sentiment.

Edited by Bill Loguidice

2 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

There are cracks of a free game?

Yes. It is all about collecting "points" on the cracking scene. Every game released, free or not, protected or not, with or without source code, eventually ends up in a cracked and trained version. For the smallest games, the cracked version is 2-3 times the size and the only improvement is that a cheat mode is added. Every now and then crackers find a bug in the code and patch it though, so that is a plus.

Essentially anyone willing to write games for the C64 should realize or actually expect that their games will get cracked and posted on CSDb sooner or later. Anyone who would feel upset about that, reconsider your choice of platform and steer clear of the C64.

14 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I was responding to OLD CS1's negativity

Excuse me?  Exactly where was I negative?

Instead of having to ask for someone to make you a disk each and every time, why not invest in something that can help you love your C-64 even more?  I obviously don't care what you do, I was merely offering a suggestion.

That is NOT all that you said.  Bill, I have respected you and your work for a long time, and to see what you said in full took me aback.  Sure, you made the suggestion, but then you made the unambiguous claim that there is no reason to not implement a modern solution.  To which I disagreed.

I am genuinely interested in your thoughts on the matter.  Like jumping from the problem to the solution without showing your work, your comments obfuscate your thought process.  I would like to know what brings you to the your final conclusion that not knowing how, or lacking the ability to, use a modern SD solution with a Commodore 64 abdicates might revoke a person's right to use the machine.

EDIT: I changed a little wording above.  To be fair, you did not out-right say that you CANNOT use a C64 if you eschew modern technology. Thought easy to infer, that would not be technically correct.

The fact that I was inquiring about a SEVEN year old game could be evidence enough that if you feed this squirrel once, it likely won't come to your back door again.

Got plenty enough of technical knowledge on lots of other things - I just have no interest on these downloads, flashcarts, etc. as I have enough original gaming to last me until way past the time I shall kick it.

That said, here's to nice sentiments,

Ted

16 minutes ago, TeddyBear89 said:

The fact that I was inquiring about a SEVEN year old game could be evidence enough that if you feed this squirrel once, it likely won't come to your back door again.

Got plenty enough of technical knowledge on lots of other things - I just have no interest on these downloads, flashcarts, etc. as I have enough original gaming to last me until way past the time I shall kick it.

That said, here's to nice sentiments,

Ted

Great. As for my thought process about you inquiring about a SEVEN year old game, I offered my advice on the assumption that a person who inquires about a SEVEN year old game and wanting a floppy disk of it might not be aware that there are inexpensive and super easy to use flash-based solutions that will circumvent the disk issue. Using a flash-based solution doesn't stop you from using your existing disks or even making disks from digital images (which is also an option with many of those solutions). That's it. I was trying to be helpful. 

23 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

Excuse me?  Exactly where was I negative?

That is NOT all that you said.  Bill, I have respected you and your work for a long time, and to see what you said in full took me aback.  Sure, you made the suggestion, but then you made the unambiguous claim that there is no reason to not implement a modern solution.  To which I disagreed.

I am genuinely interested in your thoughts on the matter.  Like jumping from the problem to the solution without showing your work, your comments obfuscate your thought process.  I would like to know what brings you to the your final conclusion that not knowing how, or lacking the ability to, use a modern SD solution with a Commodore 64 abdicates might revoke a person's right to use the machine.

EDIT: I changed a little wording above.  To be fair, you did not out-right say that you CANNOT use a C64 if you eschew modern technology. Thought easy to infer, that would not be technically correct.

OK, let's put this silliness to bed. I'll try to be extra clear of my exact intentions. My implication was that just about ANYONE can use several of the truly super easy, plug and play solutions that allow you to use disk images on your C-64. A C-64 is relatively complex. Responding on a forum is relatively complex. If you can drag and drop some files on a computer, you can use a modern flash-based solution for the C-64, plug it in the back of said C-64, and play your game or games. That's it. I'm not insulting anyone, I'm not forcing an opinion on anyone, and I'm certainly not telling anyone what they should or should not do. I was trying to offer some encouragement that there are real, practical solutions that I'm confident anyone of any skill level (particularly one who, as I said, can ask a question on a forum and still operates a C-64) should have no trouble using. 

Now, if someone has a personal code of ethics against doing anything but using their C-64 exactly as it was used back in the day, sure, I get that. But if it's a question of being concerned about one's skill level or being intimidated by the technical challenge, I just wanted to point out that those are really non-issues. And for the record, the C-64 is truly one of the best supported classic platforms, so getting a flash-based solution opens up considerable possibility to sample the rest of the content that's not directly available on floppy disk (or tape or cartridge for that matter). Again, if someone doesn't want that option for reasons other than technical intimidation, great.

18 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Responding on a forum is relatively complex.

Relative to what?

If you can drag and drop some files on a computer, you can use a modern flash-based solution for the C-64, plug it in the back of said C-64, and play your game or games.

I can only assume you have never worked in tech support :D  I know some seriously smart people -- one a Nobel mathematician -- who can barely use a computer.  Competency in one technology does not necessarily mean competency in another technology.  Same with interest and desire.  This kind of thinking is what gets me, "Hey!  You run servers and networks; can you build me a web site or an app?"

19 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I'm not insulting anyone, I'm not forcing an opinion on anyone, and I'm certainly not telling anyone what they should or should not do.

While I believe you meant no insult, that was not the tenor.  There were two comments in play here that you seemingly either missed or ignored (apologies for the formatting; the AA editor does not allow quoting across thread pages and something broke here):

6 hours ago, TeddyBear89 said:

6 hours ago, TeddyBear89 said:

Total old-school fella here with no knowledge or inclination to use a downloading device.  I'm just seeking a way to get a fully-working game on a floppy.

4 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

It was made pretty clear there was no interest in alternative devices or tech, which you acknowledged with "you may not want to her this, but..." This is the first punch that threw me, as I have read you previously as being far better measured in response.  The second punch was you doubling-down to say that if you cannot use such devices then a C64 is probably out of your league.

I am not going to quote the rest of your response because, as I said, I believe you what you meant to post then what you are saying now.  Again why I was so taken aback.  My own eyes, however, as well two borrowed sets of eyes -- one of which knows almost nothing about our world -- read your posts as not encouraging but disparaging.

Please, this is not "silliness." Rather, this was an earnest critique of what appeared to be your thoughts on the matter.  This discussion has cleared things up and put things back into parity in my mind.  You do not know me, but I know at least something of you based upon your public work.  I would have preferred, and very much enjoyed, to have this conversation face-to-face as I think things could have been cleared up much more quickly and without any insult taken by anyone.