IGNORED

VCS Encyclopedia "Coming Soon"

bfstats

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking into this book (Volume 1) and it seems wonderful. I want to make sure the problems were resolved before buying though so I have a couple of questions:

Do (or will) these volumes include every North American game, even the really rare titles like Red Sea Crossing?

Will each one be available in paperback (my preference) and if so, will the paperback have glossy pages?

Will the paperback be updated with any corrections? For instance, in the demonstration images, we see the layout for Decathlon but really, the title of that game is The Activision Decathlon. Not to be petty, but I'd like to see the volumes as perfect as possible if they are intended to be encyclopedic.

Keep up the great work!

Edited by glazball

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey Joe, Sorry for the delayed response. My job has been beating me senseless with all the travel, so I haven't been able to keep up with things as much as I would like to. As far as volume 2 goes, I have a lot of the groundwork done on them, and :::knock on wood::: I will have some solid time the first 3-4 months of next year where I can devote a ton of time to getting it done and printed. Outside of traveling for x-mas I should be home and at my computer for a few straight months ::::knock on wood yet again::::: Once I have an update I will pass it along.

• Like 1

Hey Joe, Sorry for the delayed response. My job has been beating me senseless with all the travel, so I haven't been able to keep up with things as much as I would like to. As far as volume 2 goes, I have a lot of the groundwork done on them, and :::knock on wood::: I will have some solid time the first 3-4 months of next year where I can devote a ton of time to getting it done and printed. Outside of traveling for x-mas I should be home and at my computer for a few straight months ::::knock on wood yet again::::: Once I have an update I will pass it along.

Sounds good. Not demanding or anything, was just curious. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Got the book for Christmas. I wasn't love on first sight, but well, on second sight. I like the idea of presenting all the (US) games for the VCS in a row of books. First I didn't like the matte paper. Black appears in grey in the book - this is still an issue, but I don't have a problem with the matte paper anymore. The layout meets not really my taste, but I got used to it too. Allthough one can find all the info on the internet too (AA, AM, etc.), I would still recommend the book to Atari collectors and fans, and will most probably buy also Volume 2.

P.S.: I didn't read the whole thread here, so my question: Is there any way to check if I have the initial or the latest version of the book?

I am halfway through the book now. What I have noticed in the descriptions and the personal opinions by the author about the games is - the lack of enthusiasm for the Atari 2600. Most of the games are described as "fair" or even bad, and the author finds way more downsides than upsides on any game, pokes fun at the games, etc. Maybe there are really no good games in the beginning of the alphabet, and I have to accept that this is the opinion of the author. But for me it still puts into question why the author starts such a big project (four books!) about a video game system which games library he doesn't like. At least for me it seems so at the moment ...

Edited by ccc---
  • Like 2

I am halfway through the book now. What I have noticed in the descriptions and the personal opinions by the author about the games is - the lack of enthusiasm for the Atari 2600. Most of the games are described as "fair" or even bad, and the author finds way more downsides than upsides on any game, pokes fun at the games, etc. Maybe there are really no good games in the beginning of the alphabet, and I have to accept that this is the opinion of the author. But for me it still puts into question why the author starts such a big project (four books!) about a video game system which games library he doesn't like. At least for me it seems so at the moment ...

Hey this is Derek the author. I can understand how someone can get the sense that I don't like the 2600, but it couldn't be further from the truth. I started this project because I wanted to really explore the system that I grew up with (well, the first one that I grew up with. And to be honest, before embarking on this project I had probably only played a quarter of the library, so I was really looking forward to immersing myself in the system. That said, I have a lot of fond memories of the system, growing up playing it and whatnot. However, just because I have fondness for the 2600, it doesn't mean I'm going to give the games a pass or look at them through rose colored glasses. There were a lot of bad games on the system, just as there were a lot of good games. I purposely don't assign a score/rating to the games, rather I try to give the nuts and bolts of the game (i.e. what's good/what's bad). As far as poking fun at the games, that's simply my writing style and personality. A lot of these games have goofy stories or characters, and honestly that's part of the fun of it all which is why i poke fun.

And I apologize if this post was rambling and not very coherent, I just got back home from back to back trips, so I've literally been driving 24 out of the last 80 hours or so. Needless to say, my brain is fried....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My IBooks version has the same problem, I just downloaded it last week and was reading it on a plane today.

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

D'Oh! &*$% Apple. My apologies on that, for some reason they are still selling the wrong version. I will add that to my list of things to go back and correct (again). Thank you for posting that, and other than that snafu I hope that you are enjoying the book.

One thing, did you order it from the Canadian iBooks store?

D'Oh! &*$% Apple. My apologies on that, for some reason they are still selling the wrong version. I will add that to my list of things to go back and correct (again). Thank you for posting that, and other than that snafu I hope that you are enjoying the book.

One thing, did you order it from the Canadian iBooks store?

Yes, the Canadian iTunes/IBooks store. Do you have to upload to each individual store? Or is it a one time load and select countries?

It was nice to have the enhanced version of the book with the image galleries and videos while I was on the plane. My friend sitting beside me is a bigger Atari fan but doesn't hang out on forums much. There were many games he hadn't heard of so it was nice to see the videos.

While you're waiting for the corrected version, you might find this article about Demons to Diamonds to be informative, or at least fun to read:

http://www.orphanedgames.com/articles/Demons_to_Diamonds/Demons_to_Diamonds.html

Since I'm the one who wrote it, this is a non-classy, opportunistic, impolite plug that I hope Derek forgives me for. I just couldn't help it. My fingers started typing this post on their own, and now my hand is moving to click on "Post." Nooo...

Fool! We are in control! And don't even look at that "Edit" button!

Sincerely,

Your Hands

It's late. Blame fatigue.

• Like 4

Yes, the Canadian iTunes/IBooks store. Do you have to upload to each individual store? Or is it a one time load and select countries?

It was nice to have the enhanced version of the book with the image galleries and videos while I was on the plane. My friend sitting beside me is a bigger Atari fan but doesn't hang out on forums much. There were many games he hadn't heard of so it was nice to see the videos.

Well it's suppose to be you upload it to one and make it active on multiple stores, which based on the next post it looks like the same version is selling throughout the world. However, it appears that the uncorrected version is still the version it's defaulting to. Let's just say that the iTunesConnect software needs some upgrades....But glad to hear that your friend was enjoying the book.

While you're waiting for the corrected version, you might find this article about Demons to Diamonds to be informative, or at least fun to read:

http://www.orphanedgames.com/articles/Demons_to_Diamonds/Demons_to_Diamonds.html

Since I'm the one who wrote it, this is a non-classy, opportunistic, impolite plug that I hope Derek forgives me for. I just couldn't help it. My fingers started typing this post on their own, and now my hand is moving to click on "Post." Nooo...

Fool! We are in control! And don't even look at that "Edit" button!

Sincerely,

Your Hands

It's late. Blame fatigue.

Hahahaha, well played Chris. By all means, plug away!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...