IGNORED

The Atari interview discussion thread

Savetz

Youth Advisory Board: Yoon Park

This is the sixth (and final, at least for now) in a series of episodes featuring interviews with the kids of Atari's Youth Advisory Board. This time, I got to talk with Yoon Park.
In 1983, Atari formed a Youth Advisory Board, selecting teenagers from around the United States to share their opinions about computers and video games, test software, and promote Atari's computers at events. The group consisted of kids aged 14 through 18, including Yoon.
Before these interviews, I like to read from an old newspaper or magazine article that mentioned or quoted the Youth Advisory Board member, to give a sense of who that person was then before we hear from them today. All I can guess about Yoon of 1982 was that he was shy. Of the twenty Youth Advisory Board members, Yoon was never quoted or mentioned in the articles that I could find.
This interview took place on May 17, 2018.
  • Like 2

Charlie Kulas: Musical Pilot, UpN Down

Charlie Kulas published Musical Pilot, an educational game, through Atari Program Exchange. Musical Pilot first appeared in the fall 1983 APX catalog, where it was awarded third prize in the Learning category. He later worked at McT (AKA Microcomputer Technologies), a company that was contracted to program games by Sega. There he programmed the game UpN Down for the Atari 8-bit computers.
This interview took place on April 20, 2018.
  • Like 4

Mike Sandau, Atari-CB Radio Hacking

In the mid-1980s, Mike Sandau and his friend connected their Atari 8-bit computers to their citizens band radios to create a small radio-telephone computer network. Their "DIALOG" project combined the radio hardware with custom software (first in Atari BASIC, then later in Action!) to allow chatting, broadcasting messages, and binary file transfers over the air.
Mike has uploaded the software, source code, and screenshots to the Internet Archive, and placed it in the public domain.
This interview took place on April 26, 2018.
  • Like 6

Mike Sandau, Atari-CB Radio Hacking

In the mid-1980s, Mike Sandau and his friend connected their Atari 8-bit computers to their citizens band radios to create a small radio-telephone computer network. Their "DIALOG" project combined the radio hardware with custom software (first in Atari BASIC, then later in Action!) to allow chatting, broadcasting messages, and binary file transfers over the air.
Mike has uploaded the software, source code, and screenshots to the Internet Archive, and placed it in the public domain.
This interview took place on April 26, 2018.

Sounds a lot like what we call packet radio in the ham radio world. We're still limited to using 300 to 9600 baud rates (depending on the band), so we could probably still use Atari computers for it today. I may have to take a look at this. :)

• Like 4

Larry Breakwell, Toronto Atari Programmers Society

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-349-larry-breakwell-toronto-atari-programmers-society

Larry Breakwell was founder of the Toronto West Atari Computer Support Group, then president of the Toronto Atari Programmers Society, which was the largest Atari user group in Canada.

He adapted the Atari version of the book "Academy on Computers Hands-On Atari 400/800 Beginner's Manual" from a version of the book focused on the Commodore PET. These beginners manuals were part of the Academy on Computers, a self-directed learning activity based on "Bits and Bytes", a television program produced by the TVOntario network.

This interview took place on May 10, 2018.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Allan Moose, Atari Assembly Language Programmer's Guide

Allan Moose was co-author of the book Atari Assembly Language Programmer's Guide, which was published by Weber Systems in 1986. He wrote the book with his wife and writing partner, Marian Lorenz. She passed away in 1992. The two also wrote many articles for Antic and A.N.A.L.O.G. Computing magazines. Their articles included many about display list interrupts and vertical blank interrupts, and pretty mathematical graphics routines.
This interview took place on May 12, 2018.
"...pretty much a joint, cooperative effort in writing articles. Sometimes I would have an idea and would sketch something out. Other times Marian would have an idea."
  • Like 3

Charlie Kulas: Musical Pilot, UpN Down

Charlie Kulas published Musical Pilot, an educational game, through Atari Program Exchange. Musical Pilot first appeared in the fall 1983 APX catalog, where it was awarded third prize in the Learning category. He later worked at McT (AKA Microcomputer Technologies), a company that was contracted to program games by Sega. There he programmed the game UpN Down for the Atari 8-bit computers.
This interview took place on April 20, 2018.

In the latest Antic podcast, Kevin mentioned there was interest in OCR'ing the listings provided. I already did the Up 'N' Down listing, so I'm attaching it for those who want it. I started a guided disassembly of the released cartridge based on it, but given that there is a later listing Kevin hopes to post, I'll revisit that when that becomes available.

