IGNORED

Ultima IV Remastered for C64...

bbking67

I think the remastered screens look awesome! Probably looks much better on a real CRT with its natural pixel blending too. Really nice use of colors and the detail is excellent for the commie. At first blush, some of those frames looked like Amiga or ST screenshots!

Nice use of colours? Are you colourblind? that purplish overlay destroys everything.

Edited by emkay

I'd love to see what would be possible on the 8-bit in terms of those images. I'm a huge Ultima fan (in case I haven't mentioned it already)--I wonder if I could work with EA to get proper permission to publish a remastered version of the game for the 8-bits.

..Al

U4 is public domain........................:)

U4 is public domain........................ :)

I'm not sure that would allow you to commercially publish a version of Ultima IV in physical form, though. It would be awesome to create a boxed version of the game, in cartridge form, with a nice manual and a cloth map. :D Could even get metal ankhs produced...

..Al

• Like 4

I'm not sure that would allow you to commercially publish a version of Ultima IV in physical form, though. It would be awesome to create a boxed version of the game, in cartridge form, with a nice manual and a cloth map. :D Could even get metal ankhs produced...

..Al

It's a game that surely deserves that kind of treatment. :)

• Like 1

..Al

It's an interesting thought, but arguably redundant. There are LOTS of copies of Ultima IV out there with all of the feelies included, plus countless digital scans of everything already available. While I'm no stranger to redundancy, I think if such an effort were to be put into the product a new set of feelies would be warranted (and almost certainly sell many more copies due to the unique nature).

I think all the new images look better, but they are a bit heavy on the purple.

I've noticed that a lot with some of the modern C64 art.

The Plus/4 would actually be better for this title IMHO.

As previously suggested, I'm guessing compression was involved. The question is whether it's a loader or a custom compression in the game.

Even the Apple ports could have been better. Graphics tools back in the day were pretty simple for the most part.

I also have to wonder if the artwork was often left up to the programmers instead of hiring artists for most titles.

I wonder how much of the style employed is based on the severe limitations of the C64 palette? There are only 16 colours available. I suggest that the pastel style employed probably works best given the limited colour choices.

Frankly I'm surpised they just didn't take the Atari ST or Amiga screens and adapt those... the new ones (although heavy on the purple) are pretty nice.

I suppose an Atari artist would make different choices in order to optimize for the system... the Atari should be able to look great with the extra hues available.

It's an interesting thought, but arguably redundant. There are LOTS of copies of Ultima IV out there with all of the feelies included, plus countless digital scans of everything already available. While I'm no stranger to redundancy, I think if such an effort were to be put into the product a new set of feelies would be warranted (and almost certainly sell many more copies due to the unique nature).

I do agree that any feelies included (love that term) should be unique in some fashion relative to the original games. I'd also create entirely new artwork for the box, manual and cartridge. We're a long way from that, though, so plenty of time to discuss what such feelies to include, or if any such feelies should be included at all. :) Short term I'd just like to see what would be possible on the 8-bit relative to the original version. If someone (or multiple someones) picked up this project in earnest, it's something I would wholeheartedly support in any way I can to help make it a reality.

..Al

Soemone has the "real C64 Bitmaps" of the images? Not those softwashed ones?

u1.pngu2.png

u3.pngu4.png

u5.pngu6.png

c1.pngc2.png

Nice use of colours? Are you colourblind? that purplish overlay destroys everything.

Well, "nice use of colours" has NOTHING to do with those C64 images. The "subjective part" belongs only to the C64 biasing. Any other "subjective" isn't there ;)

I'm sorry that the new intro graphics aren't to your liking. You only have to look at them when creating a new character, though, so it could be worse!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

C64 you often see purple, only 16 colours to work with so for transitions you'll have to sometimes use a colour you don't entirely want.

Purple was actually rare before about 120 years ago - occurs rarely in nature and was very expensive to aquire as a dye for clothing so became associated with the rich.

Frankly I'm surpised they just didn't take the Atari ST or Amiga screens and adapt those... the new ones (although heavy on the purple) are pretty nice.

The ST/Amiga screens are not that great, and running them through a converter wouldn't make them any better. Two of the intro pictures from the FM Towns version were used as a basis for two of the new C64 pictures, and the interior of the gypsy's caravan was partly based on the Amiga/ST/EGA version.

500992-ultima-iv-quest-of-the-avatar-fm-

500991-ultima-iv-quest-of-the-avatar-fm-

I share the popular opinion that the new graphics are better in most ways, but the purple is an ugly mistake on otherwise good improvement.

I'm sorry you don't like my colour choices.

• Like 7

C64 you often see purple, only 16 colours to work with so for transitions you'll have to sometimes use a colour you don't entirely want.

Purple was actually rare before about 120 years ago - occurs rarely in nature and was very expensive to aquire as a dye for clothing so became associated with the rich.

Rich as in royalty too. And even today, you have motor oil called "Royal Purple."

Yeah, it's a color choice limitation issue but I think it needs dithered with something else because... well... purple.

Has anyone ever called you Cliff Clavin? :D :D

Rare in nature is a good reason it should be rare in computer images.

• Like 2

I'm sorry that the new intro graphics aren't to your liking. You only have to look at them when creating a new character, though, so it could be worse!

No need to be sorry. I'm pretty sure, on an other machine with more colours your choice would fit better.

Thanks for the clean images, though.