IGNORED

The Atari interview discussion thread

Savetz

Charles Clinton, Atarilab

Charles Clinton was a contractor who worked on AtariLab, which was developed at Swarthmore College.
This interview took place on August 14, 2016 at Vintage Computer Festival West XI. In it, we discuss Priscilla Laws, whom I previously interviewed.
Paul Berker: Adventure in Time and Birth of the Phoenix
Paul Berker was a programmer for Phoenix Software, where he coded Birth of the Phoenix and Adventure In Time, which were both released for the Apple II and Atari 8-bit computers; and Queen of Phobos, which was released on the Apple II only.
This interview took place on September 30, 2016. After the interview, Paul sent me several floppy disks with the Apple II and Atari source code for Birth of the Phoenix and Adventure In Time.
"Got an advance of like $2,000, and spent it all just acquiring an Atari 800 with two floppy drives..."
Dale Lemke, Compu-Cable Systems
Dale Lemke is founder of Compu-Cable Systems, a company that created the SpectraView and SpectraView II Graphic Generator Cartridge, information display systems for use by television stations and cable companies, which ran on Atari 8-bit computers.
The company is still in business: today it is called Display Systems International, it specializes in character generators and television program listings.
This interview took place October 18, 2016.
"We had an Atari in Trump's Castle in New Jersey for a while ... We had an Atari in Museum of History in Chicago — they were using it with their ticket kiosks."
Edited by Savetz
  • Like 2

Bev and Bryan Wilkinson, Optimized Systems Software

Bev and Bryan Wilkinson were part of Optimized Systems Software, the company that brought DOS XL, Mac/65, Action!, BASIC XL, BASIC XE, and other products to Atari computer users.
Bill Wilkinson was founder of OSS. Bev was his wife, and Bryan his son. I interviewed Bill in December, 2014, and he died in November 2015. As a small family-owned business, Bev and Bryan were involved with the day-to-day running of the company.
This interview took place on September 25, 2016 in my dining room in Portland, Oregon.
"And Bill would carry these tomes, books to the bathroom with him, and he'd read these books in the bathroom. I said 'Why are you doing that in the bathroom?' He said, 'It's the only room in the house that has a lock on the door.'"
Photos, brochures, and art from OSS: https://archive.org/details/OptimizedSystemsSoftware
Complete collection of Bill Wilkinson articles: https://archive.org/details/BillWilkinsonArticles
  • Like 6

Steve Panak, Game Reviewer

Steve Panak was a prolific writer of Atari computer game reviews. He wrote the Panak Strikes! column in A.N.A.L.O.G. Computing magazine, and also wrote reviews for Antic magazine and ST-Log magazine.
This interview took place on November 28, 2016.
"Companies were just sending me games to review there at the end, so I was just getting buried in games."
  • Like 2

Bruce Frumker: APX Memory Match, Cleveland Museum of Natural History

Bruce Frumker is author of Memory Match, a memory game that was published by Atari Program Exchange. It was first available in the winter 1982-1983 APX catalog. As part of his job at the Cleveland Museum of Natural History, Bruce created interactive, laser-disc based exhibits that used Atari 8-bit computers. He wrote an article about that project, "An Atari-based Interactive Laser Videodisc System", which appeared in the March 1989 issue of A.N.A.L.O.G. Computing magazine. Bruce was also co-founder of the Atari Computer Enthusiasts of Cleveland.
This interview took place on September 15, 2016.
"...Sounds really Rube Goldberg, but the thing worked and it produced a series of exhibits that visitors enjoyed ... all controlled by the Atari."
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Wynn Smith, Mosaic Electronics

Wynn Smith was co-founder of Mosaic Electronics, a company that produced memory upgrade cards for the Atari 400 and 800 computers, as well as the Commodore 64 and VIC-20. He started at Tektronix, where be wrote code for the OEM graphics division at the age of 17. After Mosaic, he worked on memory upgrades for Intel.
This interview took place on December 27, 2016.
"It became obvious to me that if you put the wrong boards in the wrong order, not only do they not work, but there's a danger of blowing out some chips."
  • Like 4

Wynn Smith, Mosaic Electronics

Wynn Smith was co-founder of Mosaic Electronics, a company that produced memory upgrade cards for the Atari 400 and 800 computers, as well as the Commodore 64 and VIC-20. He started at Tektronix, where be wrote code for the OEM graphics division at the age of 17. After Mosaic, he worked on memory upgrades for Intel.
This interview took place on December 27, 2016.
"It became obvious to me that if you put the wrong boards in the wrong order, not only do they not work, but there's a danger of blowing out some chips."