UpNDown1.zip

• Like 6

In the latest Antic podcast, Kevin mentioned there was interest in OCR'ing the listings provided. I already did the Up 'N' Down listing, so I'm attaching it for those who want it. I started a guided disassembly of the released cartridge based on it, but given that there is a later listing Kevin hopes to post, I'll revisit that when that becomes available.

That's great news, @Atari_Ace. Thanks! I'll try to get the other one scanned later this week.

-Kevin

Stephen Romejko: APX Melt-Down, Moon Marauder

Stephen Romejko published two games through Atari Program Exchange: Melt-Down and Moon Marauder. Melt-Down was first available in the winter 1982-1983 APX catalog. Moon Marauder was first available in the fall 1983 APX catalog, where it won third prize in the consumer category.
This interview took place on April 14, 2018.
"Melt-Down was causing some special issues ... Apparently the American Nuclear Society took offense to it. ... 'People would develop harmful misconceptions and phobias about the peaceful use of nuclear power.'"
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Joe Hellesen: Deluxe Invaders, Pac Man, PQ: The Party Quiz Game

Joe Hellesen programmed the Atari 8-bit versions of Deluxe Invaders (published by Roklan), and Pac Man (published by Atari,) Gyruss (published by Parker Brothers), and Mickey in the Great Outdoors (published by Disney.) He also coded PQ: The Party Quiz Game (for SunCom.)
  • Like 5

Joe Hellesen: Deluxe Invaders, Pac Man, PQ: The Party Quiz Game

Joe Hellesen programmed the Atari 8-bit versions of Deluxe Invaders (published by Roklan), and Pac Man (published by Atari,) Gyruss (published by Parker Brothers), and Mickey in the Great Outdoors (published by Disney.) He also coded PQ: The Party Quiz Game (for SunCom.)

PacMan and Gyruss - now that's an impressive resume for early Atari!

• Like 2

Joe Helleson could sit down and type in invaders from memory, with slight different variations on request and do it in short order! One of the best!

CompuPro S-100 based CP/M machines, ROM simulator, M-disk(ram disk), 8 inch Drives, Critical connection, OSS, various other software, and an Atari or two with sio drives 5.25 was the environment... the CP/M machines were networked and also had hard drives... depending on what your focus was there would be any number of other machines on the desk, apple, ti, vic 20, commie, 2600, 5200, various Atari, intellivision,and eventually x86's

If Joe can dig up the equipment and his disks, we can certainly pull the data from it, As you are aware I still have some of the original office and s-100 equipment etc... I may not have the modified 810/1050 and related software.. but I do have the most of the rest of it... if he wanted to send it I would do what I could with it so he wouldn't have to spend any real time on it.

uh oh...

ron interview...

Fatal error: Call to a member function getDocument() on null in /www/libsyn/library4/Libsyn/Item.php on line 138

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

Looking forward to these new episodes. The assembler book written Alan Moose is on my shelf next to my Atari setup and I'm always iinterested in those from people who have created the games :thumbsup:

Kevin if you get time can you message me the email addresses for Charlie Kulas (347) and Orson Scott Card (323) as I'd like to contact them.

Thanks

Jason

Dennis Koble: APX Avalanche, Imagic

Dennis Koble was an early Atari employee, where we would become manager of the computer and consumer divisions. He designed Atari's "Touch Me" handheld electronic game. He also wrote three programs that were published by Atari Program Exchange: Avalanche, an adaption of the coin-op game which he also created; and the text adventure games Chinese Puzzle and Sultan's Palace.
He was at Atari for about 4 1/2 years before leaving to co-found the video game publisher Imagic. There, he was perhaps best known for creating "Atlantis" for the Atari 2600 (which we don't actually talk about in this interview.)
This interview took place on May 15, 2018. A video version of this interview is available.
"We had to show our best stuff. And we wanted to show technological tricks that we figured the Activision guys hadn't seen before. I don't know if they felt that rivalry toward us at that point, but it became a rivalry a little later, it really did."
  • Like 3

Bloody hell.

I'm just browsing this thread for ideas of which interviews etc to check out and only 11 pages in and i am utterly,utterly gobsmacked.

You have people i cannot wait to hear talking about their past work...

Atari UK names i never hear mentioned..Anthony Jones..

