IGNORED

Inexpensive S-Video or Composite to HDMI video up converter

ACML

Since most screens are at least 1080p these days and you really don't want the monitor handling the upscaling, that seems reasonable.

Here's my preliminary report on the AV/SV to HDMI 4K Scaler (LINK) that I just got the other day. So far it looks better than the EtekCity converter that I have, and works especially well with the new UAV upgrade being produced by Bryan using the UAV's S-Video outputs. I forgot to bring my camera to my shop, so unfortunately no comparison pics yet (hopefully tomorrow).

I don't have a 4K HDMI monitor so those modes do not work but the 720P and 1080P work great, although I don't see any difference between them. The Zoom feature does work, but only slightly with no major change. Since the picture gets automatically stretched to fill the screen, probably only a HDTV with the ability to force 4:3 mode would change that. I don't notice any delay imposed by the video processing, but I also don't play many games. Overall I think this S-Video to HDMI adapter is very capable for the price.

It appears that the best price (with FREE shipping) would be from TomTop's Ebay Store, which has now gone up to $42 and change. Here's a Ebay search link for this item: LINK (make sure to get the one that includes S-Video in the title, since there are some cheaper but almost identical ones that only have composite inputs).

- Michael

• 6 months later...

I am also looking for a Video conversion solution and found these two converters anybody try them already? Reviews on both seem positive:

KanexPro HDCVRYW ($64, converts to 720p, with sound): http://www.kanexpro.com/item/?id=HDCVRYW, https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/816204-REG/KanexPro_HDCVRYW_Composite_or_S_Video_with.html

KanexPro CON-AV-HD4K ($99, converts up to 4K, no sound): http://www.kanexpro.com/item/?id=CON-AV-HD4K, https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1208856-REG/kanexpro_con_av_hd4k_composite_s_video_to_4k_hdmi.html

Edited by gargoyle

I am also looking for a Video conversion solution and found these two converters anybody try them already? Reviews on both seem positive:

KanexPro HDCVRYW ($64, converts to 720p, with sound): http://www.kanexpro.com/item/?id=HDCVRYW, https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/816204-REG/KanexPro_HDCVRYW_Composite_or_S_Video_with.html

KanexPro CON-AV-HD4K ($99, converts up to 4K, no sound): http://www.kanexpro.com/item/?id=CON-AV-HD4K, https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1208856-REG/kanexpro_con_av_hd4k_composite_s_video_to_4k_hdmi.html

I'm interested also.

I'd love to know if they do scanline doubling which is what I'm looking for.

Edited by Ikrananka

• 4 months later...

Has anyone tried to use s-video to VGA converters and use that port on their TV or a computer monitor?

https://www.amazon.com/SLLEA-Composite-S-Video-Converter-Monitor/dp/B0144DEN7Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1488494731&sr=8-2&keywords=vcr+s-video+input

Yes - most do not work well at all at de-interlacing properly. Some introduce a slight delay which make playing the "twitch" games a bit more difficult. There is one advantage to them. The prevent flicker in the interlaced graphics modes, so are great for viewing stills, pretty good for word processing, and barely acceptable for gaming. All IMHO of course.

If VGA is good enough, you guys should check out the Micomsoft XRGB-2 up scan converter. They usually sell for around $150-ish used. They are excellent with RGB, composite and svideo.

It does proper scan doubling and has builtin scanlines. I use mine with my 8bit Commodore and Atari machines along with Amiga, ST and consoles. While I usually use RGB from the newer stuff, I do have my C64 and Atari 8 bits hooked up via S-video and I get a fantastic picture on either older CRT pc monitors or LCD screens. Works great with 60 and 50hz too!

I posted a video of the device in action recently on Youtube:

If VGA is good enough, you guys should check out the Micomsoft XRGB-2 up scan converter. They usually sell for around $150-ish used. They are excellent with RGB, composite and svideo.

It does proper scan doubling and has builtin scanlines. I use mine with my 8bit Commodore and Atari machines along with Amiga, ST and consoles. While I usually use RGB from the newer stuff, I do have my C64 and Atari 8 bits hooked up via S-video and I get a fantastic picture on either older CRT pc monitors or LCD screens. Works great with 60 and 50hz too!

