IGNORED

The Atari interview discussion thread

Savetz

Let's go to Atari Summer Camp! A special episode of ANTIC.

Great Episode and wow, what a lot of work to write to a dozen "camp buddies from the past" and even more wow, even finding a mother and camp letters written in exchange for food next day....

Would I have loved to go to one of those? 100% The probability to get sent to the US to attend: <10%....

I have no idea how much summer camps charge in the US today but the prices seem steep even when compared to today's summer activities for kids here, even without taking into account a lot of inflation since 1982. If my kids asked for a camp like that I'd gasp....

Luckily the US family I visited to on a (cheaper) exchange program a couple of years later (and whom I am still in touch with) was an "Atari family" as well :)

• Like 1

We did have foreign kids both years I worked for the Camps. In addition to the one I mentioned in the interview, there were brothers from Korea who were at a session in Maryland. They were to return to Korea about the same time as the KAL007 shootdown. Every so often I look through the names, and none jump out at me, so I don't think they were on that flight. The following year we an older teen from southern South America (I think Argentina, as Argentina had been in the news a lot in the recent past in 1984) and a ten year old girl who was the daughter of an actor and a beauty queen in Columbia or Venezuela. That last does go toward your point about the cost of the camps being a bit self-selecting at times.

National Computer Camps (which dates back to 1977) indicates that their tuition is about $1100 per week. And inflation calculator I just visited suggests that the costs relative to inflation have stayed the same.

Ed Rotberg, Rotberg Synthesizer

Ed Rotberg worked programmer in Atari’s coin-op division, where he worked on Atari Baseball, Battlezone, Blasteroids, Hard Drivin’, and other coin-op games. He consulted for the Atari consumer side, where he created demos for the Atari 800 — including working on the music for the in-store demo — and the Rotberg Synthesizer music software.
Check the show notes atAtariPodcast.com for downloads of the Rotberg Synthesizer and Rotberg Scrolling Marquee software (which I acquired and uploaded toarchive.org after this interview took place.)
This interview took place April 28, 2015.
Teaser quote:
“My good friend Dan Pliskin wrote a tune called Disco Dirge that we programmed into the earliest version of the Rotberg Synthesizer to play at the bachelor party, as kind of a joke. Because Chris who was getting married was a disco fan, he was a disco buff and we all *hated* disco.”
Joe Villalobos, Materials Planner for Atari
Boxes! Your Atari computers and game cartridges came in boxes! Someone was responsible for producing those boxes. Joe was the guy.
Joe Villalobos was materials planner at Atari in El Paso, Texas from 1980 – 1982. He was responsible for the planning and expediting of materials used in the production of video game cartridges.
This interview took place on May 6, 2015.
  • Like 2

Ron Milner, Atari Engineer at Cyan Engineering

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-74-ron-milner-atari-engineer-at-cyan-engineering

This is an interview episode of Antic, the Atari 8-bit podcast. I’m Randy Kindig and in this interview I sat down with one of the members of the core design team at Cyan Engineering for such projects as the Atari 2600 and the 8-bit computers, Mr. Ron Milner.

Ron is currently President of Applied Design Laboratories, but from 1973-1984, as an employee of Atari Inc, he worked at the Grass Valley Think Tank (also known as Cyan Engineering) where they did some amazing stuff, as you’ll hear in this interview. Ron was involved in many pivotal technologies in video games and home computers and was co-inventor of the Atari 2600 video game system.

This interview took place on May 16, 2015.

Teaser Quotes

“Our group worked on just a lot of other projects relating to the home computer line.”

“You know, it didn’t have to work, but if it looked like it might we looked into it.”

“This is Ron Milner and I was one of the early Atari engineers at Atari’s secret think tank in the mountains pioneering many of the projects with my associates and you’re listening to the Antic podcast.”

Links

Ron’s Web Site

Atari's Cyan Engineering - Splendor in the Grass documentary

Edited by rkindig
  • Like 2

@Paolo — transcripts of a few of interviews are at http://computingpioneers.com— and we're working on adding more. But creating transcripts is expensive ($1 per minute of audio), so you won't see them appear nearly as fast as the audio interviews. I hesitate to ask for donations for transcripts, so am funding it myself as funds allow.

I have to agree with Bryan, above.

Clearly, many people who have a historical context with Atari computers DO NOT seem to share the nostalgia with which many of us view these vintage computers. "People still use Atari computers???" Yeah, but not as their "main" computers. Only an idiot would think that.

People "use" vintage computers much as collectors of other things (vintage TVs for example, or as Bryan suggested, vintage cars) AS A HOBBY.

It's always interesting to hear from A8 moguls (those of whom are still alive, and willing to be interviewed), but it's clear that the A8 machine meant little-or-nothing to many of them, either at the time (years ago), and especially now. It seems like they're flabbergasted to learn that a few "idiots" are "still using" the A8, as opposed to the reality that retro-hobbyists are *actually* using the A8 alongside modern machines, in a resurgence of retro-computing that they don't seem to understand, at all.

