IGNORED

VCS Encyclopedia "Coming Soon"

bfstats

Bought the iBooks version - rather disappointed to be honest, none of the layout or graphic design shown in the print version preview images is present - very vanilla, looks like an early 90's website :-(

Is the PDF at all like the book visually?

sTeVE

Hello sTeVE,

Yes the PDF version is a identical to the printed version of Derek's book so it contains all the visual fidelity people have been enjoying, sorry to hear you were disappointed with the iBook version, but does contain over 80 minutes of video gameplay footage exclusively created for the iBooks version along with more screenshots, although the the PDF and physical book contains over 500 in the volume, the iBook version has more. As regards to the design, Derek was responsible for it, as I don't own a Mac, so I'm off the hook lol.

But I wouldn't be disappointed , as the information is good and written well in the book in my opinion and isn't that why we buy these books in the first place, for the information?

• Like 1

To be fair, no I did it but it for the information since that is readily available elsewhere for free.

I bought it expecting a beautifully laid out experience, a celebration of the 2600 - as you advertise.

And the iBooks version is not that - it is poor quality IMHO - poorly edited and laid out - I am disappointed!

sTeVE

sTeVE, I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed in the iBooks version. I thought it was discussed in greater detail in this thread but it must have been another forum (they all start to run together after a while), but the iBooks version is not identical to the print/PDF versions. This is because I wanted to include gameplay footage in it, which means it needed to be built using Apple's iBooks Author. Unfortunately the iBooks Author software is very difficult to design with, and somewhat buggy on top of that, which is why the design is simpler than the print version. It's also why I made it so it's possible to download a sample chapter. I understand your disappointment and will go back and put a notation on my website link that clarifies that the iBooks version is a different layout to avoid issues in the future. Even with the disappointment, I hope that you enjoy the read nonetheless.

I'm just reading the X-PSX Master book covering all PS1 titles from around the world. It's 3 Volumes (and a check list), 1000+ pages, full of errors, typos, mismatched info and more. But it's still nice for reference.

Read a book from Lee Child (Jack Reacher guy) or Stephen King, typos all over those books, proofreaders on holiday perhaps?

But also, it's not easy to even proofread all the stuff, my ex-wife wrote Enigma under the pen name Wolf Black (available on Smashwords btw).

I had the pleasure of proofreading it, I must have read it more than a 100 times (well it seemed like it). Still finding errors in the finished/published version. That's the way it is......

Edited by high voltage
  • Like 1

I appreciate the iBooks version is not likely to be identical to the print version, but the material sold under the guise of this book is just poorly done, sorry.

Take a look at the myriad interactive iBooks and magazines built with the apple tools that do retain the style of the printed work and incorporate the multimedia features - check out the Gamesworkshop publications or Commodore 64 A Visual Commpendium. The latter visually the same as the printed tome, but with added multimedia.

To charge £9.99 for something so poorly produced is to be honest quite a rip off. I will be seeking a refund from Apple...

Amateur implementation with a professional price is not a fair approach to take IMHO.

sTeVE

Take a look at the myriad interactive iBooks and magazines built with the apple tools that do retain the style of the printed work and incorporate the multimedia features - check out the Gamesworkshop publications or Commodore 64 A Visual Commpendium. The latter visually the same as the printed tome, but with added multimedia.

I don't think I've seen Commodore 64: a Visual Commpendium. I also haven't seen anything by Games Workshop. Too bad there are no reviews yet for that Commodore 64 book at Amazon. I'd like to know more about it.

I don't go for the whole electronic book thing. I find it impersonal and I like to relax in a chair or in bed while reading. Spending your life in front of a screen, whether it be a tv, phone, computer monitor, tablet, etc. cannot be good overall for your eyes. I've never personally bought an electronic book and really don't have any plans on doing so. Like I said to Derek, I'd be glad to help him edit this first volume, and the others if he's willing to accept my help. I spend my life correcting teens in school, and on occasion, my wife who tells me she's not one of my students.

Phil

BTW, I can tell you right now there are usually many errors in the textbooks in school, and they are supposed to be proofread by many people.

Edited by Philflound
  • Like 3

There was always going to be huge expectations for a project like this and given the vast amount of information attempting to be covered and the timescale involved, of course there are bound to be typo's, a few bits of information found to be 'incorrect' amongst all the things the book does (by sounds of feedback so far) get very right and lessons can be learned for future volumes in terms of how to promote the various versions of the book and make clear how they differ between digital and physical copies and thus give the consumer a clear idea of which version might be more suitable for them and their pockets and why.