I posted a video of the device in action recently on Youtube:

Sounds like a good device... but $150 (for a used one) is inexpensive?

Whilst I would agree that it might be a bit of a stretch calling it inexpensive, it's totally worth it considering the video quality it puts out. Most of those cheap-o composite/svideo to HDMI adapter are total trash with terrible image quality and many have a locked 60Hz output regardless of input which kills smooth scrolling with PAL hardware.

• Like 1

Whilst I would agree that it might be a bit of a stretch calling it inexpensive, it's totally worth it considering the video quality it puts out. Most of those cheap-o composite/svideo to HDMI adapter are total trash with terrible image quality and many have a locked 60Hz output regardless of input which kills smooth scrolling with PAL hardware.

Looks great, but I'd love a cheaper solution.

Are there any modern computer monitors that simply take SVID or composite?

Looks great, but I'd love a cheaper solution.

Are there any modern computer monitors that simply take SVID or composite?

Pretty much no to the monitor question, but you can find a small LED TV that will go up to at least 1920 X 1080 and have various inputs -- HDMI, Component, and Composite (using one of the Component jacks). I use a 22" Upstar from Amazon for my PC and also to display my Atari (video capture). Works great.

-Larry

Yes, the FP2007 model was made in 2007, but they are good monitors.

Svideo is still available on some new surveillance monitors. B&H has a few models available: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Interface_S-Video&ci=7225&N=3880127434+4288598148#so and they will do NTSC and PAL.

Edited by Brentarian

• 3 months later...

Here's my preliminary report on the AV/SV to HDMI 4K Scaler (LINK) that I just got the other day. So far it looks better than the EtekCity converter that I have, and works especially well with the new UAV upgrade being produced by Bryan using the UAV's S-Video outputs. I forgot to bring my camera to my shop, so unfortunately no comparison pics yet (hopefully tomorrow).

I don't have a 4K HDMI monitor so those modes do not work but the 720P and 1080P work great, although I don't see any difference between them. The Zoom feature does work, but only slightly with no major change. Since the picture gets automatically stretched to fill the screen, probably only a HDTV with the ability to force 4:3 mode would change that. I don't notice any delay imposed by the video processing, but I also don't play many games. Overall I think this S-Video to HDMI adapter is very capable for the price.

It appears that the best price (with FREE shipping) would be from TomTop's Ebay Store, which has now gone up to $42 and change. Here's a Ebay search link for this item: LINK (make sure to get the one that includes S-Video in the title, since there are some cheaper but almost identical ones that only have composite inputs).

- Michael

Any chance you could post a comparison of the 4K scaler and the EtekCity?

I thought I was ordering the same unit that mytekcontrols tested earlier in this thread, but I ended up buying a similar, but different unit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V2ULHBS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I compared it to the etekcity unit I reviewed earlier and I didn't see too much difference. Actually if anything, I think this new Tendak unit may over brighten a bit. The white characters in BASIC are nice and solid, but the etekcity was as well. When I tried Defender, this Tendak washed out some of the subtle colors of the spaceship (too bright). I think I still like the etekcity one better as it also has an option for an HDMI input as well. That gives it the ability to be a switch box as well if you don't want to keep reattaching the cables if you only have one HDMI port on your TV available. One feature the Tendak has that I liked was the fact that it also output 3.5mm audio in case you were hooking it up to a monitor that had no audio and you could use your 3.5mm jack external speakers without a conversion cable. That is nice, but not a big deal as the etekcity unit could do the same by just using a 2 RCA to 3.5MM converter to do the same.

41oLsjouVQL.jpgpost-27335-0-17138800-1497718236.jpg

Edited by ACML

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: I went and ordered the 4K upscaler that mytekcontrols previously reviewed. I paid $36 delivered from China. I tested it out this morning and I had three significant findings.

s-l1600.jpg

1) This unit has very sharp and bright 40 column text. Better probably than the Etekcity unit I reviewed in the initial post of this thread. However, it was at a cost.