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/226787-mosaic-newsletters/?hl=%2Bmosaic+%2Bnewsletter&do=findComment&comment=3015852

I need to put these on Archive.org. Maybe he has some more of these newsletters.

Allan

• Like 1

by Randy!:

Ben Smith, Atari sales and service

This interview is part of the set of interviews we’ve done where we talk to many of the people still out there providing hardware, software, and/or support for our favorite computer. This interview is with Ben Smith, of Bravo Sierra Computers. As you will hear during the interview, Ben has been in the business of selling, servicing and supporting Atari items for about 32 years as of the recording of this episode. I hope you find this interview interesting and let Ben know that you appreciate all he has done and continues to do for the Atari community.
This interview took place on March 26, 2016.
by me!
Steve Ahlstorm: SynFile+ and PaperClip
Steve Ahlstorm was half of The 4th Works, with Dan Moore. Together they programmed SynFile+, which was published by Synapse; and PaperClip, published by Batteries Included. The team also created BackTalk, a telecommunications program; and Sherlock, a disk sector editor utility.
This interview took place on October 4, 2016.
Teaser quote: "What's weird is, every now and then -- and this is, what, 40 years later -- I still get a random e-mail asking me for support for Sherlock or for SynFile, which is kind of strange."
  • Like 2

There is also "Syncopy" by the 4th Works, a sectorcopy program (not sure if it was especially made to copy the SYN... programs or just as an ordinary sectorcopy program, it supports 48k RAM and 90k/130k/180 disks)...

http://www.atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=utils&sub=6.%20Stacja%20dyskietek&tg=Syncopy&PHPSESSID=d1bf6855f71b1dd3549a62fc9b22d608#Syncopy

Jeff Bell, Atari coin-op

Jeff Bell worked for Atari Games for 31 years. He stated in 1973 as a Pong inspector, then moved to the engineering department, specifying requirements for parts. He worked in IT and system administration, and did other jobs in his more than three decades with the company. He also ran the Itsy Bitsy Bulletin Board System.
This interview took place on November 7, 2015. In it, we discuss Bob Stahl, whom I previously interviewed.
Teaser quote:
"People say Atari died in — what? — 1983? Didn't happen. Didn't happen. We were in Milpitas making video games. We made great video games."

Loved this one. I've know about Jeff Bell since I was a kid calling BBSes. I had the Free Software book, and I think his BBS # was given to me by Atari customer service - probably the first long distance modem call I ever made. Sounds like a cool guy - enjoyed it, thanks Kevin!

Dan Corona, Atari Engineering Manager

Dan Corona was Atari employee #9 — staring in 1972, where he remained until the Tramiel takeover in 1984. Dan was Engineering Manager, and worked in many divisions: coin-op, pinball, handheld games, and consumer.
This interview took place on November 29, 2016.
Teaser quote: "It pretty much killed the company. You know, you can't continue building the same thing over and over again and not create anything new."
  • Like 3

Bill Stealey, co-founder of MicroProse Software

Bill Stealey was co-founder of MicroProse Software, with Sid Meier. They started the company in 1982, and Stealey ran the company until it was sold to Spectrum Holobyte in 1993. MicroProse specialized in flight simulation and war games — the company's games for the Atari 8-bit computers include F-15 Strike Eagle, Hellcat Ace, Kennedy Approach, Silent Service, Solo Flight, Spitfire Ace, Chopper Rescue, Crusade in Europe, and Floyd of the Jungle.
This interview took place on January 3, 2017.
Teaser quote: "He learned a new technique so he made a flight simulator out of it. And Solo Flight beat out Fight Simulator that year at Handleman."
  • Like 6

Dan Corona, Atari Engineering Manager

Dan Corona was Atari employee #9 — staring in 1972, where he remained until the Tramiel takeover in 1984. Dan was Engineering Manager, and worked in many divisions: coin-op, pinball, handheld games, and consumer.
This interview took place on November 29, 2016.
Teaser quote: "It pretty much killed the company. You know, you can't continue building the same thing over and over again and not create anything new."