That's where constructive feedback plays a vital role and i'm sure Derek will take all of it on-board, digest it and use it wisely when making the 2nd volume.

Which is exactly why I've been offering corrections/feedback/comments as I've been reading through my PDF copy of this. ;)

Editing is very hard, and with something like this when you have x number of people saying this and y number of people saying that is complicated.

• Like 1

The VCS book is a chance for those of us in my age group to recapture the sheer warmth and magic of a system that was such a key part of our childhoods.The machine was simply THE machine everyone had at that time.So it's going to be an ideal book to dip into as/when, to share with friends (who've maybe never touched a gaming system since), to basically recapture the warm n fuzzy feelings etc.

We are'nt going to 'worry' if a mere handful of facts are incorrect, as long as author is'nt attempting to re-write history to present an alt.view to what really happened or altering sales figures, quotes etc to present the hardware/games or Atari itself in a more favourable light than they might deserve, then i'll be bloody chuffed to buy a copy.

As for the errors themselves? show me a publication that has'nt got them.

Launching a project like this across Physical Copy, iBooks and PDF must have been a mammoth juggling act at the best of times and with regards Vol.2, and this is where Derek will simply need to rely on the feedback/constructive critiscm of those kind enough to leave feedback already and those planning to do so.

It's only by people taking time out to describe what they feel worked and what they'd like to see improved in future volumes, that volume 2 can improve on what's already been achieved in the 1st volume alone.This is where community sites like this can play a key role in shaping future volumes and projects.

Errors creep into 99.9% of all projects i'm sure, despite the very best efforts, it happens.I was surprised a while back to see the Panther described as the console Atari released after the Jaguar in a side note relating to a superb interview piece, but it did'nt detract from my overal enjoyment and i'm sure a few gremlins in Vol 1 of the VCS Enc.won't either :-)

I do understand that errors are likely in any large and complex undertaking - inevitable even. And some mistakes I am happy to overlook if they allow access to an overall well conceived and executed idea. The iBooks version is not covered in my opinion by those sentiments, I have a copy and feel it is very poor.

I think that I would have been more satisfied with the PDF as a digital version - after all the visual polish of the teaser material is what drew me towards this project. If the printed version comes out at a reasonable UK price £25/£30 I will likely buy a copy.

sTeVE

I checked out the sample at the iTunes store, and I agree with the other comments. It doesn't look anything like the print book, and that's a bummer. You can request a sample from the iTunes store, and it gives you apparently one chapter. The one on Activision Decthalon.

Yes, I understand that it has the extra video footage, and that's way cool, but the VERY NICE looking layout I see in the screen grabs from the physical book is not there and THAT is the disappointment. I've read all the msgs up to this point, and I can appreciate the WHY of it. But it is still pretty spartan on the iBooks side. I could overlook that, but the other digital format doesn't have that restriction, so it feels like a bit of a bummer.

I know it is possible to do this with a Kindle publication, as I bought this book through the Kindle store, and it has a truckload of videos embedded in it. So it CAN be done. I just don't know the technical side of it enough to know how or recommend a path to achieve it.

Actually, I have a suggestion and I guess people can comment on it, and see how much cost would be added. I've gotten several price guides that have a cd version included with the print. That may attract buyers who would be interested in having both a physical copy and a pdf / digital copy. What do you guys think?

Phil

Actually, I have a suggestion and I guess people can comment on it, and see how much cost would be added. I've gotten several price guides that have a cd version included with the print. That may attract buyers who would be interested in having both a physical copy and a pdf / digital copy. What do you guys think?

Phil

+1

I checked out the sample at the iTunes store, and I agree with the other comments. It doesn't look anything like the print book, and that's a bummer. You can request a sample from the iTunes store, and it gives you apparently one chapter. The one on Activision Decthalon.

Yes, I understand that it has the extra video footage, and that's way cool, but the VERY NICE looking layout I see in the screen grabs from the physical book is not there and THAT is the disappointment. I've read all the msgs up to this point, and I can appreciate the WHY of it. But it is still pretty spartan on the iBooks side. I could overlook that, but the other digital format doesn't have that restriction, so it feels like a bit of a bummer.

I know it is possible to do this with a Kindle publication, as I bought this book through the Kindle store, and it has a truckload of videos embedded in it. So it CAN be done. I just don't know the technical side of it enough to know how or recommend a path to achieve it.

For the record, I bought the iBook version anyway. Still think it could have been nicer, but I did support it.