IGNORED

The Atari interview discussion thread

Savetz

http://www.digitpress.com/library/interviews/interview_bob_polaro.html

According to this interview, Bob Polaro programmed States & Capitals. Don't know who's right.

Do you think there is any chance in getting all that source code? It sounds like there may be un-released stuff as well.

I wonder if they did Captain Hook's Revenge.

https://archive.org/details/AtariHomeComputersCatalog

Page 27.

Firefox? Maybe it was something that went un-released?

Allan

• Like 1

Sheldon Leemon: Instedit, Circuit Lab, Mapping the Commodore 64

Sheldon Leemon was the creator of Instedit, a character set editor; and Circuit Lab, an electronics learning program that he co-created with with Mark Davids. Both programs were published by Atari Program Exchange. He wrote for several computer magazines, including Softside — where he wrote many reviews, and a game called Outer Space Attack; Compute!, and Creative Computing. He also wrote several computer books, including Mapping the Commodore 64, Compute's AmigaDOS Reference Guide, and Inside Amiga Graphics.
This interview took place on January 9, 2016. In it, we discuss Arlan Levitan, Jerry White, and several other people that I've previously interviewed. There are links to those interviews, and Sheldon's programs and articles, in the show notes at AtariPodcast.com.
Teaser quotes:
"They're having so much fun that they don't want to take time to stop. Having a meal? It could take half an hour or an hour! You could be doing really cool stuff with that half an hour or an hour."
"We looked at people like Bill Gates and Steve Jobs as the really bad guys. ... He wants to charge money for something that everybody else is giving away for free."
Video version of this interview:
  • Like 4

Mark Pelczarski, Penguin Software

Mark Pelczarski was the founder of Penguin Software — later renamed to Polarware. Penguin published many graphics programs and games for Apple II, Atari 8-bit, and other platforms. The company's programs included Magic Paintbrush, Graphics Magician, Pie Man, Spy's Demise, The Spy Strikes Back, and Transylvania.
Mark was editor of Softside Magazine for a time, and an editor of the book The Creative Apple, published by Creative Computing.
This interview took place on January 10, 2017.
Teaser quote: "It was not a competitive industry, really ... There wasn't too much as far as trade secrets. It was like, 'Hey, I figured out how to do this.' There was a lot of exchange of ideas and collaboration between the companies."
  • Like 2

Sheldon Leemon: Instedit, Circuit Lab, Mapping the Commodore 64

Sheldon Leemon was the creator of Instedit, a character set editor; and Circuit Lab, an electronics learning program that he co-created with with Mark Davids. Both programs were published by Atari Program Exchange. He wrote for several computer magazines, including Softside — where he wrote many reviews, and a game called Outer Space Attack; Compute!, and Creative Computing. He also wrote several computer books, including Mapping the Commodore 64, Compute's AmigaDOS Reference Guide, and Inside Amiga Graphics.
This interview took place on January 9, 2016. In it, we discuss Arlan Levitan, Jerry White, and several other people that I've previously interviewed. There are links to those interviews, and Sheldon's programs and articles, in the show notes at AtariPodcast.com.
Teaser quotes:
"They're having so much fun that they don't want to take time to stop. Having a meal? It could take half an hour or an hour! You could be doing really cool stuff with that half an hour or an hour."
"We looked at people like Bill Gates and Steve Jobs as the really bad guys. ... He wants to charge money for something that everybody else is giving away for free."

Does Sheldon possibly have any 1980's Computer Shopper issues? He said he had a lot of magazines still. There were some decent Atari 8-bit articles and programs in Computer Shopper.

Allan

• Like 3

Steve Gerber, VP of International New Product Development

Steve Gerber was head of the Atari Software Acquisition Program. In October 1981, Atari opened its first Regional Software Acquisition Center, managed by Steve, in a 4,000 square-foot location that also housed the Atari Program Exchange (APX). Later Steve was Atari's VP of International New Product Development, in charge of software development for non-US markets.
This interview took place on January 17, 2017.
Teaser quote: "I had these guys that were in a barn that was built in 1100-something that had set it up to be their "office" somewhere in northern England, in the middle of nowhere. They had come up with a ... baseball cap that you'd put on and you could move the cursor with your eyes."
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Mark Odendahl, Rush Hour

Mark Odendahl was the creator of Rush Hour, a Frogger-like game that appeared in the winter 1983 Atari Program Exchange catalog, the final APX catalog. He also wrote one program for A.N.A.L.O.G. Computing magazine: Number Editor appeared in the January 1989 issue.
This interview took place on January 24, 2017.
"So I sold one copy of the program, but not through Atari. I sold it directly to one guy in New Jersey."
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

David Lubar, Game Developer (PastFinder)

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-271-david-lubar-game-developer

David Lubar was a prolific games software developer who worked for Sirius Software, Activision and Absolute and freelanced for several other companies, including Broderbund, Origin Systems, and Imagineering. He developed games for many different systems, including game consoles like the Atari 2600 and the NES and computer systems such as the Apple II, C64, and the Atari 400/800.