Fascinating interview, and a great (but sad) explanation for why so many prototypes never saw the light of day.

• Like 1

Bill Stealey, co-founder of MicroProse Software

Bill Stealey was co-founder of MicroProse Software, with Sid Meier. They started the company in 1982, and Stealey ran the company until it was sold to Spectrum Holobyte in 1993. MicroProse specialized in flight simulation and war games — the company's games for the Atari 8-bit computers include F-15 Strike Eagle, Hellcat Ace, Kennedy Approach, Silent Service, Solo Flight, Spitfire Ace, Chopper Rescue, Crusade in Europe, and Floyd of the Jungle.
This interview took place on January 3, 2017.
Teaser quote: "He learned a new technique so he made a flight simulator out of it. And Solo Flight beat out Fight Simulator that year at Handleman."

This guy is so entertaining to listen to. Quite a character indeed :grin:

So does anyone really believe he'll bring War Birds to the A8 like he seemed to implied towards the end of the interview?

Not sure if this is one he was referring to...

warbirds.jpg

- Michael

• Like 3

Paul Cubbage, Atari Program Exchange

Paul Cubbage was Director of Atari Program Exchange. There, he was head of reviewing software submissions and publishing the APX catalog. He worked at Atari from April 1981 through January 1984.
This interview took place on October 3, 2016.
Teaser quotes:
"First catalog, we went around and found every last utility or piece of software that we could put out there, unashamedly."
"People used to complain about our royalty and I'd say 'Go to a flea market and sell [your software] off the back of your station wagon. The royalty is the royalty. I know it's not much."
  • Like 2

This guy is so entertaining to listen to. Quite a character indeed :grin:

So does anyone really believe he'll bring War Birds to the A8 like he seemed to implied towards the end of the interview?

Not sure if this is one he was referring to...

warbirds.jpg

- Michael

Really interesting man, I did an article on the company and their Atari output for Games Trade Monthly back then, they liked it so much I was invited to go visit them at their UK office in Gloucestershire I seem to remember, well somewhere like that. Could not do it but got a 10 min chat with Bill, really nice man.

Must have a listen to the Podcast, well done Kevin...

As said a long time back in this thread I hope you can catch up the John Kavanaugh, he's got a very interesting story from starting out with his 1st game that I got published through Futureware, and then he went on to Domark and working with John Romero, really talented person and did bloody well for himself. And we have Green Beret (or was it 007, or perhaps both as De Re Software)on the 8bit thanks to him and Pat McCormick.

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

Ronald Borta, Roklan Software

Ronald Borta was co-founder of JACC, which made educational software under contract for Atari, where he programmed Atari States and Capitals and Atlas of Canada, and other software for the the Atari 400 and 800 computers. He moved to Roklan Software, the company that programmed hundreds of titles for the Atari computers and many other platforms of the time.
Roklan published a number of cartridges for the Atari computers, including Deluxe Invaders and Gorf. The company also produced Pac Man (published by Atari), Gyruss (published by Parker Brothers), Wizard of Wor (published by CBS), Mickey in the Great Outdoors (published by Disney), and myriad other game and educational titles. The company also created software for the Atari 2600 and 5200, Apple //, Commodore 64 and VIC-20, Texas Instruments 99/4A, ColecoVision, Intellivision, and other platforms.
He is known as the first person to have patented software.
This interview took place on December 9, 2016.
Teaser quotes:
"$25,000 that I got from Atari doing Pac Man turned out to be the best investment I ever made."
"I only did video games that did not feature violence against people. Then I end up in weapons systems."
Edited by Savetz
  • Like 5