IGNORED

VCS Encyclopedia "Coming Soon"

bfstats

Bloody hell Derek, for a minute there i thought you were using same Web Browser as myself :-)

Sorry, this is no laughing matter.
What sort of compensation (if any) are you able to get from printing company?.
I've no idea how the system works in cases like this, but could you say to them, look i can provide 'proof' (ie posts on here, feedback on Amazon etc) that i'm loosing potential sales here based on your poor quality work...or is that not a realistic option?.
Forgive my ignorance on things like this.

It's all good, sometimes all you can do is laugh, right?

I really don't have any recourse with the printers unfortunately. They kind of have all the power and could just simply tell me to take my business elsewhere. They aren't the greatest company in the world, but there are only two viable options for a project like this, and they are one of them. I hope that the paperback edition will come out better, and will at least give people a choice between the cheaper book and the more expensive paperback. It's not the ideal situation by any stretch, but don't really have much of a choice short of winning the lottery and paying for premium books out of pocket.

• Like 1

Got my copy in Brazil!

Love the cover, size and weight of the book, it'll look great in my condo.

However, I'd appreciate if internal pages could be glossy/shiny. They sure look like that on AA home page, however the real paper has matte finishing, looks more like a journal

post-6332-0-02343600-1434479222_thumb.jpg.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A relative bought me a copy for my birthday! I'm very glad to have it. I did notice some of the irregularities that others have observed. On at least one page (DK Jr) there is that solid faded column (someone else posted a pic). I also have the issue where it is cropped unevenly at the top. Overall, that stuff didn't bother me THAT much, and I'm now looking forward to Vol 2. I do seem to appreciate DK Jr A LOT more than you - LOL

OK everyone, fingers crossed. After several weeks with fighting with the printers i have finally gotten together a file that should (hopefully) fix a lot of the issues with the colors and the cropping (it still might not be perfect, but at least it should fix the issue with the tops of the words being chopped off). It's not perfect, and it's somewhat of a workaround, but hopefully it will be an improvement.

I would like to thank everyone for bearing with me on these issues. In an ideal world I would have had the time and resources to get these resolved much sooner, but with work having me on the road so much (I've driven 5,200 miles in the last 3 weeks doing jobs in 8 cities spread out across 7 states. I barely know where I am half the time anymore). Once I get conformation from the printers (and get a copy of it myself) I will let everyone know that the new version is up. I have also asked the printers if they are going to discard the messed up ones, or can at least have someone go through them to make sure they came out OK.

Thanks again everyone!

• Like 1

OK, got an update from the Printer. They said that the new version isn't perfect, but it should be a lot better in terms of print quality. In regards to the cropping issue I have gone back and added a little extra space around the border, so if the print is off center on a page or two the words shouldn't get cut off. I have asked how much of a back stock they have of the older version, but haven't heard back. Again, thank you all for bearing with me on this issue, and with any luck we won't have these problems for future volumes.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

You know, it's really quite disgusting what companies can get away with these days. Imagine if you bought a shirt from a retailer and one sleeve was a different colour and the buttons were mismatched... Pretty sure one would have recourse then. Why is it that a book printing company (a fairly established industry) can print something where one can't read some of the words and the colours are all wrong? Baffles me...

• Like 2

The textile industry usually has quality control. I'm doubting this small book printing company does. Maybe they may check one book out of 50 or so, but I doubt they look at each copy. I know when clothing is not sized correctly or miscut or something and can still be used, they are put separately and you can purchase items from discount stores for lower prices. There's a small chain of stores here in NJ called CH Martin where I see packages of fruit of the looms actually marked as such and they get t-shirts and things that aren't perfect they usually sell for like $2 each. If all the books had that issue, then they would have been scrapped and redone. It seems that whatever number were defective were probably purchased by Amazon or where ever else they went and did not stay in stock at hq. I would assume Derek once aware of the situation would have had someone look through what was left once the problem was made aware.

Are the miscuts always on the same pages? If so, it would be easier to find the defective copies. If they are random, then it's a major loss paying someone to look through every page of every copy. I would then just offer to exchange any defective copies.

Since the printer is aware of what has happened, I'm assuming they would pay more attention for future printings or the other volumes. I mentioned earlier that my uncle is a paper cutter. He takes his job seriously and makes sure all the paper is aligned perfectly. The other shift he says messes up often because he doesn't fix the paper on the cutting machine properly prior to making the cuts. The guy wastes tens of thousands of sheets at a time and the boss doesn't seem to care.

Actually it just dawned on me how many comic books were miscut or had double covers, etc. Marvel and DC were usually good with their defects, but a company like Charlton was horrible when it came to page cuts, or ridges, alignment, etc.

Phil

Edited by Philflound

Janzl, I have been working with the printer and it looks like a lot of the issues have been resolved. I got a "new" version of it and the faded print wasn't present and the cropping issues were gone. Now that's not to say there might be the occasional issue, but from what I have see. And what they are telling me things have gotten better.

And sorry for the lack of updates lately, all this went down just before I went on a multi-week road trip just before moving to San Antonio and following that up with another road trip. Only like 3 more months of this madness!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wow you guys rock, I was coming on here to make the announcement that it was live and y'all beat me to it! Thank you all for ordering I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the book!

As for the autographs I'm sure we can figure something out. I'm hoping to start doing conventions later this year (I'm down here in Texas) but will hopefully be branching out next year. if anyone has any other ideas I'm all for it.

Also there are digital versions available, PDF and for iBooks (which includes gameplay footage). The links to all of that are here

http://www.thevgatv.com/Game_Books/

Thank you all again!

Wondering if there are any plans for a release through Kindle and/or maybe a PDF release like Bitmap Books did for their C64/Amiga compendiums.

Well, bought the pdf and it's a nice layout & great read (did laugh at 'Amour Battle' entry) so if the final three volumes comes out as promised, I'm there with my money.

Glad you loved the design and layout :thumbsup: , I tried to keep it in the same feel as the classic Atari VCS etos, and many thnks again for supporting the VCS book, it is a great piece of kit to have on your coffee table. Roll on the next book :)

Kind regards

Darren.

• Like 1

I know it's a bit late to do anything about it for the first volume, but I reckon future volumes ought to include as much accuracy as possible as to the date of availability. Yes, such a thing would probably require somewhat more investigation than Google searches. Goodness knows I've tried. I eventually determined that the years 1982-1983 cover some 71% of every game released on the system, with a further 12% covered by the titles released in years prior, which are comparatively well-documented and easy to pinpoint for their simplicity. 71% is a heck of a lot of titles to have only the year of release; in my own list, it practically feels like unneeded data.

According to the printers a lot of the printing issues have been resolved. The cropping is more uniform, and the faded/over saturated printing is corrected. I ordered 3 from the U.S. Printers which has the same files, and they all looked good. If anybody does have any issues, please let me know so I can inform the printers.