IGNORED

The Atari interview discussion thread

Savetz

Atari at the Science Fair: Mark Knutsen, Star Cluster

This is the third in a series of interviews called "Atari at the Science Fair" where I talk with people who used Atari 8-bit computers to create projects and enter them in science fairs.

Today's interview is with Mark Knutsen, who wrote a star cluster simulation in the Forth programming language for his high school science fair. I found this blurb in the July 1986 edition of the Jersey Atari Computer Group newsletter:

"June meeting highlights ... Mark Knutsen showed us his Star Cluster program in Forth that won a science fair prize for him. Mark’s program demonstrates the interaction of four stars in two planes. Mark also discussed Forth in general."

This interview took place on August 21, 2021. If you'd like to see our talking heads — and the visuals of his program running — a video version of this interview is available at YouTube and Internet Archive. Mark has shared his program and the source code: those links are in the show notes.

This interview at YouTube

• Like 3

Jeffrey Sarnoff, Atari Research Group
https://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-425-jeffrey-sarnoff-atari-research-group

Jeffrey Sarnoff started at Atari in the home computer division in 1981 as a software architect, where he worked on a 3-D graphics library. The next year he moved to Atari's Research Group, under Alan Kay, where he worked on a holographic animation system and a 4-dimensional strategy game. This interview took place on August 25, 2021.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Eric Podietz, Interactive Picture Systems
https://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-426-eric-podietz-interactive-picture-systems

Eric Podietz was co-founder of Interactive Picture Systems, a company that created software for 8-bit computers from 1982 through 1984. The company's first program was PAINT! for the Atari 8-bits, which was developed at the Superboots software development lab located at the Capital Children's Museum in Washington, D.C.. PAINT! was first published by Reston then by Atari.

Their next program was Movie Maker, an animation program. Next came three educational titles published by Spinnaker Software: Trains, a business simulation; Grandma's House, a digital dollhouse; and Aerobics, a fitness program. The company also created Operation Frog, simulated frog dissection software for the Apple II and Commodore 64.

This interview took place on September 9, 2021. In it, we discuss Guy Nouri, Ann Lewin-Benham, and Bill Bowman, whom I have previously interviewed.

After the interview, Eric sent me the source code for his early Apple II program Painter Power, which I scanned and uploaded to Internet Archive.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Margaret (Akin) Guilbault, Atari Camper
https://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-427-margaret-akin-guilbault-atari-camper

Margaret Akin was one of the children who attended Atari's computer camps, and one of the kids who was featured in The Magic Room, Atari's movie about the camps. Her name is now Margaret Guilbault.

Atari ran its summer camps from 1982 through 1984 at several locations around the United States. That first year, Atari commissioned a film about its summer camps, which was filmed at the San Diego location. Margaret attended Atari camp that first year in San Diego, then again in 1983 the Minnesota location.

It turns out Margaret's first year at a computer camp was in 1981, the summer before Atari's first camps. Her first computer camp experience was at Zaca Lake -- near Santa Barbara, California -- hosted by a company called Computer Camp Inc., which used Atari computers.

I talked with Margaret about her experiences at those camps, and taking part in the filming of The Magic Room, on September 12, 2021.

You can watch The Magic Room at YouTube and Internet Archive. In previous interviews I've talked with filmmaker Bob Elfstrom; Linda (Gordon) Brownstein, the Atari vice president who oversaw the camp project; and other Atari computer campers.

• Like 4

Dave Johnson: Demon Attack, Atlantis; APX Lookahead; Personal Financial Management
https://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-428-dave-johnson-demon-attack-atlantis-apx-lookahead-atari-personal-financial-management-system

Dave Johnson programmed software for the little-known Interact Model One computer, and later worked as  a programmer for Atari, where he created the game Lookahead, which was published by Atari Program Exchange. Lookahead is a fun little strategy board game that you can play against the computer or another human.

We think Dave Johnson programmed the Atari Personal Financial Management System, a slick-looking but buggy home finance package that Atari kept delaying, finally released a year late, then quickly discontinued. Read Bill Lange's blog post for the full story about that program.

After Atari, Dave worked at Imagic, where he programmed the Atari 8-bit versions of the games Demon Attack and Atlantis. There, he also created the game Quick Step! for the Atari 2600.

This interview took place on October 12, 2021. A video version is also available.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2021 at 9:33 AM, tschak909 said:

I tried to apply for anything at VPRI just to get around him, was summarily ignored. oh well.

-Thom

I was turned down both by Atari and Intellivision in 1982, when I just graduated BSEE. I think I screwed up the interview, which I tend to do with jobs I actually want..

