IGNORED

VCS Encyclopedia "Coming Soon"

bfstats

So you are saying that it's not a done deal that all four volumes will even hit the market should the prior volume not generate enough dough. My copy will go back tomorrow to Amazon.co.uk as I simply don't want two or maybe even three volumes here on the display with the next one(s) never being released.

This and the problem with printing quality and paper quality leads me to this conclusion. I really am a great Atari fan and I support many homebrew projects, but I can't come to terms with myself for dropping €50 for a book with such flaws. I have many other books with small printruns but these have glossy (or at least quality) paper and are printed in a way it doesn't hurt the eyes. I'm sorry that you have no access to professional business partners and wish you all the best for the remaining volumes.

@AtariBluff

All four volumes will come out. I'm hoping to have everything wrapped up by the end of next year, although that may get pushed back a little depending on my work travel schedule. Like I said, I'm not doing this for the money, I was simply trying to use that example as a way to illustrate the pricing/royalty issue and why I went with the company that I did.

• Like 2

As you pointed this out, I will be keeping my copy and look forward to the remaining volumes. Maybe small steps concerning the cropping and printing can be archieved on future releases.

I appreciate it. There are a few tweaks that we are going to do going forward that will hopefully alleviate the cropping/printing issues.

• Like 2

I appreciate it. There are a few tweaks that we are going to do going forward that will hopefully alleviate the cropping/printing issues.

So will any improvements be made that will help this current volume, or will these "fixes" only be for future volumes?

Like I said, I love to support projects like this, but unless some kind of improvements are made for this current issue, I doubt I would rebuy it. And with out having this first volume, I doubt I would buy the later ones.

Chris

So will any improvements be made that will help this current volume, or will these "fixes" only be for future volumes?

Like I said, I love to support projects like this, but unless some kind of improvements are made for this current issue, I doubt I would rebuy it. And with out having this first volume, I doubt I would buy the later ones.

Chris

Unfortunately the fixes for the current volume would require it to be completely redone, as it's a foundation issue. Basically it's an easy fix from the start, but significantly more difficult at this stage. I simply don't have the budget to have this one completely redone. That said, I'm hopeful that when the printers upgrade their presses it will fix a lot of the issues, so when I get word that it has happened i will be sure to make a post about it.

• Like 2

I'm offering my services on correcting any mistakes and such on both this volume and the other 3. I know collectors will have some disappointment when seeing mistakes, but I'm hoping I can help prevent any other mistakes from happening in the future. I'm talking about info/spelling errors, not printing ones, since I cannot control that aspect. I'm giving Derek all corrections for V1 in case he does do another printing, or can possibly fix those specific pages without having to fix everything. I don't know how printing a book goes nowadays, especially since technology has given us many advancements.

Phil

I received my book today and the print is really really bad.

WOW, that is absolutely terrible. How can a business take funds to produce a product and take so little "pride" in what they ship out to customers? I don't want to blow this out of proportion, but this is borderline robbery. Shame on this printing company.

Chris

• Like 2

Chris I agree with you wholeheartedly. Based on these issues I've started the process of setting up the paperback edition with the other company as well. It's going to cost more and be paperback, but hopefully it will look better and give people an option.

That said, based on the work involved it is unlikely it will be done before the holidays. I'm pretty much living

• Like 1

Yep, it's criminal to see the printing company produce such sub-standard work, espically after all the hard work Derek and team put into making this book something special.

It must be so frustrating for Derek etc as matters like this out of his hands, yet has such a knock-on effect to potential future sales.

Lousy touchscreen.

Living on the road the next few months and moving to a new city in August to boot. I'm going to have to manually adjust every single page slightly to fit their file requirements. All future volumes of the book will be published in both. Formats. I will keep everyone posted on the progress.

Bloody hell Derek, for a minute there i thought you were using same Web Browser as myself :-)

Sorry, this is no laughing matter.
What sort of compensation (if any) are you able to get from printing company?.
I've no idea how the system works in cases like this, but could you say to them, look i can provide 'proof' (ie posts on here, feedback on Amazon etc) that i'm loosing potential sales here based on your poor quality work...or is that not a realistic option?.
Forgive my ignorance on things like this.