That's fine. Retro-computing isn't for everybody, just as retro-automobilia isn't for everyone, and retro-whatever isn't for everyone. Let's just hope that they don't think we're all idiots, still using AtariWriter. We're just nostalgic about the machines (much as there is nostalgia for many other time-specific icons), and with a small dose of modern technology (SIO2PC, Sdrive, SIO2SD, U1MB/Side, etc.) childhood dreams can become reality right away, for those who embrace nostalgia.

That may be the attitude of some of them but I think people like Jerry Jessop, Dan Kramer, and Keithen Hayienga view it with pride that people still care, still play/use and develop for these systems. They've had a blast at the Davis/Sunnyvale Atari Parties held in the past few years. And that's not counting the others I've forgotten to note, or those that also go to the other gaming cons, whether "retro" in focus or not.

• Like 1

I think to them it was just a job that they had back in the 80's. They have gone on to more exciting things since then and really don't have time to play with old stuff.

Depends. A lot of the ex-Atari people - at least with Atari Inc - think the place was special just like, say, Google of the modern era. Hard, if not impossible, to replicate.

Edited by Lynxpro

Steve Davis, Director of Advanced Research

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-75-steve-davis-director-of-advanced-research

Steve Davis worked in Atari’s advanced research lab under Alan Kay, for 5 or 6 years, where he worked on several skunkworks projects including a laserdisc player controlled by an Atari 800,an Atari 800-based local area network, and artificial intelligence projects.

This interview occurred May 11, 2015.

Teaser quote:

“I winded around the building, there was nobody there. ... I opened up this one door and there was, like, hundreds of people partying. With party hats on. I called the guy in New York and said ‘This doesn’t look good.’”

• Like 1

I would volunteer to do that as well. It would get me back in the habit of writing on this sabbatical . . .

Great! We're going to try this, in the interest of getting more transcriptions, faster.

If you want to transcribe an interview yourself, email me with a list of two interview subjects that interest you. (In case one is already taken.) I'll assign it to you.

If you have more money than time, I'll accept donations. You can specify which interview you want done. My cost is $1 per minute of audio, so a 60 minute interview is $60.

Either way, if you transcribe or donate for an interview, I will extol your virtues for a full 60 seconds at least, on a future episode of the ANTIC podcast. Woo!

-Kevin

I'd be interested in an interview with Dave and Jennifer Troy from Toad Computers if you get the chance. I know they sold off the company during its ISP days and have continued to do great things. Dave has even done a couple of TED Talks. Jennifer is involved in Chesapeake Bay charity work.

It would be interesting to see how owning an Atari dealership has shaped their lives. I believe they were about 20 years old when they opened the store.

• Like 1

I'd be interested in an interview with Dave and Jennifer Troy from Toad Computers if you get the chance. I know they sold off the company during its ISP days and have continued to do great things. Dave has even done a couple of TED Talks. Jennifer is involved in Chesapeake Bay charity work.

It would be interesting to see how owning an Atari dealership has shaped their lives. I believe they were about 20 years old when they opened the store.

I'm on it. It looks like they sold Atari ST computers in the dealership rather than 8-bits, unless I'm mistaken. However, I'd be happy to interview them and if it's not very 8-bit related I can air it on Floppy Days rather than Antic.

thanks for the suggestion!

Randy

I'm on it. It looks like they sold Atari ST computers in the dealership rather than 8-bits, unless I'm mistaken. However, I'd be happy to interview them and if it's not very 8-bit related I can air it on Floppy Days rather than Antic.

thanks for the suggestion!

Randy

Certainly more ST, TT, Lynx, Falcon, and Jaguar centered. But they did have 130XE's in the shop as well.

Tim McGuinness, Atari Senior Research Engineer and Founder of ROMOX

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-76-tim-mcguinness

Tim McGuinness was a Hardware Design Engineer in Atari’s Personal Computer Division in 1980 and 1981, then moved to become Senior Research Engineer/Assistant Director of Corporate Research Engineering through 1982. Tim was co-developer of 400, 800, and 1200XL computers and peripherals. He was also the initial architect and designer of the first version of the Amiga computer. He left Atari in 1982 to co-found Romox, a software publisher that had a unique software distribution system where you could load new software onto cartridges using an in-store kiosk.

This interview took place on May 23, 2015.

Teaser quotes:

“Personal computer division was a toxic environment ... I had a taken a prototype that we had been working on over to the research division, because I was going to show Alan Kay. And I come back with the unit and I’m being threatened with arrest.”

“Michael Jackson spent a couple of days at our facility in Campbell to help us with the digitization of things like Beat It.”

“Talking to the Tramiels. Sam was pretty rational, his brother was insane, and the old man was just an asshole.”