IGNORED

VCS Encyclopedia "Coming Soon"

bfstats

Thanks Save! I really appreciate the support. I've been working hard on the next volumes, but took a much needed break to do a small side project on Phantasy Star II (just got the proof copy of it this weekend). Hopefully I will have some Volume 2 news here in a few weeks!

Received my copy today. Was aware of the print quality issues (non glossy, matte construction paper, inkjet looking), but at the $20 shipped I paid from Amazon (used, "like new"), not too bad! Would surely be disappointed had I paid $50 for something like this though. Content is just fine, but the quality is lacking big time at full retail. The pages *should* look like the ones advertised in post #7 for that kind of money. :)

post-13896-0-66973500-1460745751_thumb.jpg

*cover was a mess when I received it. Had these blotches of sticky crap on the front, back and spine. Can only imagine it was a B-class factory slop type of thing, stuff leftover from the manufacturing process. Cleaned right up though and am happy with the results.

Thinking about it, I'd rather the future books remain the same quality and at $20ea., makes sense to finish the collection. Be fine if there was a glossy option at full price for those more anal than I, but I'm happy with the pages and price as-is!

Received my copy today. Was aware of the print quality issues (non glossy, matte construction paper, inkjet looking), but at the $20 shipped I paid from Amazon (used, "like new"), not too bad! Would surely be disappointed had I paid $50 for something like this though. Content is just fine, but the quality is lacking big time at full retail. The pages *should* look like the ones advertised in post #7 for that kind of money. :)

attachicon.gif155rsc2.jpg

*cover was a mess when I received it. Had these blotches of sticky crap on the front, back and spine. Can only imagine it was a B-class factory slop type of thing, stuff leftover from the manufacturing process. Cleaned right up though and am happy with the results.

Thinking about it, I'd rather the future books remain the same quality and at $20ea., makes sense to finish the collection. Be fine if there was a glossy option at full price for those more anal than I, but I'm happy with the pages and price as-is!

First off thanks for purchasing, I appreciate the support. Some of the Amazon secondary sellers have been discounting it heavily of late (I even picked up a copy since they were selling it for less than I could buy it for direct from the printer).

As far as the price point, the $20 is all but impossible. The printer I'm using has literally just made some changes to the way they calculate their royalty payments to Amazon (found out about it less than a week ago), so I'm exploring the possibility of making a paperback edition, but even then it would be in the $35 dollar range.

I know that other projects are running kick starters and indiegogo campaigns to have full glossy versions of their projects made up, but in my case the reality is that I don't have the resources, time or infrastructure to go that route, which is why I'm with the printer I'm with.

I hope you enjoy the read though!

First off thanks for purchasing, I appreciate the support. Some of the Amazon secondary sellers have been discounting it heavily of late (I even picked up a copy since they were selling it for less than I could buy it for direct from the printer).

As far as the price point, the $20 is all but impossible. The printer I'm using has literally just made some changes to the way they calculate their royalty payments to Amazon (found out about it less than a week ago), so I'm exploring the possibility of making a paperback edition, but even then it would be in the $35 dollar range.

I know that other projects are running kick starters and indiegogo campaigns to have full glossy versions of their projects made up, but in my case the reality is that I don't have the resources, time or infrastructure to go that route, which is why I'm with the printer I'm with.

I hope you enjoy the read though!

I'm fine with the way the book is, but please make it into hardcover like the previous one. It would look horrible in my bookshelf if it had one hardcover and the rest paperback.

• Like 1

I'm fine with the way the book is, but please make it into hardcover like the previous one. It would look horrible in my bookshelf if it had one hardcover and the rest paperback.

I understand that completely, and there will always be a hardcover edition. I want it looking complete on my bookshelf as well!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Any news?

My work year is finally winding down, so I'm hoping to really be able to focus back on this project in the next month or so. Since my last post I had a stretch where i drove 6,000 miles in 6 weeks. Add into that a move into a new place and I barely remember my name at this point....

So I found this on Amazon prior to finding this thread. I have been holding off trying to decide which version to buy.

I love Hardbacks, but I am a little gun shy from the reviews I have read about paper and print quality.

Is the Paperback version better quality than the HB?

So I found this on Amazon prior to finding this thread. I have been holding off trying to decide which version to buy.

I love Hardbacks, but I am a little gun shy from the reviews I have read about paper and print quality.

Is the Paperback version better quality than the HB?

A lot of the print quality issues have been corrected with both versions (fading, images cropped off page, etc). The paper quality is still non-glossy however. Both versions come from the same printer, but in my personal opinion I'm kind of partial to the paperback version as it seems to have a slight edge over the hardback. And for the record, I actually make less on the paperbacks, so I don't want you to think I'm steering you that way for the money!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

How about an update?! Volume 1 looks rather lonely on the shelf.

Yeah I know, it looks mighty lonely on my shelf as well.

OK, so here's the current update. My day job has me traveling extensively for 7-8 months out of the year (I have a 3,000 mile, 12 day road trip this month, on top of a couple of others), and my hope was that this past winter I'd have some down time to be able to focus on writing and getting volume 2 out the door. Instead just as my year was winding down I got a "promotion" of sorts to manage the office during the offseason, handling all the backend things like scheduling and whatnot. This meant a significant amount of money, but also meant I'd be working 10 hour days during the week. It appears as though that might be coming to an end after this current busy season, or at the very least being reduced to maybe a day or two each week. If that happens I have everything set up and ready to go to devote to getting volume two (and others) finished.

The good news is that if my job goes as expected, I'll be able to consistently have 3-4 months every year which I can devote to writing full time (and I have a lot of projects that have gone through the pre-production stage, which is the only thing I can really do in bits and pieces). The bad news is, it's going to be a little longer before that kicks in.

• Like 2

Good to hear from you. Glad to know the project isn't "completed" incompletely. Seen way too much of that.

Thanks for the update, and congrats on the "promotion".

Sure thing, thanks for the continued interest.

When I started volume 1 I was working a dead end 9-5 M-F job, and right as I was finishing it I got my current job and it kinda threw my plans for the project onto the back burner. I'm really anxious to get back to work on this project (and the half dozen others I've prepped), so almost looking forward to getting "demoted" at the end of the year.

First things first though, gotta survive 20-25 thousand miles on the road between now and November.....

• 1 year later...