His titles for the Atari 8-bits include Hacker, Master of the Lamps, Ogre, Pastfinder and Ultima IV.

David has since taken up writing and has several books to his name.

This interview took place April 23, 2016.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Joe Grande, Monkey Up A Tree

Joe Grande published one program for the Atari computers: Monkey Up A Tree was published by Atari Program Exchange, and first appeared in the winter 1982-1983 APX catalog.
This interview took place on March 14, 2017.
Bob Woolley, Atari 1200XL hardware hacker
Bob Woolley has been upgrading and modifying Atari 8-bit computers — primarily the 1200XL — since it was released. His hardware products include video output improvements, keyboard repairs, built-in CompactFlash cards, a dual-ANTIC computer, and a parallel bus interface for the 1200XL. Bob was editor of Atari Classics magazine from approximately 1994-1997. He is still active in the San Leandro Computer Club and on the AtariAge forums.
This interview took place on March 14, 2017.
"I actually use the Atari as my computer. I couldn't write any code on one of my PCs. Whereas if I'm going to write code, I do it on the Atari."
  • Like 7

Richard Leinecker, Your Atari Comes Alive

Richard Leinecker is author of the book Your Atari Comes Alive, which was published by Alpha Systems. The book provides instructions for building hardware projects that work with the Atari 8-bit computers, such as event detectors, motion sensors, a light pen, Christmas lights, and networking computers together. The book has been scanned as is available at the Internet Archive. He wrote a followup book called Your Atari ST Comes Alive. He also wrote for Compute!, A.N.A.L.O.G. Computing and ST-Log magazines.
This interview took place November 8, 2015.
"That was my first attempt at any writing of any kind. I didn't necessarily really know a whole lot. ... It was a lot of stumbling around trying to figure out what to do."

Wow, I need to listen to this one! There's a direct line that starts with this book and leads to my career as an embedded software/hardware engineer. Pretty sure I still have my book and disk.

Edited by TangentAudio
  • Like 1

Nadav bought an Atari computer with his bar mitzvah money, and published one program for it. Today he's a rabbi. Super interesting guy.

Nadav Caine, Mathematic-Tac-Toe

Nadav Caine published one program for the Atari computer: Mathematic-Tac-Toe. This educational program first appeared in the winter 1982-1983 APX catalog.
This interview took place on March 17, 2017.
Teaser quotes:
"Look, my game's lousy. I'm embarrassed even to have a conversation about it."
"All education is self-education. I don't think teachers put knowledge in your head."
Edited by Savetz
  • Like 3

Nadav bought an Atari computer with his bar mitzvah money, and published one program for it. Today he's a rabbi. Super interesting guy.

Nadav Caine, Mathematic-Tac-Toe

Nadav Caine published one program for the Atari computer: Mathematic-Tac-Toe. This educational program first appeared in the winter 1982-1983 APX catalog.
This interview took place on March 17, 2017.
Teaser quotes:
"Look, my game's lousy. I'm embarrassed even to have a conversation about it."
"All education is self-education. I don't think teachers put knowledge in your head."

Great interview. Nadav needs to get himself a real Atari 800/1200/130XE again. He gets an A+ for enthusiasm. :)

Allan

Teaser quotes:

I love that quote and very much agree with it, obviously it depends on the teacher and the student but I found out that i actually learnt quicker and better by teaching myself and its a thing we have done with our daughter...

Great interview Savetz, he really was an interesting guy.

Thank you again for another dose of entertainment and knowledge...

• Like 1

Peter Shankman, Help A Reporter Out

Peter Shankman is a well-known American entrepreneur and author. He was creator of Help A Reporter Out, and author of several business books. He got his start in technology with an Atari 2600 and an Apple ][.
This interview took place on March 20, 2017.
Teaser quote: "What would you change, if you could go back and talk to your 10-year-old self? I wouldn't change a thing. Because the hell that I went through there has led to, pretty much, the majority of the success I've had today, and I'm very very lucky with that. I can trace that back to the Atari, to the 2600, to those games..."
  • Like 1

I enjoyed this interview very much. There was one moment that made me laugh. "We don't have any practical way to transmit 4 MB of data." :) I'd be willing to bet there is someone going to those meetings that has a reasonably modern computer and an internet connection. ;)

*Edited* to note that my laughter was fond, not mocking.

I remember those days well myself, but it's been a long time since 4 MB was considered a lot of data.

Edited by everklear
  • Like 2