• Like 3

On 10/23/2021 at 3:15 PM, Savetz said:

Dave Johnson: Demon Attack, Atlantis; APX Lookahead; Personal Financial Management
https://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-428-dave-johnson-demon-attack-atlantis-apx-lookahead-atari-personal-financial-management-system

Dave Johnson programmed software for the little-known Interact Model One computer,

Wow, someone else remembers that computer!  They were HQed near where I grew up but I didn't find out about them until years and years after the crash.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Maury Markowitz said:

Does anyone recall which episode featured the detail on the 810's 6507? I seem to recall Atari bough the cast-offs that didn't run at 500 kHz for something under $1 a piece, but I can't recall who stated this.

https://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-177-steve-smith-antic-chip

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2015 at 4:03 PM, Savetz said:

Kevin Hayes, Atari Games Ireland

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/kevin-hayes-atari-games-ireland

On this interview episode, we take a trip to Ireland, and to the coin-op side of Atari. Kevin Hayes was Controller for Atari Irerland Ltd. in 1978, then became manufacturing director. Later he moved to California where he was VP of Manufacturing for Atari Games, then vice president of Operations.

This interview was recorded December 7, 2015.

Teaser quote:

"They had goats grazing on our property, and ... he killed one of their goats, he slaughtered it. ... the owner of the goat came on the property and wanted to be compensated for it."

Just found this one on YT. 

Can't wait to listen to it. 

One thing that really annoyed me as a subscriber to Retrogamer Magazine, was  that whilst they'd do plenty of articles on Atari (Coin-op side and home systems), we never had a feature on Atari Ireland. 

I wanted to hear new insights by new voices on all things Atari. 

Yet they constantly seemed to fall back on the same, well covered ground and same voices.. 

Darryl Still.. 

Yet you reached Anthony Jones, Atari UK General Manager (and what a superb interview that was)... 

Chuck Peavy if it covered the Atari 8-bit range. 

I also spotted  you've got Bruce Poehiman (Last Starfighter/Star Raiders II) on YT. 

Looks like it's going to be an Atari day for myself today. 

Really loving your work, shame you weren't used as a major resource by them ?

Edited by Lostdragon
  • Like 1

Jack Verson: Action Quest, Ghost Encounters, Journey to the Planets, Gyruss

Jack Verson was the founder of JV Software, where he programmed and published several games for the Atari 8-bit computers: Action Quest, Ghost Encounters, and Journey to the Planets. Roklan Software repackaged Action Quest and Ghost Encounters into a single game, titled Castle Hassle.

As part of On-Time Software, Jack programmed the Atari versions of Gyruss, James Bond 007, and perhaps other games, published by Parker Brothers. He ported the Atari 8-bit version of Joust to the Commodore 64. As Applied Systems Engineering, he programmed Time Tunnel for Commodore 64.

This interview took place on December 2, 2021.

Audio: https://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-429-jack-verson-action-quest-ghost-encounters-journey-to-the-planets-gyruss

YouTube: https://youtu.be/qsUgbY6VRRM

Edited by Savetz
  • Like 4

Action Quest was the first 3rd party software I bought for my 400/410 in the summer of 1982.  The packaging may have been smaller than the other software on the shelf, but the artwork Jack had commissioned was great.  It's what caught my eye in the store.

A great game I enjoyed a lot.  When I bought an 810 that fall, I sent the tape to JV software at 3090 Mark Ave in Santa Clara and Jack kindly mailed me back a disk.

A great interview...wonderful to see the faces behind those early years.

aq.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Savetz said:

Jack Verson: Action Quest, Ghost Encounters, Journey to the Planets, Gyruss

Jack Verson was the founder of JV Software, where he programmed and published several games for the Atari 8-bit computers: Action Quest, Ghost Encounters, and Journey to the Planets. Roklan Software repackaged Action Quest and Ghost Encounters into a single game, titled Castle Hassle.

As part of On-Time Software, Jack programmed the Atari versions of Gyruss, James Bond 007, and perhaps other games, published by Parker Brothers. He ported the Atari 8-bit version of Joust to the Commodore 64. As Applied Systems Engineering, he programmed Time Tunnel for Commodore 64.

This interview took place on December 2, 2021.

Audio: https://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-429-jack-verson-action-quest-ghost-encounters-journey-to-the-planets-gyruss

YouTube: https://youtu.be/qsUgbY6VRRM

I suspected he converted Joust for C64 directly from the Atari 8-bit version based on the source and data I discovered. 

9 hours ago, Tempest said:

So Jack mentioned Mr. Do's Castle in the interview but didn't say if he was the programmer for it or not (or which version it was).  Does anyone know if he programmed either the 2600 or 8-bit/5200 version?

Jack never programmed anything for the 2600.  My bet would be he worked on the Atari 8-bit version. 

53 minutes ago, Dutchman2000 said:

Jack never programmed anything for the 2600.  My bet would be he worked on the Atari 8-bit version. 

Good to know.  But did he actually program it or just mention it?  I didn't actually listen to the interview.