Mike Wilding (Thanks Mclaneinc)

This month's RG has a feature the on Real Sports games on the 2600, you interviewed a coder way back at start of 2015.

Ditto Bill Hogue done years before they spoke to him.

You've already explained why A8 games lacked the speech of their C64 counterparts..

I've seen Jack Tramiel described as an asshole.. one of his sons as insane..

I don't know whether to keep looking at bookmarking folks of interest or to pause and bask in what you shared in just the first 11 pages..

But bloody hell indeed this is LEGENDARY Atari coverage.

• Like 3

Jumped straight in today.

Bruce Poehlman was a great listen.

Anthony Jones Atari UK General Manager is a superb listen.

Never seen him interviewed anywhere and great to hear his memories and the fact he references the railway station promotional events and just how different UK and US retailers were and how different approaches were needed.

Also Atari knowing the UK Market.

When the Atari 400/800 range, along with the XEGS has been covered by UK Press like RG in the past, the differences between the retail sectors hasn't been explained as well as he does.

A bloody fantastic interview and so, so refreshing to hear.

Started reading through a few of the interview transcripts. ..

Bob Polin interview was great, pity he wasn't pushed a little on Blue Max 2001..

It was a massive dissapointment to myself and others, espically after the brilliance of the original. .

Rebecca Heineman made for fantastic reading..

Conversion of Racing Destruction to A8 from the C64 and the comprises that had to be made.

Developers not liking idea of having to use Falcon computers to develop on the Jaguar..

But this passage stood out the most for myself:

"... I've also heard even back then that the numbers of Atari consoles that were being sold was grossly inflated. Like we would ask Atari how many they sold they would say, oh year we sold a couple million, but then we look at the stores an the stores would say yeah we sold like a couple but these Commodore 64s are flying off the shelves and of course our software sales reflected it. The Atari version of Racing Destruction Set, we sold maybe three thousand copies. M.U.L.E. didn't fare much better. It sold maybe four, five thousand copies and most where as on the Commodore it sold easily ten times this number, I'm talking about Racing Destruction Set, so on the Commodore they just prefer, who was, who was it Freefall, who was the actual group, Paul Reshee I think it was, that the group that did Racing Destruction Set made most of their royalties from the C64 version. We sold enough copies of the Atari version to just pay for the port, but there was no profits at all for the original developers, there was no royalties for me or Interplay, so as a result the enthusiasm for doing more ports, like after we get Mind Shadow for the Atari we sold a few thousand and that was it. Whereas again Apple II we sold something like about fifty thousand copies. So it made it so that putting all the money and effort and energy into developing a game it really didn't pay."

I'm loving the work you have put in on these...just loving it.

• Like 1

Let's not talk of welding. My grandfather, dad, and I have done many many years of arc welding of some sort. Grandfather died of cancer, Dad somehow survided stage 4 head & neck cancer as well as surviving 4 strokes. I try to not think of what lies ahead for me in 20 years. If I make 65, I'm doing good for this family.

Only just seen this.

Spent 1st 11 years of my working life as a MIG and TIG welder.

Got out in time hopefully..

• Like 1

It's so good to see that Dennis Koble has been interviewed; I've been hoping to hear it!

Have attempts been made to interview Bill Haslacher or Steve Wright for the ANTIC podcast?

Bill: no, but I'll consider it. Steve Wright seems to be mostly 2600, so not my thing.

-Kevin

Brooke Alderson, Atari TV Commercials

Brooke Alderson was an actor in the 1980s and 1990s: she appeared in several television shows including Murder, She Wrote and Family Ties; and is perhaps best known for her role as Aunt Corene in the 1980 film Urban Cowboy. She also appeared in many TV commercials. She did a 30-second spot for Atari home computers, and was featured on Atari's in-store point-of-purchase laserdisc.

In the commercial, Brooke played the part of a mom who is teased by her teenage daughter for not knowing the states and capitals. By the end of the commercial, having learned from her Atari 400 computer, she can quickly and correctly name the capitals.

On the Electronic Retail Information Center (E.R.I.C.) laserdisc, Brooke also played the part of a mom who extolls the virtues of Atari's educational software, with an emphasis on Scram, the nuclear power plant simulation; and My First Alphabet, software for teaching letters and numbers to small children.

This interview took place on July 2, 2018.

post-803-0-00238800-1532378567_thumb.jpg

• Like 1