2) This unit appears to me to be over driven which might explain why it makes 40 column text look sharper. The classic Atari blue background is noticeably lighter blue than the raw S-video (Y/C) source. When I played Defender, the spacecraft should have a pink and subtle violet tone, but this unit is so bright, the whole spacecraft displayed almost all white.

3) This brightness may make 40 column text look very sharp, but in 80 column (i.e. Omniview) the contrast between the text and background makes the readability in 80 column mode suffer. Raw S-video (Y/C) and the Etekcity video are significantly more readable in Omniview 80 column mode. This unwanted feature to me is a non-starter. If you plan to use 80 column Omniview mode or will miss seeing subtle light color hues, this unit is not for you.

My personal recommendation remains the "Etekcity like" unit. I say "like" because I think the Etekcity brand no longer sells this unit, but other brands of this model are still available. It has the best all around performance and has the nice feature of a HDMI input so it can be a switch box if you only have one HDMI port available on your TV. Below is a picture of a currently available model that is the same as the Etekcity unit I recommend.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111979725387

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by ACML
  • Like 3

Yes I did notice what you mentioned, but depending upon your HDTV it can be adjusted for in the picture settings (but not all TV's allow this). So I guess it comes down to what you will be using this for, as in what do you normally do on your A8. I found it worked very well for The Last Word's 80 column mode, better than anything else I have available for displaying the Atari's video (and believe me when I say I have a lot of choices in monitors ;) ).

Sorry it didn't work for your needs :(

- Michael

Over-driven is over-driven. Well made and engineered devices should put out signals which are in specification.

Good point, but it is what it is I'm afraid. And for $36 it does quite well. Also keep in mind 'well engineered' costs $$$, but if you don't mind spending it there are some very good, albeit very expensive solutions to bridge your A8 to HDMI. However if Simius's latest prototype makes it into production, maybe not quite so expensive after all.

- Michael

• Like 3

I had the time to take some photo's of the UltraHD 4K upscaler and the Etekcity verses raw S-video. I compared text in 40 and 80 column plus a screen shot of Defender.

post-27335-0-93258900-1499228902_thumb.jpgpost-27335-0-93258900-1499228902_thumb.jpg

post-27335-0-28413000-1499228987_thumb.jpgpost-27335-0-60024400-1499229016_thumb.jpgpost-27335-0-32178600-1499229034_thumb.jpg

The UltraHD 4K has a significantly lighter blue background.

post-27335-0-03534100-1499229147_thumb.jpgpost-27335-0-49872200-1499229203_thumb.jpgpost-27335-0-95286100-1499229228_thumb.jpg

The wavy lines aren't really there. It's just my camera picking up glare off screen.

post-27335-0-80068500-1499229260_thumb.jpgpost-27335-0-42373300-1499229285_thumb.jpgpost-27335-0-38458000-1499229302_thumb.jpg

The wavy lines aren't really there. It's just my camera picking up glare off screen. Both units do a good job on 80 column, but the contrast on the UltraHD 4K is greater and it caused the text to be black instead of navy.

post-27335-0-34090700-1499229418_thumb.jpg

Raw S-video

post-27335-0-72506600-1499229441_thumb.jpg

UltraHD 4K Upscaler : Very bright and washes out light subtle colors. Spacecraft really looks all white (no soft pink or violet).

post-27335-0-89592600-1499229466_thumb.jpg

Etekcity S-video to HDMI: Photo shows lighter color, but it looks better than photo. Not as washed out as the 4K. You can still make out the pink and violet colors of the spacecraft. For some reason the camera is over brightening the colors.

post-27335-0-07825700-1499228933_thumb.jpg

Edited by ACML
  • Like 2

Here's the real McCoy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DVDO-IScan-HD-Video-Processor-High-Resolution-Video-Scaling-Engine-/282557327452?hash=item41c9baa85c:g:-1YAAOSw1BlZW~-c

• Motion and source adaptive video deinterlacing for NTSC (3:2 and 2:2 pulldown; video) and PAL/SECAM

