IGNORED

New Game Conversion: Bruce Lee II

landgraf

How cool!

I just read how the background loader will default to Kernal loading if it cannot automatically detect the kind of drive being used. Reads very similar to a Craig Bruce Commodore Hacking article discussing ACE and Zed. I wonder if the game uses the same or similar routines.

Rather the opposite, while loading you can do other things that are interrupt based. See for example all programs playing music while loading, some even had minigames for you to entertain yourself with while loading. The game may also load the next level while you're playing the current.

I sat next to the developer of this game in August 2014, and even at that early stage it was clear how precise the conversion was about to become. It also struck me how many helper routines and own cross development tools he has produced in his career, to aid and simplify the development process. I don't know which routines he may have borrowed, but I'd imagine select few if any, and instead developed most of it himself to perfection.

Since when can the C64 load in the background?

Rather the opposite, while loading you can do other things that are interrupt based. See for example all programs playing music while loading, some even had minigames for you to entertain yourself with while loading. The game may also load the next level while you're playing the current.

Especially when using burst mode. IRQ-based burst mode transfers can be quite fast.

I sat next to the developer of this game in August 2014, and even at that early stage it was clear how precise the conversion was about to become. It also struck me how many helper routines and own cross development tools he has produced in his career, to aid and simplify the development process. I don't know which routines he may have borrowed, but I'd imagine select few if any, and instead developed most of it himself to perfection.

I hope no one perceives me to imply he misappropriated anyone else's work, not my intention at all. Craig Bruce and others wrote some great, often ground-breaking articles in the 90s which they provided to the community for use by any and all, either directly or derivative.

Since when can the C64 load in the background?

Epyx' G.I. Joe did that in 1985 already, so since roundabout 30 years, I'd say. :)

I just read how the background loader will default to Kernal loading if it cannot automatically detect the kind of drive being used. Reads very similar to a Craig Bruce Commodore Hacking article discussing ACE and Zed. I wonder if the game uses the same or similar routines.

Ah, good old C=Hacking, lots of well written and easy to comprehend articles on assembly coding in there. :) I don't remember how Craig Bruce did it exactly, but afair today's common practice is to read out certain memory locations of the drive roms that are unique for each drive type, and my guess is that Bruce Lee 2 goes the same route.

Yes, I'm sure the scene has learned from earlier findings, but a lot of people tend to design their wheels according to their own liking than inserting ready-made wheels even if it is granted to be allowed to do so.

Heh, or in my case lack of awareness. I was not exposed to the old CH articles until much more recently. Back when I was programming on the 64 I was doing stuff all on my lonesome just using technical documents of the various equipment I was targeting. I have a couple of books on the Lt. Kernel and CMD HDs so I could write my BBS routines to access partitions and LUNs etc., though I have never owned one, as well as internals for the 1541, 1571, and 1581.

Unfortunately for now I only have access to Commodore via emulation, but very soon I will have my real 128D set back up so I can play this game for real. I used to play the original Bruce Lee for hours on end after a buddy introduced me to it.

Man, it just seems like there is far less time to "waste" today than 25 years ago.

Bruce Lee is one of my all-time favs on the C64.

Enjoyed the challenge and improvements provided by this sequel immensely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rdBTH_7_j4&list=PLIsV_UGq8zBghEWq7DOMt5LNtN2Cm0yy6&index=1

WARNING/SPOILER: The above is a complete playthrough...

SPOILER II:

You know the game kicks-ass when Chuck Norris is in it!

• Like 3

K, I did a long play-through tonight. Kewl game, and a worthy follow-up to the original, if perhaps a bit too similar.

Screen caps and videos in the spoiler section below:

Loved the Way Of The Dragon (Chuck Norris) and Game Of Death (Kareem Abdul Jabbar) references.

The game is hard in Original mode. There are very many pixel-perfect jumps. For now I played through with save states, but I'm not sure how far I'll get when I try it without cheating. Missing my Epyx joystick.

I took some screen caps:

Spiderman:

2e49tfs.jpg

Game Of Death:

1zb9ens.jpg

Way Of The Dragon:

2qx3nms.jpg

They even got the chest hair and the cat right.

Johnny Caged:

309ltv7.jpg

Final Boss (who is conveniently standing overtop a trapdoor with spikes below :)

ampeom.jpg

Edited by BillyHW

Jonas Hulten has just released an updated version where some bugs have been fixed and the level design was altered so that you can no longer get stuck and lose all your lives if you exit a certain screen the wrong way. Furthermore, he made a second cartridge version that uses the Magic Desk banking scheme, so if you happen to have a Magic Desk or compatible cart and an eprom-burner you can make your own physical Bruce Lee II cartridge :)

The link is the same as in the first post.

Oh, that cartridge idea is pretty cool. I have a SuperSpace II module for the TI that can be used for certain images (though it supports a pretty special form of banking,) and I am using it to prototype my games. I will have to look at the Magic Desk.

Off to download the latest version. So long as a certain VMware installation and a certain NAS kept in a certain un-cooled room do not blow a gasket this week, this weekend I might have to write it out to a real disk and play!

• 6 years later...

Shot in the dark here - any suggestions on how I could obtain this game on a 5.25" diskette to use with my 1541 drive?  Total old-school fella here with no knowledge or inclination to use a downloading device.  I'm just seeking a way to get a fully-working game on a floppy.

Sorry for the 7 year bump......not sure how I overlooked this incredible sequel to one of the greatest games

7 minutes ago, TeddyBear89 said:

Shot in the dark here - any suggestions on how I could obtain this game on a 5.25" diskette to use with my 1541 drive?  Total old-school fella here with no knowledge or inclination to use a downloading device.  I'm just seeking a way to get a fully-working game on a floppy.

Sorry for the 7 year bump......not sure how I overlooked this incredible sequel to one of the greatest games

This is not the answer you want, I know, but there are tons of super easy to use devices out there for the C-64 (some quite inexpensive and some super full featured and expensive, but either way, get the job done) that lets you play disk (and other images) with ease. Many are literally plug and play (you just have to put the file(s) on there to play). If you're into the C-64, there's no good reason not to get one.