• (2:2 pulldown; video) sources
  • Precision Video Scaling™ technology by Anchor Bay Technologies
  • User defined output video resolution from 480p up to 1080p
  • Flexible Input and Output Aspect Ratio Control
  • Display Profiles - For multiple display configurations
  • Rightrate™ - High-performance Framerate Conversion
  • AutoVFR™ - Intelligent Component video inputs with Automatic Video Format Routing
  • Advanced Source Transition Management provides seamless transitions between source types
  • AutoCUE-C™ – Automatic Chroma Upsampling Error detection and correction
  • 12 bit video digital-to-analog converters (DACs)
  • Full-frame Timebase Correction
  • High performance, 10-bit multi-standard video decoder
  • High-quality super-adaptive comb filter with 2D Y/C separation
  • Flexible Digital Audio switching and routing - four audio inputs and two audio outputs
  • Precision AV LipSync™ intelligent digital Audio Delay technology to match Audio & Video timing

The rest are just half-finished solutions.

Cheers!

Edited by Faicuai

I had the time to take some photo's of the UltraHD 4K upscaler and the Etekcity verses raw S-video. I compared text in 40 and 80 column plus a screen shot of Defender.

attachicon.gifDSC03875.JPGattachicon.gifDSC03875.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC03852.JPGattachicon.gifDSC03862.JPGattachicon.gifDSC03867.JPG

The UltraHD 4K has a significantly lighter blue background.

attachicon.gifDSC03855.JPGattachicon.gifDSC03864.JPGattachicon.gifDSC03870.JPG

The wavy lines aren't really there. It's just my camera picking up glare off screen.

attachicon.gifDSC03874.JPGattachicon.gifDSC03865.JPGattachicon.gifDSC03868.JPG

The wavy lines aren't really there. It's just my camera picking up glare off screen. Both units do a good job on 80 column, but the contrast on the UltraHD 4K is greater and it caused the text to be black instead of navy.

attachicon.gifDSC03858.JPG

Raw S-video

attachicon.gifDSC03860.JPG

UltraHD 4K Upscaler : Very bright and washes out light subtle colors. Spacecraft really looks all white (no soft pink or violet).

attachicon.gifDSC03872.JPG

Etekcity S-video to HDMI: Photo shows lighter color, but it looks better than photo. Not as washed out as the 4K. You can still make out the pink and violet colors of the spacecraft. For some reason the camera is over brightening the colors.

I think some of this can be chalked up to different monitors, because although I do agree with you that the 4K box does overdrive the video, none the less I can still get better results than what you've shown by using my Element monitor. But if I route the signal directly into a good quality S-video monitor, I agree the colors do look better and not as washed out. I'm using Bryan's UAV as my source, what are you using?

One thing that I just discovered today about the 4K box is that it'll work with either PAL or NTSC, not sure if the EtekCity also does PAL (never tried it).

Here's the real McCoy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DVDO-IScan-HD-Video-Processor-High-Resolution-Video-Scaling-Engine-/282557327452?hash=item41c9baa85c:g:-1YAAOSw1BlZW~-c

• Motion and source adaptive video deinterlacing for NTSC (3:2 and 2:2 pulldown; video) and PAL/SECAM

• (2:2 pulldown; video) sources
  • Precision Video Scaling™ technology by Anchor Bay Technologies
  • User defined output video resolution from 480p up to 1080p
  • Flexible Input and Output Aspect Ratio Control
  • Display Profiles - For multiple display configurations
  • Rightrate™ - High-performance Framerate Conversion
  • AutoVFR™ - Intelligent Component video inputs with Automatic Video Format Routing
  • Advanced Source Transition Management provides seamless transitions between source types
  • AutoCUE-C™ – Automatic Chroma Upsampling Error detection and correction
  • 12 bit video digital-to-analog converters (DACs)
  • Full-frame Timebase Correction
  • High performance, 10-bit multi-standard video decoder
  • High-quality super-adaptive comb filter with 2D Y/C separation
  • Flexible Digital Audio switching and routing - four audio inputs and two audio outputs
  • Precision AV LipSync™ intelligent digital Audio Delay technology to match Audio & Video timing
The rest are just half-finished solutions.

Cheers!

That's a nice looking converter :thumbsup: :)

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols